Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Swap Shoppe > Wanted: Dead or Alive!
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2012, 03:47 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Default WTD: Estes Challenger 1

Looking for a Challenger 1. Not overly desiring the rest of the 'starter kit' - mainly just interested in the rocket. As with many, was my first rocket and I have zero idea what happened to it over the years.

Thank you.
Old 08-06-2012, 10:23 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomm
Looking for a Challenger 1. Not overly desiring the rest of the 'starter kit' - mainly just interested in the rocket. As with many, was my first rocket and I have zero idea what happened to it over the years.

Thank you.

There was just one on eBay the past week. Might be gone by now, but worth a check.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 08-06-2012, 11:01 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
There was just one on eBay the past week. Might be gone by now, but worth a check.

Earl

There's a box full of garbage for $75. It's got some of the launch pad parts and the Challenger decals, but nothing resembling the rocket. BUT, it does come with free shipping, which should save you considerable bucks.
I think you can use the fin can for the currently available SkyWriter to clone the Challenger 1. Pick up a PNC-50Y from Semroc and a set of decals from Gordon. Or you can get some inkjet decal paper and print your own. That's what I did.
http://www.rocketreviews.com/estes-...chelberger.html

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Mini Dactyl Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Groonie Der V 1/2
Old 08-06-2012, 11:59 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:

Earl

Oops, no I was thinking of the larger Challenger II that used the old Enerjet platic fin can. There was one of those on ebay last week.

Yes, that Challenger 1 set that is currently listed ain't the deal you want.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 08-07-2012, 12:07 AM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Oops, no I was thinking of the larger Challenger II that used the old Enerjet platic fin can. There was one of those on ebay last week.

Yes, that Challenger 1 set that is currently listed ain't the deal you want.

Earl

I didn't figure you were pointing him that way, Earl. That was just what I happened to find when I did an Ebay search. (Actually I'm just trying to psych him because I want the wealth of rocketry materials in that lot. A BARGAIN at only $75 if you ask me. )

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Mini Dactyl Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Old 08-07-2012, 09:50 AM
Junior Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
I think you can use the fin can for the currently available SkyWriter to clone the Challenger 1. Pick up a PNC-50Y from Semroc and a set of decals from Gordon.

Hmmmm, that sounds like a good idea. Thanks!
Old 08-09-2012, 08:00 AM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
There's a box full of garbage for $75. It's got some of the launch pad parts and the Challenger decals, but nothing resembling the rocket. BUT, it does come with free shipping, which should save you considerable bucks.
I think you can use the fin can for the currently available SkyWriter to clone the Challenger 1. Pick up a PNC-50Y from Semroc and a set of decals from Gordon. Or you can get some inkjet decal paper and print your own. That's what I did.

The Skywriter/E2X fin can has a different shape than the Challenger 1. The new can has wedge shaped fins and the leading edge is ever so slightly swept. The Challenger 1 can is more robust. The leading edge is not swept at all. The Challenger fins have mold lines running down the center, and have a slight diamond airfoil. It's part number is PRP-1G. The Skywriter style can has various part numbers, probably based on the color plastic used.

The Star Trek starter rocket and the Kadet are the only rockets that I know for sure to have the same fin can as the Challenger 1. The Star Wars Proton Torpedo most likely does also, but I've never had one in my hands to see for sure. I know it was available before the Challenger starter set was discontinued.

The Scorpion, Mongoose, Athena, America, Skywriter, Generic E2X bulk kit, etc. all have the puny wedge shaped can.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:39 AM
German Model Rocket Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
The Scorpion, Mongoose, Athena, America, Skywriter, Generic E2X bulk kit, etc. all have the puny wedge shaped can.

Incorrect. The Scorpion had the same fin can as the Challenger I.

Edit: Atleast all the Scorpions I have built.

My rocket fleet and more @ Leo's Leisure Site and on YouTube - My latest project: ALTDuino

Last edited by Leo : 08-09-2012 at 10:12 AM.
Old 08-09-2012, 02:51 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
The Skywriter/E2X fin can has a different shape than the Challenger 1. The new can has wedge shaped fins and the leading edge is ever so slightly swept. The Challenger 1 can is more robust. The leading edge is not swept at all. The Challenger fins have mold lines running down the center, and have a slight diamond airfoil. It's part number is PRP-1G. The Skywriter style can has various part numbers, probably based on the color plastic used.

The Star Trek starter rocket and the Kadet are the only rockets that I know for sure to have the same fin can as the Challenger 1. The Star Wars Proton Torpedo most likely does also, but I've never had one in my hands to see for sure. I know it was available before the Challenger starter set was discontinued.

Yeah, but I was just talking "close enough".

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 08-09-2012, 10:26 PM
Did you see that yaw control?

I got the whole starter kit last week on eBay. I really just wanted the launch pad; I've already created by BT-5 downscale to fly. The rocket is built but it looks good and I'm positive it would fly or display nice. Send me a PM and we can work something out.