Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Kit Collecting
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2010, 03:24 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl@Semroc
We have been working on a project to try to locate some of our early production numbers. We consider them missing. The idea is to let the server randomly pick a model and serial number and post it for a week. If the number is located built with a serial tag, we will offer a $25 gift certificate and if it is unbuilt, we will offer $50 gift certificate as bounty for locating the missing rocket. (Kit does not have to be returned, just a photo will be required.
Carl, do all of your kits have numbers or just the early production runs? I just got two kits from you that (as far as I can tell) don't have numbers on them.
Old 08-15-2010, 06:27 PM
Junior ??? Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCBadger
Carl, do all of your kits have numbers or just the early production runs? I just got two kits from you that (as far as I can tell) don't have numbers on them.
Only the early kits have numbers. They have ranged from the first 100 to the first 25, depending on the guessed popularity. We always keep the first 5, send #6 to the person most responsible for helping us get the kit out, then the numbers in order to the early orders. We generally limit the number of kits with production numbers to one per customer and do not ship production numbers to dealers. Usually there is not much demand for numbers over 25. This is one of the reasons we are trying to get this promotion in place.
NAR#4717 L2
semroc.com
Old 08-15-2010, 06:36 PM
Master Modeler

Also, one early serial number kit has a Platinum Ticket, which grants the finder a tour of the underground laboratory where Semroc uses alien technology to fabricate parts and ship orders before the customer is finished ordering.
Old 08-15-2010, 06:40 PM
Junior ??? Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanj
Also, one early serial number kit has a Platinum Ticket, which grants the finder a tour of the underground laboratory where Semroc uses alien technology to fabricate parts and ship orders before the customer is finished ordering.

Shucks, every kit has one of those!
NAR#4717 L2
semroc.com
Old 08-15-2010, 07:34 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Only the early kits have numbers. They have ranged from the first 100 to the first 25, depending on the guessed popularity. We always keep the first 5, send #6 to the person most responsible for helping us get the kit out, then the numbers in order to the early orders. We generally limit the number of kits with production numbers to one per customer and do not ship production numbers to dealers. Usually there is not much demand for numbers over 25. This is one of the reasons we are trying to get this promotion in place.

So.....how is it that I have production number 7 of the Start, but so does "crocodile" in Huntsville? From your description above it would be the first one after whoever it was that helped you create it. Certainly some of them left your hands at NARAM?

BTW, I just wanted to toss in here that I'm so happy that you've that huge lawyer-delivered concern off your shoulders so you can pop in here and answer silly questions like this one.

The mini Hustler from the first post is now under construction, BTW.
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 08-15-2010, 07:37 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
We always keep the first 5, send #6 to the person most responsible for helping us get the kit out, then the numbers in order to the early orders.

Best I ever got was a #8.

But it had a personal note from Sheryl, which makes it better than a #6, IMHO.
Old 08-15-2010, 07:40 PM
Junior ??? Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
So.....how is it that I have production number 7 of the Start, but so does "crocodile" in Huntsville? From your description above it would be the first one after whoever it was that helped you create it. Certainly some of them left your hands at NARAM?

BTW, I just wanted to toss in here that I'm so happy that you've that huge lawyer-delivered concern off your shoulders so you can pop in here and answer silly questions like this one.

The mini Hustler from the first post is now under construction, BTW.

I do not know how there are two #7's. There should not be a way for that to happen.

We never take kits with production numbers to events, since ltvscout wound up with #5 of the BatRoc because of this.
NAR#4717 L2
semroc.com
Old 08-15-2010, 07:41 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcmbanjo
Let me know how the Squatty Body launch goes!
I should be flying #0000 (prototype #4) again today at the N.E.F.A.R. launch in Bunnell, FL.

It went nicely but landed pretty hard. I flew it on an Estes A8-3. The streamer partly melted and mostly shredded and the little plastic widget glued into the nose cone popped on landing. Also the stuffer tube was damaged. The fins came out OK though.

Dan Meadows, another BEMRC club member (and the fellow who actually ordered 'em from JonRocket) also flew his and suffered similar damage, especially to the stuffer tube.

Note that our flying site is dead grass at the moment - no real soft places to land.

My Squatty Body is back in flying shape with a bit bigger streamer of the metalized streamer material that BMS uses in the School Rocket and a rather more well-filleted nose cone-to-shock cord attach fitting installation.
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 08-15-2010, 07:51 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
I do not know how there are two #7's. There should not be a way for that to happen.

Well, I went to take a picture to post and....um.....I somehow read it wrong the other day. I have Start #9

..... never mind......
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 08-15-2010, 09:53 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
I do not know how there are two #7's. There should not be a way for that to happen. :

Someone ran a kit through the matter replicator after the serial number plate went in rather than before.