Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Cardstock Rocketry
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2013, 08:55 PM
Rocket buildin' machine

That's just a testament to their durability, though to be honest, that one has been retired after one other subsequent flight.

For those not in on the joke, that model had flown maybe 8-10 times, never a problem. Then I had one of those days...managed to sneak away for NSL one year but could only make it for one day, so packed and prepped about 30 models for a really busy day. Got there right when they opened, but launch equipment was buggered up, took a few hours before the range was live. Then I proceeded to destroy just about everything I'd brought. Stable rockets previously flown started flying like bats on crack. Ejection charge on a reload (stock red cap) fell off, and a gorgeous QModeling Mega Vega failed to deploy, shovel recovery.

The model pictured started off OK, then arced over and buzzed over vendor row. It pranged and flew itself directly into that trash dumpster, directly behind the Fliskits tent. One of my more memorable not-quite-by-the-book recoveries.

Mario wrote the book on construction, one of these days I'm going to write the book on destruction .
Old 04-11-2013, 09:07 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanstevens
Mario wrote the book on construction, one of these days I'm going to write the book on destruction .

I'll write the fire chapter.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 04-11-2013, 09:12 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanstevens
That's just a testament to their durability, though to be honest, that one has been retired after one other subsequent flight.

For those not in on the joke, that model had flown maybe 8-10 times, never a problem. Then I had one of those days...managed to sneak away for NSL one year but could only make it for one day, so packed and prepped about 30 models for a really busy day. Got there right when they opened, but launch equipment was buggered up, took a few hours before the range was live. Then I proceeded to destroy just about everything I'd brought. Stable rockets previously flown started flying like bats on crack. Ejection charge on a reload (stock red cap) fell off, and a gorgeous QModeling Mega Vega failed to deploy, shovel recovery.

The model pictured started off OK, then arced over and buzzed over vendor row. It pranged and flew itself directly into that trash dumpster, directly behind the Fliskits tent. One of my more memorable not-quite-by-the-book recoveries. .

I had literally been out of my car for two minutes. Carl and I were chatting a few feet away from the trashcan when the horn blew for rocket over the spectator area. I looked up and saw the rocket coming down, and knew whose it was right away, having been present for most of those 8-10 previous flights. I called the picture "Nothing But Net", but as you can see, one fin caught the rim.
Chan, shouldn't you change your brag line to read "Retired Rocket Building Machine"?

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 06-23-2013, 03:18 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
You forgot one.

--If your recovery skills are not that mad, aim for the nearest dumpster.
It looks like a bit of..."Tintinabulation" (of one sort or another) was associated with it... :-)
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR