Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2017, 11:22 PM
Too Many Initiators is Never Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x7
By the way, on the Astrocam pic, is that taken by the Scott Pearce later of Aerotech?

Yes.

Scott was my roomie when we both worked for AeroTech and that is a picture he took with an Astrocam.

There's a funny story to go with it.

Estes announced a contest for the best Astrocam picture with the prize being an all expenses paid trip to Disneyland.

Scott and Herb Desind (Mr. Cineroc) teamed up and drove all over the country flying Astrocams. I think I recall Scott had a photo album of pictures he took on that trip with Herb.

So, Herb and Scott picked their best pictures and sent them off to Estes and waited for the contest results.

When the results were announced...

The winner was a kid who took a pretty pedestrian picture of a field.
That kid happened to live in Anaheim, California.

Anaheim is the location of Disneyland.
You can guess that the 'bean-counters' were involved in the photo selection ("Won't need plane tickets or hotel room").

Scott was PI$$ED!
He called up Mary Roberts at Estes and chewed her out. It takes a lot to get Scott angry.

A little while later Scott and Herb received packets from Estes containing hundreds of dollars in Estes gift certificates.
Scott was 'mollified'.

Last edited by Initiator001 : 04-22-2017 at 01:06 AM.
Old 04-22-2017, 12:23 AM
7/21/61

Great story, Bob!

Do you think that scrapbook of pictures still exists somewhere? It would be a hoot to see those posted here.

Steve
Old 04-22-2017, 09:35 AM
Old Submariner

This thread has now energized me into finding my old AstroCam photos! (all 2 or 3 of them.)

4 out of 3 people struggle with math.

Chemically, alcohol IS a solution.

NAR# 94042
SAM# 0078
Old 04-22-2017, 08:51 PM
Master Modeler

I remember these. Like GH stated they were found in the late 70s and 80s kits.
Old 04-24-2017, 06:39 AM
Master Modeler

I remember the Astrocam guide recommended you skip a photo every time you advanced the film. I would get about 6 photos on a 12 shot roll of film on it. Maybe one or two would be worth keeping. The best one I ever had was using the Challenger II on a D12-7, shooting from a park in Glen Rose TX. I got a great picture of the bridge on Highway 67 over the Brazos River. Next best one I got was the containment domes at Comanche Peak nuke plant (where I worked at the time).
Old 04-24-2017, 03:49 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

I remember when Estes announced the winner of the Astrocam contest and the lousy photo that won.
Seemed Crooked-azzed cheap then and still does now.
Highly doubt that would have happened with Vern at the helm and know it would not now with Hobbico in charge. In between the two, not shocked.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 04-25-2017, 02:26 PM
Flying since 1977

To date, I have only been able to get two usable photos from both of my Astrocams. It is interesting that both of them are reverse Astrocam shots taken during staging on a Warp II booster.

Mike Toelle

NAR 31692 L1

SAM 0373
Old 08-08-2017, 01:13 PM
Astrosaint

The photo showing the old Three Mile Island Atomic Plant in PA was part of a montage that was put together by the Herb Desind (Mr. Cineroc himself) and another rocketeer who flew their Astrocam 110s over and over again. When all the pictures were developed, they were put on poster board and the entire power plant and surrounding grounds could be seen. A photo of the montage was shown at the Pearl River Model Rocket Seminar during Herb's rocket photo lecture in 1984. I was fascinated by the amount of work to get the images. They formed an "S" shape with the power plant image in the center.
Old 08-10-2017, 04:24 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrosaint
The photo showing the old Three Mile Island Atomic Plant in PA was part of a montage that was put together by the Herb Desind (Mr. Cineroc himself) and another rocketeer who flew their Astrocam 110s over and over again. When all the pictures were developed, they were put on poster board and the entire power plant and surrounding grounds could be seen. A photo of the montage was shown at the Pearl River Model Rocket Seminar during Herb's rocket photo lecture in 1984. I was fascinated by the amount of work to get the images. They formed an "S" shape with the power plant image in the center.
Nowadays, one could "PhotoShop-in" simulated film fogging due to the radiation... :-)
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR