Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Doctor is In! > Ask the Doctor
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2008, 01:00 PM
advanced rocketeer

Thumbs up estes classic series

looking over the classic series that estes has on there web site. i just can not see estes bringing out this number of kits all in a year. i hope it happens but i have my doubts. plus this is a series, tells me that other kits will be in the l;ineup for 09 a standard lineup as well . tell me why all but 1 of the kits are skill 1 or 2 . why is the thunder roc a 3 and not a 1 or 2. it says easy to build. i would think the alien invader,satellite interceptor and photon probe would all be more difficult to build. can not wait for 09 and the realse of these kits .
Old 11-22-2008, 02:32 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by motley16
looking over the classic series that estes has on there web site. i just can not see estes bringing out this number of kits all in a year. i hope it happens but i have my doubts.

Yes I'll believe it when I see it. Didn't they announce a bunch of new kits a while back and then not come through with them...???
Old 11-22-2008, 03:51 PM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas2047
Yes I'll believe it when I see it. Didn't they announce a bunch of new kits a while back and then not come through with them...???

All one needs to do is go to the Vendor forum here and search Estes to see all of the announcements of their new kits I scooped since '05. You'll find many of the kits never made it to the shelves.
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 11-22-2008, 05:16 PM
Master Modeler

Send a message via Yahoo to barone

Quote:
......... why is the thunder roc a 3 and not a 1 or 2. it says easy to build. i would think the alien invader,satellite interceptor and photon probe would all be more difficult to build. can not wait for 09 and the realse of these kits .

At one time, Estes was listing their D powered birds at higher skill levels because they were D powered birds. Yeah, doesn't make since but I guess you needed more skill to fly on a D than you do on a C.....well, recovery skill that is....
Old 11-26-2008, 08:35 PM
advanced rocketeer

Default blue bird zero

what is the history of this kit? what years did estes offer it?
Old 11-26-2008, 09:11 PM
Incurable SEMROC Fan

Thumbs up Teaching a Rocketeer how to Research

Quote:
what is the history of this kit? what years did estes offer it?
motley16,

Here's the beginning of your adventure.

Go to the following website:

http://www.ninfinger.org/~sven/rockets/rockets.html

Scroll down to "Estes publications" and look through the old Estes catalogs until you find when the Blue Bird Zero first showed up, and then look for it until it finally disappears.

Then go here (JimZ) and poke around until you find plans for the "Blue Bird Zero."

http://www.dars.org/jimz/estes.htm

Figuring out how to do this kind of research is half the fun of the whole process.

Now go, and tell us what you find out.

Cheers,
Semroc SAM #0029
NAR 86131

"I think about organizing things all the time. Never seems to happen. I find something that piques my interest and I'm off on a quest. Or a Centuri. "

--Bill Eichelberger, 02/22/2022

“Centuri fret buzz in an updated form.”
Bill “Wallyum” Eichelberger re: Estes Flutter-By
03 Sept 2014
Old 11-26-2008, 11:09 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenturiGuy
Scroll down to "Estes publications" and look through the old Estes catalogs until you find when the Blue Bird Zero first showed up, and then look for it until it finally disappears.

Figuring out how to do this kind of research is half the fun of the whole process.

Isn't there an olde kit list over on Ye Olde Rocket Store site somewhere? I think the entry in that kit list might be a tad easier way to find the years the kit sold--although not nearly so educational.

Hmmm. Interesting to see the Firefly sharing a page with it. Wasn't the Firefly originally a part of the Cold Power assortment? By the time of this kit, cold power is long gone.
Old 11-27-2008, 07:25 AM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Walther
Isn't there an olde kit list over on Ye Olde Rocket Store site somewhere? I think the entry in that kit list might be a tad easier way to find the years the kit sold--although not nearly so educational.

Hmmm. Interesting to see the Firefly sharing a page with it. Wasn't the Firefly originally a part of the Cold Power assortment? By the time of this kit, cold power is long gone.

It came with the X-13 coldpower kit. BTW, the Stiletto and Polaris started the same way. They were originally the Shark and Marauder as coldpower kits. They got new names and paint jobs like so many other rehashes Estes did over the years.
Old 11-27-2008, 07:31 AM
Master Modeler

Send a message via Yahoo to barone

Quote:
Isn't there an olde kit list over on Ye Olde Rocket Store site somewhere? I think the entry in that kit list might be a tad easier way to find the years the kit sold--although not nearly so educational...............

Yep....

http://rocketshoppe.com/kit_lists.htm
Old 11-27-2008, 10:54 AM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:

could be (probably is) the Centuri Firefly, a shorty motor two-stager (that Semroc also makes!), instead of the piggy back glider that was spun off from the cold powers.