Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2015, 10:26 AM
Custom Cone, Kit & Decal Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///
Cheers again.
Yeah I crunched the numbers and for the BT-80 it works out to 12.2mm for the WAC.
Shame the V2 isn't based on 3" tube like the Big Daddy, as the BT-5 would be dang near perfect (14.0mm) oh well, no one will notice anyway!

Ahhh but they will notice the Bumper stage if you put a 13mm upper stage motor in it!

Now...if you want to make a 3" V-2 you just need a Big Daddy (the nose cone matches a V-2 cone perfectly), plus it's 3" in diameter.
Then get another Big Daddy nose cone to cut for a tail cone.

You just have to shorten the body and make some new fins.

I thing BMS has the Big Daddy nose cones but his site seems to be down right now.

I have all the parts to do it I just haven't done it yet.

http://sandmandecals.com/
Old 07-20-2015, 11:08 AM
Simon

Ah yeah haha, I was thinking maybe rolling some paper around a 12mm rod for a body tube and maybe an MMX motor, but....
I didn't realise the Big Daddy nose cone was the same profile as the V2.... I have three Scion kits and Two Leviathan kits here, same nose cones.
Things just got interesting
Old 07-20-2015, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///
Ah yeah haha, I was thinking maybe rolling some paper around a 12mm rod for a body tube and maybe an MMX motor, but....
I didn't realise the Big Daddy nose cone was the same profile as the V2.... I have three Scion kits and Two Leviathan kits here, same nose cones.
Things just got interesting

Well...there ya go!

Now on mine I made the Wac upper stage is a dummy and my fins are made out of some sheet styrene and I used Tenex to glue them in.

On yours you'll just have to cut the slots but I think you'll have to make some extra Wac upper stages 'cause I really don't think you'll be able to get it back.

It's just so tiny and it's going to be awfully high when the upper stage ignites.

I know my eyes wouldn't see it.

As for decals, this was a long time ago so I used automotive pin stripe, masked the black roll pattern and found som "B's" and "8's" in some old dry transfer lettering I had.

I have more information plus Peter Always "In the Shadow of the V-2" booklet if you need more information on the black/white roll patterns for rounds B-5, B-7 and B-8.

Old 07-20-2015, 05:44 PM
I do not like Facebook

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///
Cheers again.
Yeah I crunched the numbers and for the BT-80 it works out to 12.2mm for the WAC.
Shame the V2 isn't based on 3" tube like the Big Daddy, as the BT-5 would be dang near perfect (14.0mm) oh well, no one will notice anyway!

This may not be helpful for you down under, but 12.2mm is .48". T-4+ from Totally Tubular, if they still have it, is .478...

If you really feel the need to stage it, use a MicroMaxx - you probably will not be able to see it anyway.

Bill

If your June, July, August and September was like this, you might just hate summer too...

Please unload your question before you ask it unless you have a concealed harry permit.

: countdown begin cr dup . 1- ?dup 0= until cr ." Launch!" cr ;

Give a man a rocket and he will fly for a day; teach him to build and he will spend the rest of his days sanding...
Old 07-21-2015, 09:42 AM
Cardstock Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregGleason
That's one of the most detailed drawings of the Bumper I've seen. Do you remember what the source was?

One thing that is missing from it are the two spin motors on the WAC. Those same spin motors were the ones that were later used on the Honest John.

Greg

Hi Greg,

Not sure where I found it.

I use Peter Alway's book Rockets of The World for the scale drawing, however, have to keep looking on-line to find detailed drawings for panel lines and rivets. Look at various sites, usually just saving what I find.

Mike
Old 07-21-2015, 10:19 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
That's one of the most detailed drawings of the Bumper I've seen. Do you remember what the source was?

The Bumper drawing previously posted to this thread was created by Jan Kotuha, a scale model rocket builder from Slovakia and a previous world champion. He will be the head scale judge at the European Spacemodeling Championships to be held later this summer.

The Bumper WAC was the preferred entry for the FAI scale altitude event for the last several cycles. Tony Reynolds of the USA won the gold medal at the 2004 Championships with a 1/26.5-scale staged Bumper that utilized an Estes B6 in the V-2 booster, staged to a 10mm Delta B2-7 in the sustainer. The winning altitude was well in excess of 2200 feet, and the model resides in the NAR exhibit at the Seattle Museum of Flight today.

In recent years the US team has campaigned 1/24-scale Bumper models, finishing in fourth place as a team the last two cycles. Bumpers became so dominant in the event that the rules were changed this year to require larger models, and hopefully a wider spread of entries.

James
Old 07-21-2015, 10:27 PM
U.S. Manned Space Program Buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbauer
Hi Greg,

Not sure where I found it.

I use Peter Alway's book Rockets of The World for the scale drawing, however, have to keep looking on-line to find detailed drawings for panel lines and rivets. Look at various sites, usually just saving what I find.

Mike

Thanks. I usually do the same thing as well.

Greg
Old 07-21-2015, 10:31 PM
U.S. Manned Space Program Buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket.aero
The Bumper drawing previously posted to this thread was created by Jan Kotuha, a scale model rocket builder from Slovakia and a previous world champion. He will be the head scale judge at the European Spacemodeling Championships to be held later this summer.

The Bumper WAC was the preferred entry for the FAI scale altitude event for the last several cycles. Tony Reynolds of the USA won the gold medal at the 2004 Championships with a 1/26.5-scale staged Bumper that utilized an Estes B6 in the V-2 booster, staged to a 10mm Delta B2-7 in the sustainer. The winning altitude was well in excess of 2200 feet, and the model resides in the NAR exhibit at the Seattle Museum of Flight today.

In recent years the US team has campaigned 1/24-scale Bumper models, finishing in fourth place as a team the last two cycles. Bumpers became so dominant in the event that the rules were changed this year to require larger models, and hopefully a wider spread of entries.

James

Thanks James for the history.

I love Bumpers and I hope to convert an Estes Maxi V-2 I have to a Bumper in the future.

Greg
Old 07-22-2015, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Thanks James for the history.

I love Bumpers and I hope to convert an Estes Maxi V-2 I have to a Bumper in the future.

Greg

A Maxi V-2 works out to within a few hundreds oF a mm to a BT-20 for the Wac.

Last edited by sandman : 07-31-2015 at 09:18 AM.
Old 07-31-2015, 09:15 AM
Simon

Thanks to everyone for the wealth of information shared, I have a few idea's rattling around in my head.
Here in Australia the post office has mailing tubes, 95mm dia(~ 3.75 inches) so I'm thinking bigger again!

I must apologise though if I miss-lead anyone with my mentioning of 'scale' in my original post, I'm not into competition scale... stand-off scale is fine by me.

Cheers again!