Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Kit Collecting
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2017, 01:57 AM
Lifelong Rocket Scientist

Well here she is .came out pretty nice overall.
I used the Redstone tailcone from shapeways, the nose cone set for Moulding Oldies. And decals courtesey of Sandman.

Because of the inside diameter of the tail cone is too oddly shaped to accept a traditional engine mount set up, I built the engine mount 8" long with the centering rings set at,4 3/4" and the top,one at the end. When installed the and the tail one is fit into place the engine hook 3/8" of an inch out of the bottoms and the engine tube extending out 1/16th.

Good thing is the moulding oldies is very heavy so even with the smaller fins on the short tube, the CG is still very far forward. String /swing test very stable
Nice detail on the fin can horizontal lines from printing show pretty predominate in the picture but to the naked eye don't even really appear visible under the paint
First time using a 3-D printing tailcone wasn't sure I would like the detail in the ease sometimes complicated Redstone fins definitely made me a fan have to see how durable texting hard landing
Overall in the end probably have more in this kit as a clone tan if I had just bought an original off of ebay, although I just saw one sell on eBay last week for 156.00
I have about $78 in this one

Next to my new Mercury Redstone for scale

Tail cone detail

Body tube and decals

Mounding oldies nose cone set

Overall happy with results.

Last edited by leftover : 01-10-2017 at 12:36 AM.
Old 01-12-2017, 12:39 AM
BP Mafia

Very nice. I have an original that I've been working on for years. It was an Ebay bargain back in the late night sniping days.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper