Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2011, 02:55 PM
BP Mafia

Default B-17 bomber crash

http://www.wcpo.com/dpp/news/nation...outside-chicago

This was on the way to Lunken Airport, which is just across the levee from my office. I figured it would be coming when I saw another of the big piston engine birds on the tarmac when I left work last Friday.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 06-13-2011, 03:03 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
http://www.wcpo.com/dpp/news/nation...outside-chicago

This was on the way to Lunken Airport, which is just across the levee from my office. I figured it would be coming when I saw another of the big piston engine birds on the tarmac when I left work last Friday.

That's bad news. At least they preliminary reports show no casualties.
Old 06-13-2011, 03:11 PM
Master Modeler

Default Tragic

It's a shame when stuff like this happens. There goes another piece of history.
Old 06-13-2011, 05:45 PM
Trust me, it'll work!

The news report just said 7 people got out with no injuries before it went up in flames. Still sad an old bird like that gone now...
Old 06-13-2011, 06:08 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Very sad. I love those old warbirds. My Grandma and Grandpa used to work on B-24's at Willow Run in the 40's. Glad the crew made it out safely.

Gunner
Old 06-13-2011, 06:25 PM
Dazed and Confused

I hate to lose an old warbird like that, but the planes that still fly are taken much better care of than all but a select few in the best museums.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:49 PM
Master Modeler

Glad everyone made it out safely. I hate that another one is gone.

My dad was career Air Force starting in early 1942. He loved the B-17 more than anything he ever flew on. During WW II he manned every position on the plane including co-pilot and got his A&E license working on the one he was assigned to. During the war he crash landed 3 times in a B- 17 and walked away without a scratch everytime. (Similarl to this story) He believed it to be the most durable and dependable aircraft ever built and he flew and worked on everything from the B-17's to F-104's in his career. When he got to talking about the Flying Fortress he sounded like Scotty talking about the Constitution Class Enterprise in STTNG. No matter what he ever flew in, his favorite plane was always the B-17. No bloody A, B, C, or D!

In 1993 my dad, my son and I got to fly on the 909 owned by the Collins Foundation but the flight was almost cancelled due to a hydraulics problem with the nose gear. My dad talked to the crew and asked if he could help. After talking to them a few minutes he convinced them he could set things straight and they let him. The next afternoon the three of us flew with the crew from B'ham to Tuscaloosa and then to Montgomery. My son and I were all over the plane except the ball turret. The view from the chin turret was awesome.

Hopefully something can be salvaged from this one to keep the others flying.

Randy
www.vernarockets.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  B-17.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  109.5 KB  
Old 06-13-2011, 07:04 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy
Glad everyone made it out safely. I hate that another one is gone.

My dad was career Air Force starting in early 1942. He loved the B-17 more than anything he ever flew on. During WW II he manned every position on the plane including co-pilot and got his A&E license working on the one he was assigned to. During the war he crash landed 3 times in a B- 17 and walked away without a scratch everytime. (Similarl to this story) He believed it to be the most durable and dependable aircraft ever built and he flew and worked on everything from the B-17's to F-104's in his career. When he got to talking about the Flying Fortress he sounded like Scotty talking about the Constitution Class Enterprise in STTNG. No matter what he ever flew in, his favorite plane was always the B-17. No bloody A, B, C, or D!

In 1993 my dad, my son and I got to fly on the 909 owned by the Collins Foundation but the flight was almost cancelled due to a hydraulics problem with the nose gear. My dad talked to the crew and asked if he could help. After talking to them a few minutes he convinced them he could set things straight and they let him. The next afternoon the three of us flew with the crew from B'ham to Tuscaloosa and then to Montgomery. My son and I were all over the plane except the ball turret. The view from the chin turret was awesome.

Hopefully something can be salvaged from this one to keep the others flying.

Randy
www.vernarockets.com

Great pic.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 06-13-2011, 08:41 PM
focused procrastinator

so why was it flying with a full crew? I just skimmed the article. but it is amazing how price soars after it becomes an antique. right after the war you could buy a surplus one for a couple thousand or less, and they'd be glad to see you fly it off the pad. now they scuttle anything that resembles working parts to keep "those people" from getting it. a shame people are so paranoid. but it is a shame the whole thing happened, at least no casualties, and the wreckage could be used for people with one of these things in their garage missing some parts. I'd rather see them in the sky than in some warehouse or junkyard.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:58 PM
Old Submariner

I wonder if it was the "Aluminum Overcast". I was actually inside that one when it was at the Aurora airport several years ago. I wasn't willing to shell out $300+ dollars for a flight though. (I would have have flown in it for free! Sorry.)

I'll navigate under water and under the polar ice for months at a time, but I won't fly in a B-17. Go figure.

4 out of 3 people struggle with math.

Chemically, alcohol IS a solution.

NAR# 94042
SAM# 0078