Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2009, 02:39 PM
Craftsman

Default Goverment/EPA to Tax Cow Flatulence... no joke :(

Here is the scoop:

http://www.businessandmedia.org/art...1230165231.aspx

No Comment, maybe I should have posted this one in the current joke thread...

Bob
Old 01-06-2009, 03:33 PM
Craftsman

Can anyone else hear the evil empire music from Star Wars? Are those EPA agents goose stepping?

As if food doesn't cost enough.
Old 01-06-2009, 03:55 PM
Launching since 1970.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKP
Can anyone else hear the evil empire music from Star Wars? Are those EPA agents goose stepping?

As if food doesn't cost enough.

Attached Files
File Type: zip appropriate.zip (228.6 KB, 55 views)
Old 01-06-2009, 04:27 PM
Old BAR

I wish someone from the EPA and Obama himself would just GROW A BRAIN!!!!
This global warming/cooling/climate change thing is out of control, with virtually NO scientific evidence of anything to back it up.
Absolutely amazing how little of a brain it takes to be in government, let alone stay there.
Did these folks take ANY science classes or do they get their info from 'the news?' What in the world makes someone actually believe that WE can alter our environment to such an extent? And we are cooling off, BTW, I think since 1998!
What a bunch of morons!!! I guess we should look forward to a dog f--t tax, as well!
Just makes one's head explode!
Change? yeah, right.
Allen
Old 01-06-2009, 06:03 PM
Pretending to be Normal

American Beef is already barely (if that) competitive. Regardless of the cause, do these people ever stop to consider that we will levy a tax on American farmers but not any foreign farms so that McDonalds an others will buy even more beef from Brazil and Chile, etc.?

When they campaign in Iowa they bemoan the death of the family farm, and then as soon as they arrive in Washington, start hammering more nails in it's coffin.

Genius.
Old 01-06-2009, 07:46 PM
BAR 13790

Actually, I read in an article in our local paper that some Congress members stepped in to jump on the EPA, and the EPA denied any plan to tax cow farts, that it was just an "urban legend" type rumor.

Here is some of the text...
Rumors that the Environmental Protection Agency plans to impose a tax on methane emissions from dairy, beef and hog operations are apparently untrue.

In a statement last Friday [note this was published 12/9], the EPA said it is currently reviewing public comments on proposed rule changes to the Clean Air Act. However, the agency also said it is not proposing a “cow tax” as a way to regulate greenhouse gas emissions.

The EPA’s statement comes in response to a document circulated by the American Farm Bureau Federation.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:11 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les
Actually, I read in an article in our local paper that some Congress members stepped in to jump on the EPA, and the EPA denied any plan to tax cow farts, that it was just an "urban legend" type rumor.

Rumors that the Environmental Protection Agency plans to impose a tax on methane emissions from dairy, beef and hog operations are apparently untrue.

In a statement last Friday [note this was published 12/9], the EPA said it is currently reviewing public comments on proposed rule changes to the Clean Air Act. However, the agency also said it is not proposing a “cow tax” as a way to regulate greenhouse gas emissions.

The EPA’s statement comes in response to a document circulated by the American Farm Bureau Federation.

And the BATFE says isn't creating it's own regulatory laws, too.
Old 01-07-2009, 01:26 AM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les

For one reason or another, prices are going to go up at your local White Castle and Taco Bell!
Old 01-07-2009, 12:42 PM
Hooked Badly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les

An excerpt from the above referenced article:

Kate Galbraith, correspondent for The New York Times, noted on the Times’ “Green Inc.” blog that such a “proposal is far from being enacted” and that the “hysteria may be premature.”

But hey if it comes from Fox News it MUST be true, right?

Btw, your common sense posting totally ruined my impending "pull my finger" joke, thanks a lot!
Old 01-07-2009, 08:27 PM
BAR

Well, as a former cotton farmer (who quit the business due to draconian government interference in the form of mandatory "voluntary" boll weevil eradication programs that increased my cost of production by 20% overnight), I can't say this surprises me...

It seems this country is ****ed and determined to eliminate ANY production of ANYTHING here anymore...

As a beef cow/calf rancher (happy cows grazing contendtedly on grass pastures, doing the bull/cow thing and having babies that eat mommy's milk and start grazing grass, and after 6-9 months as 500 pound 'teenagers' go for a ride to the auction barn to be sold to feeders) I can tell you that if they're proposing a tax of $87.50 per head per year, that will completely bankrupt and eliminate the beef cattle business in the United States. An average healthy breed cow, in an average year, with average prices, is only worth about $300-400. Calves are worth more but weigh less, and usually average about the same total price when sold. A cow has one calf per year (9 month gestation like humans, and almost never twins) so basically this amounts to about a 50% tax on the worth of every calf, EVERY YEAR, because obviously you don't sell the mama cow if you want to have more calves next year... and that's not figuring the amortized fart tax on the breed bull, which at somewhere between a 15-30 to one cow to bull ratio, would add another $3-6 dollars per calf tax on every calf, and that's assuming a 100% birth rate, which of course is impossible... even the best (read most expensive) producers around are doing absolutely terrific if they can get a 90% birth rate, and anything in the 80% range is doing pretty good, and for us poor guys like me we settle for 50-60%, which would increase these taxes commensurately, since at a 50% birth rate (kinda low, but bad environmental conditions like drought certainly make it possible) that means you have one calf to sell for every two cows, and probably have at least one herd bull, if not more (depending on your herd size). So basically, add it all up, and in an average year a farmer could be expected to be hit with a fart tax bill equal to somewhere close to 70% or more of his calf sales, and that's not even including business expenses, stuff like, oh, electricity to pump water, hay and feed, fuel for tractors to cut, rake, bale, and haul hay, (or cash to buy it from hay guys), the payments/maintenance of said equipment, land payments and property taxes, etc. etc. etc. Oh, and that little thing called an income to live on...

Dairy farming is a lot more leveraged, in that virtually every dairy cow is treated like a milk production machine-- it's fed cadillac feed and pumped full of horomones so she can grow a bag equivalent of Dolly Parton, Mae West, and Pamela Anderson COMBINED and produce 50-70,000 pounds of milk per year... (high end I'd guess-- don't have the stats right in front of me and I'm not a dairy farmer, so going from memory) I don't see this being very friendly to them either...

I hope you guys like Argentine and Brazilian beef, or Mexico canner cows tough as a boot sole, because if this ever becomes reality that's all you'll get, and you'll pay $15 a pound for it too, if you can get it at all...

Premature, maybe, but the fact it even comes up means SOMEBODY SOMEWHERE in a hall of power is THINKING ABOUT IT. I've learned that's usually enough for some moron to run with it and BOOM it hit us square in the face in a couple years or so...

Mark my words-- one day (probably sooner that most folks would ever guess) this whole darn country is going to just end up flat going hungry... and then everyone is going to stand around like idiots wondering "how did it happen"??

Just my informed opinion... OL JR