Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2009, 07:48 AM
Underachiever

Default Upscale Nike Ram

I don't usually show my projects off, but I'm kinda proud of this one. Its an upscale Nike Ram based on Semroc 225 (2.34" diam) tubing and a 29mm motor mount, so I guess its an SLS Nike Ram. It is built with 1/8" plywood fins and is set up for dual deploy (so I can fly it on an H). I'll try to get some launch photos this weekend.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  NikeRam1.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  87.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  NikeRam2.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  85.3 KB  
Old 05-15-2009, 09:30 AM
Junior Rocketeer

Definetly a nice model build - You did a great job on the finish - Nice work !!
Old 05-15-2009, 09:32 AM
Officially Middle-Aged Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdud
I don't usually show my projects off, but I'm kinda proud of this one. Its an upscale Nike Ram based on Semroc 225 (2.34" diam) tubing and a 29mm motor mount, so I guess its an SLS Nike Ram. It is built with 1/8" plywood fins and is set up for dual deploy (so I can fly it on an H). I'll try to get some launch photos this weekend.

Beautiful!!!!

S.
Old 05-15-2009, 09:58 AM
Member in Good Standing!

Very, very nice build! Wait till Steve Naquin see it.
Old 05-15-2009, 11:42 AM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketflyer
Very, very nice build! Wait till Steve Naquin see it.

Well I nearly fell off my chair when I saw this.

I'll second Sean's beautiful comment ..... very nice. I'd be proud too and thanks for showing it off!

I'm finally working on a AAA Model Aviation Fuels Magnum Nike Ram-2 that Sean helped with much of the needed info to produce a nice clone. I procured all the parts last year from Madcow and LOC and I was actually going to finish it according to the instructions but I must say your LT-225 version looks striking in the original colors. Best of luck with the launch and the DD and I'd love to see photos if you get a nice shot.

I can see the altimeter vent hole and what appears to be a screw I suppose is holding the electronics bay / coupler into the upper section. I'd love to see more of you set up if you ever get a chance to photograph it broken down. The rail guides are a nice touch.

Very nice indeed.

SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates
Old 05-15-2009, 12:33 PM
Too Many Initiators is Never Enough

Very nice loking upscale Nike Ram.

I look forward to hearing about it's flight(s).

I happen to like Nike Rams, also.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Enerjet Models and Boxes 014.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  45.3 KB  
Old 05-15-2009, 12:43 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaquin
I'm finally working on a AAA Model Aviation Fuels Magnum Nike Ram-2 that Sean helped with much of the needed info to produce a nice clone.

Steve, what ever happened to Al A. Andrake and AAA Aviation Fuels? That was the first time I ever heard of a Nike Ram.
Old 05-15-2009, 08:55 PM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokitflite
Steve, what ever happened to Al A. Andrake and AAA Aviation Fuels? That was the first time I ever heard of a Nike Ram.

Not sure what ever became of Al Andrake. He was such a pleasure to deal with. First time I had ever heard of a Nike Ram was also from doing business with AAA. At the time I didn't realize it was based on the EnerJet kit but I bought one from him and flew it many times with Crown motors. I had the three fin version. He made three fin and four fin versions during the years he produced that kit.

Al had Crown motors and Crown parts including the hardwood hemlock nose cones for several years after SSRS / Crown shut down operations and I bought a good bit from him in the early 80's. He was my Semroc in those days .....

I'm thankful for Semroc SLS and LT series tubing!

I'm going to have to pick jdud's brain. I'm liking this Semroc series 225 Nike Ram

SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates
Old 05-15-2009, 09:52 PM
Officially Middle-Aged Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaquin
Not sure what ever became of Al Andrake. He was such a pleasure to deal with. First time I had ever heard of a Nike Ram was also from doing business with AAA. At the time I didn't realize it was based on the EnerJet kit but I bought one from him and flew it many times with Crown motors. I had the three fin version. He made three fin and four fin versions during the years he produced that kit.

Al had Crown motors and Crown parts including the hardwood hemlock nose cones for several years after SSRS / Crown shut down operations and I bought a good bit from him in the early 80's. He was my Semroc in those days .....

I'm thankful for Semroc SLS and LT series tubing!

I'm going to have to pick jdud's brain. I'm liking this Semroc series 225 Nike Ram

Al (Green Dragon) may have more info.....

S.
Old 05-15-2009, 11:10 PM
Master Modeler

AAA made some of the first midpower kits I built back in 1988.

In fact, that's a sure thing: The "American Dream" was the first model I flew on a G motor. I also bought one of his puffed-up Nike Rams, the one based on a 2.6" tube.

Andrake had some wonderful anecdotes to tell when I met him at the Pearl River convention in 1991. Like: Irv Wait spotted the reason when many Mini-Max motors were failing on a visit to Centuri. The hydraulic ram that rammed in fuel worked on three motors at once, but the guage that shut it off was only keyed to one motor, so the other two were left with improperly packed BP.