Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2011, 10:06 AM
BP Mafia

Default Vikings!!!!

No, not Eric the Red or Alan Page.
First up, FSI Viking 3 clone. Shop scraps with a Semroc nose cone.

I just plan on sticking in a thrust ring and flying it on C11s and D12s. Figuring on red cone and stabilizer tubes with a white body. Decals are a bit iffy at the moment.

Secondly, the Viking 5. Shop scraps with a Semroc nose cone and transition.

Pretty cool design. I'll fly this with D12s and E9s. Figuring on blue/white scheme, but haven't given it much thought yet. I think the Viking 5 decals on YORP are undersized, but they should make a decent starting point.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 07-09-2011, 12:01 PM
Master Modeler

Thumbs up

Awesome... Love the Viking 5!
In finishing: Centuri Sabre clone
In primer:
In paint:
Ready for decals:

Bill Cooke
NAR #31312
TRA #19705
SAM #0001
Huntsville, AL

My rocket blog
My rocket fleet
Old 07-09-2011, 12:44 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanel
Awesome... Love the Viking 5!

Ditto. I was kind of undecided on it at first because the catalog pics on Ninfinger don't really give you the sense of how big it is. When I saw the suggestion for using BT-55 and BT-60 to recreate it, then saw the overall length, I was in. It really is cool up close and I can't wait to see how it flies. Should be low & slow, eh?

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Old 07-09-2011, 02:09 PM
Dazed and Confused

You should paint all your Viking models purple and gold just to mess with the YORF cheese heads.

Possible Viking model names:
USS Tarkington
USS Page
USS Marshall
USS Foreman
USS Eller
USS Peterson
USS Favre
Old 07-09-2011, 04:18 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
You should paint all your Viking models purple and gold just to mess with the YORF cheese heads.

USS Tarkington
USS Page
USS Marshall
USS Foreman
USS Eller
USS Peterson
USS Favre

The last one was my favorite, but from what I hear I'd need a purple and gold Mosquito.

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 07-09-2011, 08:23 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
The last one was my favorite, but from what I hear I'd need a purple and gold Mosquito.

OUCH!

That's one of many reasons I think it was not him. Nobody that's like a mosquito would dare send pictures to somebody.
Old 07-09-2011, 08:27 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep

USS Tarkington
USS Page
USS Marshall
USS Foreman
USS Eller
USS Peterson
USS Favre

LOL, that would be EPIC!

Gunner
Old 07-09-2011, 10:00 PM
Master Modeler

I had an original Viking V. Flew it many, many times, on F100 motors and a variety of composites.

It had a design flaw: The standard FSI shock cord broke a sizeable fraction of flights. But there was never any damage. The chute-less lower section spun-glided beautifully!

I never built a Viking I, Viking III, or Viking IV back in the day. I still have my original Viking II but it is very, very worn out. A cloned, 24mm Viking II stands in its place.

My BMS Viking I came out really nicely; just need to sand or compound away a paint flaw before the Future goes on.

I hope that BMS continues cloning the series.
Old 07-09-2011, 10:33 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanj
I had an original Viking V. Flew it many, many times, on F100 motors and a variety of composites.

It had a design flaw: The standard FSI shock cord broke a sizeable fraction of flights. But there was never any damage. The chute-less lower section spun-glided beautifully!

I never built a Viking I, Viking III, or Viking IV back in the day. I still have my original Viking II but it is very, very worn out. A cloned, 24mm Viking II stands in its place.

My BMS Viking I came out really nicely; just need to sand or compound away a paint flaw before the Future goes on.

I hope that BMS continues cloning the series.

As you can see, I figured out the mitre program. Thanks for the tip.
So, does my clone look anything like your original 5? Whatever the case, I'm very pleased with the way it came out. Very cool design, even if mine is done with "make-do" parts. I'm doing the fillets at the moment, but I'm hoping to get it primed tomorrow.
Did you finish the Viking 2 upscale? I was thinking about trying it in BT-80 scale, but I'll wait until you've done your unveiling since you were the one who originally had the idea. (I'm pretty well packed with projects at the moment. ) Looking forward to the pics.
As for the BMS clone series, that was one of my disappointments on returning to the hobby a few months back. I liked the idea, especially when he came up with oddball items like the Viking 1, Astron Invader, and Mini Bomarc.

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 07-15-2011, 05:55 AM
BP Mafia

Geez.
So, last night I was putting an engine block in the Viking 3. Tied the Kevlar around the ring, put some wood glue into the body cavity, took a D12 casing and went to slide the ring in.
The glue GRABBED, and I mean like RIGHT NOW!
I've already figured out that screaming loudly and cursing loudly make no difference in how crappy I still feel. Anyone have someone or something that needs to be dead?
Anyway, I'm going to be able to slide an 18mm tube into the ring and use another for the aft end, but I wanted to fly this bird on a D12-7. I am &$@%ing bummed!

I miss being SAM 0058