Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2012, 04:19 PM
I do not like Facebook

Gas prices appear to have peaked and may even come down a bit.

But I reserved a room for NARAM and that beast is EXPENSIVE.

Bill

If your June, July, August and September was like this, you might just hate summer too...

Please unload your question before you ask it unless you have a concealed harry permit.

: countdown begin cr dup . 1- ?dup 0= until cr ." Launch!" cr ;

Give a man a rocket and he will fly for a day; teach him to build and he will spend the rest of his days sanding...
Old 04-19-2012, 06:25 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill
Not any more. New diesel cars and trucks must use selective catalytic reduction technology to reduce NOx emissions and the operators required to periodically put refined cow piss into the DEF tank. Not sure about locomotives and ships...

Bill

Yeah, this was the point I was trying to make... back in the 90's, a diesel pickup could easily get 25 mpg or more compared to about 14 for a gasoline model, and that's including the fact that the gasser would typically have 3.10 gears in a lighter half-ton pickup, versus the diesel weighing an extra couple thousand pounds (due to the heavier engine and drivetrain) as well as being mounted in a 3/4 ton or 1 ton (heavier) truck chassis and typically have 4.10 gears...

Not so any more... a diesel truck today MIGHT get 20-22 mpg, but a gasser can do that well nowdays. Back in the 90's, diesel was quite a bit CHEAPER than gasoline at the station as well. Now it's considerably higher than gasoline. The diesel engine generally cost you $4,000 to $6,000 more than a comparable truck with the gas engine, but the diesels only came in 3/4 or one ton models, which usually ran several thousand more than a half-ton model, so overall you were looking at probably $10,000 more (at least) for a diesel pickup versus a half ton gasser model... which is why we never bought a diesel pickup! (I actually bought a used Dodge but while the Cummins engine was top notch, the rest of the truck was complete CRAP so I traded it very quickly on a new 92 F-150 six cylinder 5 speed standard shortbed with overdrive, which I drove for over a decade).

Now, the Europeans have some TERRIFIC little turbodiesels that get OUTSTANDING mileage in a "small car" body... but they won't sell them in the US... and until there is a comparable vehicle to these European turbodiesels available in the US, capable of getting around 70 mpg like they do, I'm not "trading down" from the pickup... certainly not for a stupid 10-15 mpg boost over what I'm getting now with the pickup...

As for hybrids... I wouldn't touch that crap with a ten foot pole...

Later! OL JR
Old 07-18-2012, 01:12 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Yeah, we sure came close to that $5/gal gas before NARAM.
Alarmist nonsense just as I predicted it would be.
The only common (non racing) Gasoline at $5/gal I know of is AV100LL Leaded 100/130 Aviation Gasoline. Even that is below $5 in some places and below $5.50/gal at most.
Cheapest gasoline I saw today in SE Michigan was $3.39 per gal regular/$3.59 per gal 93 octane premium.
The West side of Michigan usually has Gasoline a little cheaper than SE Michigan, so prices for NARAM should be ok, but STILL RIDICULOUSLY HIGH.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 07-18-2012, 01:24 PM
Custom Cone, Kit & Decal Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke strawwalker
Yeah, this was the point I was trying to make... back in the 90's, a diesel pickup could easily get 25 mpg or more compared to about 14 for a gasoline model, and that's including the fact that the gasser would typically have 3.10 gears in a lighter half-ton pickup, versus the diesel weighing an extra couple thousand pounds (due to the heavier engine and drivetrain) as well as being mounted in a 3/4 ton or 1 ton (heavier) truck chassis and typically have 4.10 gears...

Not so any more... a diesel truck today MIGHT get 20-22 mpg, but a gasser can do that well nowdays. Back in the 90's, diesel was quite a bit CHEAPER than gasoline at the station as well. Now it's considerably higher than gasoline. The diesel engine generally cost you $4,000 to $6,000 more than a comparable truck with the gas engine, but the diesels only came in 3/4 or one ton models, which usually ran several thousand more than a half-ton model, so overall you were looking at probably $10,000 more (at least) for a diesel pickup versus a half ton gasser model... which is why we never bought a diesel pickup! (I actually bought a used Dodge but while the Cummins engine was top notch, the rest of the truck was complete CRAP so I traded it very quickly on a new 92 F-150 six cylinder 5 speed standard shortbed with overdrive, which I drove for over a decade).

Now, the Europeans have some TERRIFIC little turbodiesels that get OUTSTANDING mileage in a "small car" body... but they won't sell them in the US... and until there is a comparable vehicle to these European turbodiesels available in the US, capable of getting around 70 mpg like they do, I'm not "trading down" from the pickup... certainly not for a stupid 10-15 mpg boost over what I'm getting now with the pickup...

As for hybrids... I wouldn't touch that crap with a ten foot pole...

Later! OL JR

Back in the mid 80's you could order a Ford Ranger with a 4 cylinder Perkins Diesel.

I wonder what ever happened with that? Great little motor.

I like the Ford Ranger I had much better than the Chevy S-10 POS I have now.

http://sandmandecals.com/
Old 07-18-2012, 04:00 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman
Back in the mid 80's you could order a Ford Ranger with a 4 cylinder Perkins Diesel.

I wonder what ever happened with that? Great little motor.

I like the Ford Ranger I had much better than the Chevy S-10 POS I have now.

Well, one thing killing the diesels now is the Teir Four emissions crap... sorry but I ain't driving anything that requires "emissions fluid" unless I'm getting about 70 mpg... MINIMUM! Our school quit buying buses and is just fixing the junkers because they don't want to have to buy the equipment and crap to run new buses since they all use emission fluid now...

The Perkins are good little motors. I've seen a lot of guys swap various four cylinder diesels, usually turbocharged, into pickups, in Farm Show magazine... always interesting stuff. My Dad has always thought that a 3 cylinder diesel in our Ford 2310 tractor would be a good motor in a small or half-ton pickup....

Sadly, the Ranger isn't even being made anymore... what a waste. Guess the move to super-size pickups and SUV's has simply driven them off the road... Chevy's S-10 is now their "midsize" Colorado, but from what I've seen and heard I'm not impressed. My wife had a GMC Sonoma pickup (98 or 99) that was fairly decent, but kinda small.

Later! OL JR
Old 07-19-2012, 10:22 AM
Craftsman

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke strawwalker
Well, one thing killing the diesels now is the Teir Four emissions crap... sorry but I ain't driving anything that requires "emissions fluid" unless I'm getting about 70 mpg... MINIMUM! Our school quit buying buses and is just fixing the junkers because they don't want to have to buy the equipment and crap to run new buses since they all use emission fluid now...

The Perkins are good little motors. I've seen a lot of guys swap various four cylinder diesels, usually turbocharged, into pickups, in Farm Show magazine... always interesting stuff. My Dad has always thought that a 3 cylinder diesel in our Ford 2310 tractor would be a good motor in a small or half-ton pickup....

Sadly, the Ranger isn't even being made anymore... what a waste. Guess the move to super-size pickups and SUV's has simply driven them off the road... Chevy's S-10 is now their "midsize" Colorado, but from what I've seen and heard I'm not impressed. My wife had a GMC Sonoma pickup (98 or 99) that was fairly decent, but kinda small.

Later! OL JR

The Ranger is being made but in Europe only (acording to my motorhead son who gets a ton of car mags every month). It may be bck in the US in a year or 2 (I hope)
Mr. Bob
Starlight Dude
Old 07-19-2012, 10:29 AM

That emission fluid is just liquid Urea.
One can actually 'trick' the system by using a common human liquid waste product that contains urea...

Old 07-19-2012, 10:31 AM

If a diesel doesn't have at least 400+hp, 600+lb-ft torque, it is NOT worth owning.
Must have a high-soot exhaust HUFF mode and a jake-brake too just to pi$$ off environmentalists too, or NOT interested.