Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Rocket Boosted Gliders
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-04-2009, 10:01 AM
kevinj kevinj is offline
Not so Junior
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 360
Default RC Cosmos Mariner

I did some more work on my RC CM yesterday. Originally had decided to make it BG with the internals from the kit, but due to poor parts fit (the front CR and weights barely fit into the BT-55 tube) I'm moving on to an RG.

Progress so far (photos coming later):
Built all the balsa parts.
Cut out the sub fin to allow full movement of both evelvons.
Made new motor mount (sized to accept E9-P motors).
Cut new BT-55 tube to hold motor mount.
Covered exposed balsa with trim monokote.
Sourced the RC gear and mocked up servo placement (in hanily provided molded trays in the bottom half of the body shell).

Things to work on:
Control linkages.
Hinges.
Assembly and paint.

kj
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-04-2009, 03:54 PM
foose4string foose4string is offline
Master Modeler
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,019
Default

Interesting idea. Someone flew one of these at NARAM and it had a great looking free flight recovery. Of course, we've all heard of the poor flight reports as well. I look forward to seeing this one.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-04-2009, 10:18 PM
CaninoBD CaninoBD is offline
Craftsman
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 131
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by foose4string
Interesting idea. Someone flew one of these at NARAM and it had a great looking free flight recovery. Of course, we've all heard of the poor flight reports as well. I look forward to seeing this one.


That would be me, I flew it at NARAM 48 in SFFS. It did glide rather nicely. I flew it twice, I DQ the first flight because the parachute got caught on the pod hood and the pod streamed line in. There was a little stall in the first glide. Made a adjustment to the chute lines and add a little nose weight the next flight was qualified and the glide was very nice. Much better then you would think something that heavy could glide.

What R/C gear are you using?

You can see pictures of my CM on the NARAM Live site. Chris got a couple of nice shots of it.

NARAM Live 2006

Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-04-2009, 10:30 PM
rokitflite's Avatar
rokitflite rokitflite is offline
Master Modeler
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 951
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaninoBD
That would be me, I flew it at NARAM 48 in SFFS. It did glide rather nicely. I flew it twice, I DQ the first flight because the parachute got caught on the pod hood and the pod streamed line in. There was a little stall in the first glide. Made a adjustment to the chute lines and add a little nose weight the next flight was qualified and the glide was very nice. Much better then you would think something that heavy could glide.



It was at NARAM 50 that Foose and I saw the good flight of which he speaks... As I recall (probably incorrectly) the model was unpainted. I looked up because the ejection charge sounded like a shotgun blast
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-04-2009, 10:58 PM
CaninoBD CaninoBD is offline
Craftsman
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 131
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokitflite
It was at NARAM 50 that Foose and I saw the good flight of which he speaks... As I recall (probably incorrectly) the model was unpainted. I looked up because the ejection charge sounded like a shotgun blast


O, I stand ( actually sit ) corrected. In either case, they can be made to glide nice.
A R/C version would be cool.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-06-2009, 02:58 PM
kevinj kevinj is offline
Not so Junior
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 360
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaninoBD
What R/C gear are you using?


Nothing fancy. I usually keep a bunch of cheap small servos around. I got a few of these:

http://www.rc-dymond.com/index3.php?productID=1436

when they were on sale. Will probably use one of my Berg recievers and a small 200mah battery.

kj
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-06-2009, 03:13 PM
Bill's Avatar
Bill Bill is offline
I do not like Facebook
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: North Tejas
Posts: 2,467
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaninoBD
In either case, they can be made to glide nice.



Anybody want to share some tips on how to make this kit glide better?

Whenever I see on in the bag, it looks more like a model boat than a rocket.


Bill
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-06-2009, 04:38 PM
CaninoBD CaninoBD is offline
Craftsman
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 131
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill
Anybody want to share some tips on how to make this kit glide better?

Whenever I see on in the bag, it looks more like a model boat than a rocket.


Bill


You are not going to win any duration events with this, but it can be made to glide well for its size and weight. Also, this shouldn't be your first glider. Try a Quest Flat Cat or something like that first.

If you follow the steps 13 & 14 in the instructions, that really all you need. One other thing is run a string through the launch lug and make sure the model balances side to side.

Find some tall grass to do your test glides over. Try to do your test glides when there is little or no wind. Make sure your throw is even and don't try to over throw it.

This is what I did. After the first flight, it did notice it had a slight stall in flight, so I added a little more nose weight. The second flight was fine.

Trimming gliders is a art and you will get better with practice.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-06-2009, 06:26 PM
kevinj kevinj is offline
Not so Junior
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 360
Default

Photos-

The balsa skeleton with new tube/motor mount and the monokoted wings.

Preliminary gear layout.

Top shell on.

kj
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_0328.JPG
Views: 171
Size:  411.2 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_0329.JPG
Views: 206
Size:  413.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_0330.JPG
Views: 173
Size:  393.4 KB  
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-07-2009, 02:11 PM
Bill's Avatar
Bill Bill is offline
I do not like Facebook
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: North Tejas
Posts: 2,467
Default

The instructions call for a silicone glue for attaching the vacuformed plastic hulls to the wing. Any particular brand work better than others?

Would something like Weldbond work? The label mentions many non-porous materials, but not plastic; perhaps because there are so many different kinds.


Bill
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:49 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe 1998-2017