Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Building Techniques
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2014, 07:17 PM
Ciderwright

Default Estes Air Commander #3219

I picked up an Air Commander during one of the winter sales, and just got around to building it with my Boyos. The instructions call for positioning the sustainer motor mount by putting dummy motor casings in the booster and sustainer mounts, then using the booster to push the sustainer mount into the body tube.

Seemed like a clever trick - but I must have gotten a glue smear on the inner wall, because I couldn't pull the booster back off. It had grabbed solid. I tried hard enough to crush the body tube of both parts.

I think I'll go back to doing it by measuring.
Ad Astra Tabernamque!

Last edited by aeppel_cpm : 08-25-2014 at 07:39 PM.
Old 08-25-2014, 08:29 PM
Retired Missile Technician

Did you use a white glue? A hair dryer might soften it enough to let you pull it apart.

Of course, other things glued close by may be affected by the heat. Getting the booster off would be the main goal.

Chas
Old 08-25-2014, 08:37 PM
Ciderwright

Yellow glue.

It's apart now. But crushed. I got the fins off intact. I could rebuild with new tubes and centering rings.
Ad Astra Tabernamque!
Old 08-26-2014, 08:47 AM
Incorrigible Kit Basher

If you build another one, install the engine mounts with slow-setting epoxy. Seriously, it will save your sanity. But stick to the yellow glue on the fins, where the grabbiness will work to your favor.
Once upon a better day... SAM #0076
My site: http://rocketry.gonnerman.org
Old 08-26-2014, 03:05 PM
I do not like Facebook

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeppel_cpm
I picked up an Air Commander during one of the winter sales, and just got around to building it with my Boyos. The instructions call for positioning the sustainer motor mount by putting dummy motor casings in the booster and sustainer mounts, then using the booster to push the sustainer mount into the body tube.

Seemed like a clever trick - but I must have gotten a glue smear on the inner wall, because I couldn't pull the booster back off. It had grabbed solid. I tried hard enough to crush the body tube of both parts.

I think I'll go back to doing it by measuring.

If the problem was glue smeared near the inside end of the sustainer tube, you may be lucky that problem showed up during construction. There is a technique of applying glue to materials and letting it dry first, positioning the parts then using heat from an iron to reactivate the glue.

I have seen some staged flights where the booster failed to separate and the sustainer motor burned through it. Some of those may have been caused by reactivated smeared glue.

Though Rich had a problem with it once, I still swear by using Aleene's Tacky glue for installing motor mounts and tube couplers. Despite the name, I have found it not to be grabby like white and especially yellow glue. I use yellow glue for most other building where grabbiness is a plus, especially with double glue fin joints.

Bill

If your June, July, August and September was like this, you might just hate summer too...

Please unload your question before you ask it unless you have a concealed harry permit.

: countdown begin cr dup . 1- ?dup 0= until cr ." Launch!" cr ;

Give a man a rocket and he will fly for a day; teach him to build and he will spend the rest of his days sanding...