Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Mission Control
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2017, 05:49 PM
Old Canuck Modeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeR
Our group used to launch at a site with a narrow asphalt road running thru the middle of it. We set up on the road since we always used someone's car to power the launcher. Most people's flights landed in soft dirt. I had the unique talent of landing on the road quite often, requiring constant repairs. I can tell you, though, an Aerotech Initiator flies just fine with the fins sawed off even with the end of the tube.

Wow, Lee, how do you get those really cool finishes on your rockets? Almost looks like you dab on a bit of paint and then blow it around with an airbrush until it dries...........
Old 07-13-2017, 06:52 PM
Old Submariner

I think I know how that finish was achieved! I once colored Easter eggs in a similar finish when I was a kid (yes, eggs HAD been invented already back then.)

The way I did the eggs was:

I started with a large bowl of clean water. I then added different colors of oil-based paints to the water--which of course floated on top of the water. I then randomly swirled the colors gently. I then carefully dipped each egg into the water. The floating paint adhered to the egg, creating a random color pattern.

Is that (sort of) how you did it, Lee?

4 out of 3 people struggle with math.

Chemically, alcohol IS a solution.

NAR# 94042
SAM# 0078
Old 07-13-2017, 07:52 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffyjeep
I think I know how that finish was achieved! I once colored Easter eggs in a similar finish when I was a kid (yes, eggs HAD been invented already back then.)

The way I did the eggs was:

I started with a large bowl of clean water. I then added different colors of oil-based paints to the water--which of course floated on top of the water. I then randomly swirled the colors gently. I then carefully dipped each egg into the water. The floating paint adhered to the egg, creating a random color pattern.

Is that (sort of) how you did it, Lee?

That's it in a nutshell, or eggshell, if you prefer ...

I use an old 30 gallon trash can, and fill it to the top, so most model rockets will fit completely underwater. Of course, make sure nose cone is tight -- wrap masking tape on shoulder to help keep water out. I also seal up the motor end as best as I can. A good method is to have a spent motor on a dowel, and insert into motor tube and mask it. Then you have an easy way to dunk the rocket. Even if the seal is not perfect, you'll be fine, since the rocket is not in the water very long when dipped.

I've had the best luck with enamel spray paint. I don't recall if I've used lacquers, but they might dry too quickly. I've not had much luck with acrylics. They probably tended to blend with the water, rather than sitting on the surface like an oil slick. Shake all your cans so they are all ready to spray. A helper would make the process faster, but I've done this myself when my kids were little and I did not want them handling spray paint!

Spray colors quickly onto surface of the water and dunk. If you want to try redip and need more paint on water, use newspaper or paper towels to mop up the old paint and spray a new coating. The rocket shown is long, so I dipped both ends, and used different colors.

I've found a base coat of white is best, but I've used black, and sprayed red, orange, and yellow for a king of Halloweenish finish.

This is a great way to use up tiny amounts of paint that we all seem to have -- especially those little Testors cans.

I'm thinking I want to do another!

Mojo1986,

I think some cool effects could be done with an airbrush. I really need to get mine out and play with them. I did see a rocket that was painted white, and had lots of different color dots that flared out like a fireworks starburst. I think the owner used an airbrush and just held it close to surface and released a tiny bit of paint. It looked like it hit and then just splashed out radially from the center. Very cool effect.

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 07-13-2017, 08:05 PM

Here is my wildest -- I call this Acid Indigestion.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_0126.JPG
Views: 28
Size:  501.4 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_0127.JPG
Views: 30
Size:  771.4 KB  

Old 07-13-2017, 08:19 PM

Finally, a good disguise for the awful orange Alpha III, and some flashy looks for that boring Generic E2X. (They did make it plain do you could decorate it anyway you want, right?)

These were the last two dunks I did with my girls when they were in elementary school in the 90s. Dang, they are grown, married, and kids of their own. I'm actually now flying rockets with our grandkids. Really fun. Plus if my wife ever says anything about expenditures, I can say it's for the grandkids ...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  IMG_0128.JPG
Views: 22
Size:  70.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_0129.JPG
Views: 25
Size:  70.7 KB  

Old 07-13-2017, 09:55 PM

OK, I dusted off another oldie. This one dates back to the early to mid 90s.

My dunk paint job over black base color. Colors are orange, yellow, and white. I kind of like the dark base color.

OK, I hope this encourages some dunked rocket paint jobs. Hope to see some pictures here in the future.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  IMG_1414.JPG
Views: 35
Size:  1.03 MB