Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Building Techniques
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2020, 02:15 PM
The Alpha Kid

Steve, please be careful not to leave anything coated with that clear out in direct sunlight for an extended period.
I learned the hard way when I left my new Redstone on the sidelines while I was flying other models.
The heat made it very sticky and all the dust and black powder on my fingers left big marks all over it when I finally picked it up.
Now I make sure to keep it in the shade until I'm ready to fly it.
Old 07-19-2020, 06:26 PM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by erik442
Steve, please be careful not to leave anything coated with that clear out in direct sunlight for an extended period.
I learned the hard way when I left my new Redstone on the sidelines while I was flying other models.
The heat made it very sticky and all the dust and black powder on my fingers left big marks all over it when I finally picked it up.
Good advice. I'll definitely be mindful of that now. Sounds like you made an unfortunate mess of your Redstone.
SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates
Old 07-20-2020, 08:12 AM
Dazed and Confused

The up side of acrylic clear coats is that you can remove it with ammonia and reapply. I've not done this on a model, but it's been done on kitchen floors for decades!

BTW, I'm surprised you could do the remote purchase/pickup thing with aerosol paint. I still get carded to make sure I'm not a teen wanting to huff paint.
Old 07-20-2020, 04:59 PM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
The up side of acrylic clear coats is that you can remove it with ammonia and reapply. I've not done this on a model, but it's been done on kitchen floors for decades!

BTW, I'm surprised you could do the remote purchase/pickup thing with aerosol paint. I still get carded to make sure I'm not a teen wanting to huff paint.
Well come to think of it I'm a bit surprised too that they allowed a pick up for that. Michael's was the only place around here that had it and with their sale I bought two cans.
SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates
Old 07-20-2020, 11:28 PM
Incurable SEMROC Fan

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by erik442
Quote:
Originally Posted by snaquin
Good advice. I'll definitely be mindful of that now. Sounds like you made an unfortunate mess of your Redstone.
I had a similar experience with my Semroc SLS Javelin. I painted the nose cone black and then covered the whole model with the acrylic clearcoat.

After leaving my rocket out in the sun for a while, the clearcoat on the black nose cone had started to "melt." (shuddering)

Time to finally try out the "Pledge Floor Gloss" Formerly Known As "Future" after all these years... (Spock eyebrow)

Semroc SAM #0029
NAR 86131

"I think about organizing things all the time. Never seems to happen. I find something that piques my interest and I'm off on a quest. Or a Centuri. "

--Bill Eichelberger, 02/22/2022

“Centuri fret buzz in an updated form.”
Bill “Wallyum” Eichelberger re: Estes Flutter-By
03 Sept 2014
Old 07-21-2020, 12:31 AM
Old BAR

Jay, the Pledge is all I use. I've not been disappointed in over 30 years of use. I like the airbrush way to apply it. Flood it and work down. I hang the bodies by the shock cord, cone upside down on a hook.
Flooding kills the tendency to bead on the new paint.
Mop the drips off the fin tips until it sets up. Same with the NC.
You probably know this already with your skills.
Short of a body shop paint job, you'll get the best bang with the least chance of damaging anything.

Allen
Old 07-21-2020, 08:16 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Don't use Testors Clear Lacquer on anything light colored.
It "yellows" over time and anything white will eventually turn a sickly cream/beige.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 07-23-2020, 12:10 AM
Incurable SEMROC Fan

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlag
Jay, the Pledge is all I use. I've not been disappointed in over 30 years of use. I like the airbrush way to apply it. Flood it and work down. I hang the bodies by the shock cord, cone upside down on a hook.
Flooding kills the tendency to bead on the new paint.
Mop the drips off the fin tips until it sets up. Same with the NC.
You probably know this already with your skills.
Short of a body shop paint job, you'll get the best bang with the least chance of damaging anything.
Allen,

Thanks for the pointers. Unfortunately, I don't have an airbrush, but I have plenty of foam brushes in stock. (I found the quote below from a Dec 2018 YORF post by Bruce Levison.) Thanks for mentioning the "drippage," so I'll know to put towels, etc., down to catch it.

I may also use my old school painting wands to hold the rocket in place. I drilled holes for the wands into a 2x4 so I could leave 5 or 6 rockets to dry at a time. This could be "verrrry interesting."

Quote:
Originally Posted by teflonrocketry1
[D] The Krylon crystal clear works great over acrylic paint, enamels, lacquers, home made inkjet decals and 3D printed ABS, but it is not compatible with some markers and silk screened decals; it causes the makers to run and the silk screen decals to warp and move. I use Future Floor Wax (FFW, now Pledge with Future Shine) over silk screened decal sets, enamel, acrylic, laquer paints and 3D printed ABS plastic. I apply full strength with a foam brush over an entire model. I have also used FFW in an air brush to spray it over small areas less than 2 inches square; you can thin it with water if desired. This clear finish can be removed with ammonia water and is compatible with all the above except water colors and washable markers.
Semroc SAM #0029
NAR 86131

"I think about organizing things all the time. Never seems to happen. I find something that piques my interest and I'm off on a quest. Or a Centuri. "

--Bill Eichelberger, 02/22/2022

“Centuri fret buzz in an updated form.”
Bill “Wallyum” Eichelberger re: Estes Flutter-By
03 Sept 2014