Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Kit Collecting
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2016, 02:28 PM
Level 5 Certified

Default Rare Rocket Technology CorporationV-2 Plastic Flying Model Rocket Kit

Manufactured in the late 1960s, this 1/50th scale V-2 kit was far ahead of it’s time. The use of two part, injection molded body halves, fins, and nose cone was well before Estes/Damon used them in kits. Molded in light yellow plastic, this unique design did not use a paper body tubes for motor mount, either – the only paper tube in the whole kit is the launch lug (which almost appears to have been forgotten when the molded parts were made and added afterwards). Packaged in a colorful 9’ x 5.5” x 1.5” box, the model stands about 10.375” tall and is 1.5” in diameter. The shock cord is the standard 1/8” wide rubber strip that was popular at that time in the hobby. A 15” red and white plastic parachute completes the kit. It looks like is would fly great on the recommended 1/2A-6-4, A6-4, B6-4, and B6-6 motors, while a C6-5 motor would send it clean out of sight.

These kits are very rare, and I was surprised to come into a few of them lately. I have one up for sale on eBay now.

The V-2 kits were an offshoot of Rocket Technology Corporation, which had plans to compete with Vern Estes in the early 1960s. Founded by John Rahkonen, the company ran into production problems making black powder A, B, & C motors.

John Rahkonen worked professionally at Morton-Thiokol in Utah, where he directed research and development of their rocket propellant development laboratory. He is credited with work on developing the solid rocket motor propellant used in the detachable boosters of the NASA Space Shuttle.

Rahkonen's work with ammonium perchlorate composite propellant would eventually trickle down into the hobby rocketry community. G. Harry Stine introduced the hobby community to Rahkonen in a 1963 issue of American Modeler magazine with the mention of a new model rocket company called Scientific Amateur Supply Company (SASCO), located in Ogden, Utah.
SASCO would go on become Propulsion Dynamics, more commonly known in the hobby as Prodyne, which would bring three model rockets to the market; the Swift, Swallow and Skylark. In addition to the three kits were three black power rocket motors; a D2, an E2 and an F2, called "Cyclone" motors, utilizing plastic cases and ceramic nozzles. Rahkonen and Prodyne would eventually go on to develop and market a K700 composite high power rocket motor that was available in the early 90's.

Rahkonen's history with rocket propellant and the ties to other model rocketry luminaries from the past were a direct result of his employment at Thiokol's solid rocket propellant plant in Brigham City, Utah, where he worked with Irving S. Wait and George Roos, creating composite rocket motors used in the United States' intercontinental ballistic missile program. Wait was the founder of Rocket Development Corporation (RDC), the creator of the Enerjet composite model rocket motors, and Roos founded Flight Systems, Inc. (FSI).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_0485.JPG
Views: 135
Size:  755.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_0467.JPG
Views: 102
Size:  763.3 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_0488.JPG
Views: 101
Size:  778.1 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_0489.JPG
Views: 104
Size:  812.4 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_0487.JPG
Views: 124
Size:  713.7 KB  
Old 02-18-2016, 02:53 PM
Too Many Initiators is Never Enough

I have a couple of these models in my collection.

Matt, do you have any additional background about RDC?
Old 02-18-2016, 05:01 PM
Level 5 Certified

You are likely one of the few who has them, then. I did get a few of them years ago from John.

I don't have much else on ProDyne, though I did run across something in the Stine Archives that announced the motor certification.... in 1964!!!!

Matt
Old 02-18-2016, 05:31 PM
When Pigs Fly!

That's Matt,
Great post - history and pictures.

www.oddlrockets.com
www.modelrocketbuilding.blogspot.com
http://www.nar.org/educational-reso...ing-techniques/
Your results may vary
"Nose cones roll, be careful with that."
Every spaceman needs a ray gun.
Look out - I'm the Meister Shyster!
Old 02-18-2016, 06:38 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

That kit is in amazing condition for its age! I'd be a little nervous flying it without a paper motor tube, I'd fear the styrene motor tube would not hold up over time. Then again, I'd maybe fly it once and retire it.

I've got several DML 1/35 V-2 plastic model kits I bought years ago for PMC. They look to be a pretty easy conversion. At 1/35 scale, they are just shy of 2" (49mm) in diameter. The molded detailing on them is very nice.

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 02-19-2016, 07:10 AM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManofSteele
– the only paper tube in the whole kit is the launch lug (which almost appears to have been forgotten when the molded parts were made and added afterwards).

To keep the mold simple, some plastic kits use small plastic loops for launch lugs that allow air to pass out of the tube. This may be why he didn't have the mold set up for lugs. Another reason might have been to get some sales in the plastic modeler (static model) crowd that wouldn't like the extra junk hanging off of it.
Old 02-20-2016, 12:17 PM
Master Modeler

Oh my...thank you for posting those pictures and the information! This is the type of model rocket that 3D printing will make practical, plastic ones that *don't* cost a fortune to tool-up for, and that can be made with proper thicknesses of plastic where it's appropriate.
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR