Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Vendors
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2016, 11:28 PM
Craftsman

Dude, don't take it so personally. I also have to do what I think it best.

Follow us on Facebook

Even the best of friends cannot attend each others' funeral.
Old 08-29-2016, 11:39 PM
Craftsman

Anyway, the first two are finished except for paint and decals. I've finished writing and illustrating the instructions and I'll have to spend some time doing flight tests to make sure everything is okay before producing the kit. I'm not sure when we'll have the kit out, probably next year. I've fest tracked these as much as I can but I need to finish up the Pumpkin Pie kit I'm trying to get out in the next couple of weeks. Our Swordfish kit is really close to being finished as well, it may come out before the Arapahos or it may not, it just depends on the breaks. Once I get some test flights in, and hopefully find no issues, I'll get started building models to photograph and laying out the instructions.

Thanks YORFers for putting up with my kit development thread. I know I probably put too much information in it but I knew it would be my last one and I sorta went all out. I'll be sure to post when these kits are available.

Why are you still reading this? Go build something.

Follow us on Facebook

Old 08-30-2016, 08:15 AM
Where'd it go?

Yay!!!

Bob
p.s. can't wait, what a great model!

NAR# 54643 L-1

SAM# 043

AMA# 157091

VRCS# 154

A&P# 42x xx xxxx.
Old 08-30-2016, 09:12 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretSquirrel
Dude, don't take it so personally. I also have to do what I think it best.

I'm not taking it personally... just a difference of opinion, which is fine.

I'm just saying I OFTEN deviate from parts of kit instructions that suggest methods or materials or techniques I do not like or prefer alternatives to. Nothing personal about it. I just have "my own way" which is, IMHO, better, at least for me.

Others can do things they way they prefer, as can the kit provider or instruction writer. No "right or wrong" about it in most cases, just differences of opinion.

Later and good luck with the project! OL J R
Old 09-11-2016, 02:43 PM
BAR

Quote:
We're planning to keep the decals pretty close to the original but they won't be exactly the same. The white thunderbird is our issue, we're trying to decide whether to make it a black waterslide decal (the option I like least) or supply some kind of peel and stick mask for painting or have some white vinyl decals cut. I haven't had time to really explore the last two options yet.
The first batch of kits didn't include a white thunderbird, but then John started including it, probably when Excelsior got involved. IIRC he sent me one after the fact. I like the peel n stick mask, or vinyl options - White looks really great on a color fin.

FWIW, I think the reason John used 2 LLs spaced far apart was simply because the Cherokee-D did.
NAR #87246 www.wooshrocketry.org
Old 09-11-2016, 09:23 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulK
FWIW, I think the reason John used 2 LLs spaced far apart was simply because the Cherokee-D did.

I think so too but my concern is that it would give some people an effective launch rod length of only 12 or 13 inches max. That's why we won't be recommending that configuration.

Follow us on Facebook

Old 09-12-2016, 07:21 AM
BAR

Quote:
I think so too but my concern is that it would give some people an effective launch rod length of only 12 or 13 inches max. That's why we won't be recommending that configuration.
A good call - the original positions are clearly for aesthetic, not functional reasons. I look forward to this kit (and the follow-up Mega-Arapahoe version designed for 29mm BP motors!).
NAR #87246 www.wooshrocketry.org
Old 09-12-2016, 08:51 AM
Master Modeler

You get to write the instructions any way you want. For those of us who have preferences different from manufacturer recommendations there's always the option to use a longer launch rod.

Quote:
Old 09-12-2016, 11:45 AM
Craftsman

Some people have short rods, some have longer ones. We have to take that into consideration. Buying a longer rod just for the purpose of moving the lug further up the body isn't the best suggestion I've heard. When people buy the kit, if they have an issue, they're going to come to me, not some guy on a forum. I need to do what I think is necessary to provide a quality product. We fully test these rockets and make any adjustments based on field tests until we're satisfied that there will be minimal issues for the customer. We even have some designs that were never kitted because they didn't pass these tests. I'm not sure why some of you are so intent on picking nits but I'm at a loss to understand the need for it. I've never been so insecure that I needed to go to any other kit manufacturer and throw a thread off the rails for such a minor point. I think some of you are forgetting we sell kits to novice flyers and have to keep that in mind. You seem to want us to do what you would do on a one off build and that isn't a good decision for us. I'm pretty sure the time has come for me to stop discussing this kit on the forum. I'm unsubscribing from the thread and hope not to see it again. For those of you still sending similar emails, please stop that as well, I'm no longer responding. I've covered my thinking on this well enough already.

Follow us on Facebook

Last edited by SecretSquirrel : 09-13-2016 at 12:00 AM.