Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > 3D Printing Asylum
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2019, 01:45 AM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasar
... If I remember correctly, it's a MakerBot ... I really don't think he uses it much, ...

After being one of the founders of the industry, MakerBot had a spell that earned them an extremely poor reputation for quality. It could be that he doesn't use it because it doesn't work worth a ****. (ps. I own an early MakerBot that works quite nicely.)
Old 07-09-2019, 11:31 PM
Craftsman

Are you familiar with RockSim software used for the flight simulation of model rockets? If you are, that software makes it easy to draw model rocket parts and export the files into the 3D printers slicing software https://www.apogeerockets.com/educa...wsletter476.pdf

The article also reviews the workflow for 3D printing and gives tips on where to learn about 3D printing and 3D printers from YouTube channels like "Makers Muse" and "Todays 3D Print".

I is best to first learn how to draw the 3D parts, since free 3D print services are easy to come by at places like local libraries and schools; and there are for pay 3D print services like Shapeways. A good 3 D printer can cost less than $200, but you have to be mechanically inclined and willing to learn and put up with the nuances of the printer you purchase.
Bruce S. Levison, NAR #69055
Old 07-10-2019, 02:42 PM
Craftsman

Hi, Bruce. Yes, I'm somewhat familiar with RockSim, but since I'm learning Fusion 360, I'd like to stick with that for the design phase. I read your article and found it very informative. However, I'm confused about something. You state, "At 3 layer thickness, the fin can and launch lug won’t fit over a BT-20 body tube nicely and the pin or bottom of the nose cone doesn’t fit into the bottom of the nose cone if the nose cone is printed with 3 (or more) surface layers thickness.". I thought that whatever you design, that's what gets printed. For example, if I want the nose cone wall to be 2 mm, 5 mm, 10 mm, or a completely solid cone, can I not do that? Thanks.
Old 07-11-2019, 12:35 PM
Craftsman

Here's what I have so far.