Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2013, 07:00 PM
BAR

Default Centuri Stellar Photon Probe KD-16

This one has been on my to-do list for a long time. The old sci-fi designs are my favorites. I kick myself for not grabbing the one I saw for auction 4-5 years ago. So, last year's Semroc Christmas sale provided the last bits I needed. Semroc has laser cut fins for this, as well as all the NC, pre-cut body tubes, and all CRs.

Bob Thomas' Build was helpful in this build.

While Estes has come out with similar kits, none are quite like this original. All estes kits had far fewer reactor vanes, and changes to the fins, NC, and, of course, don't use ST size tubing. The most difficult part was probably the decals. It took a couple attempts to draw the roll patterns just right, and I think they're pretty close to some of the graphics from this kit I've seen (see the last photo in Bob's post). I'm having trouble with "Experts Choice" decals the last year or so, they seem to melt very easy if I put too much liquid decal film, and they're way too thin to simply put clear coat on. My newer inkjet printer has black ink that also don't like decal film...

While the only color graphic I've seen seems more red, I decided on fluorescent orange, I like the way it pops. I still need to detail the toothpicks and engine tube.

Here's Semroc's parts list: http://www.semroc.com/Store/scripts...arts.asp?ID=554 The large CRs are not listed, but they do carry them.

Oh, and the logo decals came from here: http://rocketry.newcenturycomputers.net/decals.html Thanks Chris!

Anyhow, as long as I don't look too closely, it turned out OK.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  StellarPhotonProbe01.JPG
Views: 205
Size:  92.7 KB  
NAR #87246 www.wooshrocketry.org
Old 09-11-2013, 11:07 PM
That 70's Rocketeer

Yours looks terrific! I like the color.

I love the old Centuri designs. I cloned one a while ago, in fact it was the first rocket I built as a BAR returning to the hobby. Mine flew very nice.

I bought parts from Semroc to build another more accurate clone, but it's pretty far back in the build pile......

Let us know how she flies.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  58.0 KB  

"You know, it, uh, won't fly unless somebody pushes the button." From the movie October Sky.

I am SAM # 0167
NAR 98303 Southwestern Ohio Rocketry Association (SORA) #624
https://www.rocketryohio.com
Old 09-11-2013, 11:28 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulK
This one has been on my to-do list for a long time. The old sci-fi designs are my favorites. I kick myself for not grabbing the one I saw for auction 4-5 years ago. So, last year's Semroc Christmas sale provided the last bits I needed. Semroc has laser cut fins for this, as well as all the NC, pre-cut body tubes, and all CRs.

Bob Thomas' Build was helpful in this build.

While Estes has come out with similar kits, none are quite like this original. All estes kits had far fewer reactor vanes, and changes to the fins, NC, and, of course, don't use ST size tubing. The most difficult part was probably the decals. It took a couple attempts to draw the roll patterns just right, and I think they're pretty close to some of the graphics from this kit I've seen (see the last photo in Bob's post). I'm having trouble with "Experts Choice" decals the last year or so, they seem to melt very easy if I put too much liquid decal film, and they're way too thin to simply put clear coat on. My newer inkjet printer has black ink that also don't like decal film...

While the only color graphic I've seen seems more red, I decided on fluorescent orange, I like the way it pops. I still need to detail the toothpicks and engine tube.

Here's Semroc's parts list: http://www.semroc.com/Store/scripts...arts.asp?ID=554 The large CRs are not listed, but they do carry them.

Oh, and the logo decals came from here: http://rocketry.newcenturycomputers.net/decals.html Thanks Chris!

Anyhow, as long as I don't look too closely, it turned out OK.

OK? Geez, that's an understatement. That's beautiful, man. The Estes Solar Probe was one that I had maimed by a "launch buddy" a couple of weekends back. Of all the rockets he crushed, that one looks like it might be the toughest to fix.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 09-13-2013, 06:49 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by timorley
Yours looks terrific! I like the color.

I love the old Centuri designs. I cloned one a while ago, in fact it was the first rocket I built as a BAR returning to the hobby. Mine flew very nice.

I bought parts from Semroc to build another more accurate clone, but it's pretty far back in the build pile......

Let us know how she flies.
Thanks Tim. I now recall seeing your post on the old TRF - Here it is. Gee, I even posted to the thread, guess it *has* been on my list for a long time!

I'll definitely fly it, perhaps we'll have a "Centuri Day" theme club launch next year. I'm thinking B6-4.

It sure would be great to see original decal scans for this kit.
Old 09-13-2013, 06:50 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
OK? Geez, that's an understatement. That's beautiful, man.
Thanks Bill! There *are* advantages to low resolution jpegs.
Old 12-17-2016, 07:40 PM
Master Modeler

Looking to clone this kit, and have a couple of questions:

1) What are the dimensions of the PR-816 reducers used in the kit (scan would be helpful), and

2) Does anyone have a scan of the decals (or sell them)?

Thanks in advance!
In finishing: Centuri Sabre clone
In primer:
In paint:
Ready for decals:

Bill Cooke
NAR #31312
TRA #19705
SAM #0001
Huntsville, AL

My rocket blog
My rocket fleet
Old 12-17-2016, 10:20 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanel
1) What are the dimensions of the PR-816 reducers used in the kit (scan would be helpful), and

Found the answer to this one - the shroud is 1.7" in length.

Still need
Quote:
In finishing: Centuri Sabre clone
In primer:
In paint:
Ready for decals:

Bill Cooke
NAR #31312
TRA #19705
SAM #0001
Huntsville, AL

My rocket blog
My rocket fleet
Old 12-19-2016, 09:34 PM
BAR

Quote:
Looking to clone this kit, and have a couple of questions:

Thanks in advance!

I used the tool from http://rocketry.newcenturycomputers.net/shroudcalc.html to create a shroud using 110# paper. IIRC, I determined the vertical dimension from a photo, knowing that it transitioned from ST-8 to ST-16.

I could not find decals for this kit, so I drew my own. They're not as exact as Kurt would have done, but reasonably accurate. I've attached a PDF that prints out on 8.5x11 clear decal paper, you're welcome to use them, just show us your finished product!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf StellarPhotonProbe1x.pdf (68.0 KB, 25 views)
Old 12-19-2016, 09:55 PM
Custom Cone, Kit & Decal Maker

Quote:
Found the answer to this one - the shroud is 1.7" in length.

Still need

The decal appears to be pretty much all black. If I could get a good scan I can still print black with no issues.

I'll print a few sets.

http://sandmandecals.com/
Old 12-21-2016, 09:09 AM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman
The decal appears to be pretty much all black. If I could get a good scan I can still print black with no issues.

I'll print a few sets.
I'll assume you're talking about printing a cleaned-up scan of originals, if you're able to obtain one.

My decals were drawn from looking at photos, nothing more, so they're definitely not for purists. The fonts are not exact, the roll patterns and hatches are approximate. For "good enough" clones, anyone is welcome to use them on their personal builds. They should print fine on any home ink jet printer with clear ink-jet decal paper.