Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2019, 06:59 AM
Semi-Pro Rocketeer TRA 10484 L2

Default Estes Titan IIIe clone

I have talked with Boyce Aerospace about 3D printing all the plastic parts it takes to build a Estes Titan IIIe Rocket. They worked up the files and will print these at the following cost:
“I can print all the parts for the Titan IIIe on our FDM printers for $55.00 plus $10.00 shipping. I can also print all the parts on our DSLA Hi-Rez printer (50 um resolution) for $75.00 plus $10.00 shipping.”

Here is the original kits tube sizes and lengths for the Estes 2019 Titan IIIE based on John Brohm’s, tube ref. List.

BT-70 was 6.25” long: This is the Main upper Payload Bay

BT-60 was 13.313” long: This was the main lower Air Frame

BT-60’s was 10.375” long: Two of these serve as the main side boosters

BT-50’s was 4.00” long: Two were used for the fin tube holders in each of the BT60 side boosters.

BT-950’s was 6.25” long: the fins was mounted on these and they were pushed into the two side boosters for flight.
6.25”

BT-5’s was 3.75” Long: Two serve as the catalyst fuel tanks

BT-50 was 2.75” Long: Served as the motor mount tube.

I believe e rockets SEM-LT-085160 tube will sub out for the BT-950 fin pod tubes that slide into the BT 50s but this will have to be doubled Checked.

Just ordered mine today FDM printed.

Hope you friends like this idea? Sure beats eBay prices for this kit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  2F5C8798-3722-4904-8F03-7928E0C994BF.jpeg
Views: 84
Size:  74.5 KB  
Old 07-19-2019, 08:19 AM
Lost his Drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash
Hope you friends like this idea? Sure beats eBay prices for this kit.

I object to the surface roughness and visible layer lines of FDM printed parts. Sure, you can fill in the roughness and try to cover up the layer lines, but the parts get very heavy. Many people don't seem to mind what I perceive as a gross defect; if they're happy with the part quality then I am happy that they found a way to enjoy this hobby.
MTMA Section #606 President
Old 07-19-2019, 09:30 AM
Master Modeler

I have read that printed parts can be smoothed out, at least to some extent, by putting them in a closed container with some acetone. The vapors soften the surface and allow it to be polished.

I'd rather have injection molded parts, mind you!
NAR #27085 - Oregon Rocketry - SAM
Old 07-19-2019, 11:22 AM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

I’ve held off buying any 3D printed parts due to the amount of sanding required. Parts made with the new DSLA printers look promising from pictures I’ve seen.

I can probably wait, I have close to 150 kits I can build in the meantime. I probably have enough parts to build another 15-20 rockets. I’m assuming I’m about in the middle of the pack. I’ve heard others talk about having many hundreds of unbuilt kits. Somebody out there mentioned having over 1000 kits.

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 07-19-2019, 01:58 PM

Hey you got me concerned so I upgraded to the DSLA printing, it does a very good job, I have Saturn 1 SA5, SA7, 1b from them printed that way.

They have just added DLP printing which they say requires no sanding. Looks like they are going to give rocketeers a choice mainly between DSLA or DLP printing in the future with DLP costing more. They are offering the 1/100 Scale Saturn V fin-shroud assembly first with this type of printing.

I talked to E-Rockets about the tube choice for the Titan fin pods. Randy said that LT085 would be a tight fit into a BT50 and he recommend a ST8F into a ST9 for the fin pods which is workable.

Here is my thoughts, The LT085 is .040 thick, giving you good strength and should be no problem to sand down some, leaving a desirable tight fit to hold them in place during flight.

Also, they have another option, they have a BT50+ that a BT50 can slide into, these two tubes could also serve as a replacement for the Titan's original BT950 into the BT50 combination.

So a builder would have at least three choices here for the fin pods and booster receiver tubes
Old 07-19-2019, 07:36 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Looks like I need to do some reading. I thought that DSLA was the hottest thing going. I didn’t realize DLP is the latest technology that can eliminate, or at least greatly reduce, any need to sand.

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 07-20-2019, 06:56 AM

What Is DLP? DLP, or digital light processing, is a 3D printing technology that projects each layer, creating an illuminated plane where photopolymerization occurs. Unlike SLA, restricted to a single spot, the moment the light hits the resin, the whole layer is formed at once during DLP printing. A LCD screen creates a digital mask of each layer that functions as a stencil of the object that is being printed and allows LED ultraviolet light to pass thru and cure the resin.

Why DLP? Products printed using DLP are highly-detailed and require no sanding! Just primer, paint and you're done!

Copied from Boyce Aerospace site
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  090C3E91-D960-4D57-8109-FBABFDA3791D.jpeg
Views: 37
Size:  78.9 KB  
Old 07-20-2019, 10:19 AM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash
What Is DLP? DLP, or digital light processing, is a 3D printing technology that projects each layer, creating an illuminated plane where photopolymerization occurs. Unlike SLA, restricted to a single spot, the moment the light hits the resin, the whole layer is formed at once during DLP printing. A LCD screen creates a digital mask of each layer that functions as a stencil of the object that is being printed and allows LED ultraviolet light to pass thru and cure the resin.

Why DLP? Products printed using DLP are highly-detailed and require no sanding! Just primer, paint and you're done!

Copied from Boyce Aerospace site

Does DLP printing use a disco mirror like DLP TV's of previous decades?

Old 07-20-2019, 01:06 PM

??? When in doubt, google
Old 08-31-2019, 07:44 PM

Update, Stickershock23.com now has the decals sets for this Rocket in vinyl. It has been said that their decal sheets look a lot better than the original ones. The bronze really stands out. The Titan IIIe decals require two sheets, the cost is $30 + 8 shipping. I’ve got mine on order, just wanted to let everyone know since they aren’t on their website yet. If anyone wants them, just use the email contact info on their site.