Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2017, 10:41 AM
Opinions mine; not of NAR or MOF!

Default The MPC Nike Smoke

The Nike Smoke was one of Stine's favorites. It was featured in an extensive "Astro-Scale" article he wrote for Model Rocketry magazine, which was supported with detailed scale data accumulated in his time at White Sands.

As we have seen before, Stine would provide 3x5 cards which told the history behind models in his collection he felt were significant. This MPC model Nike Smoke is likely the first one built from the test examples of the initial plastic parts created by MPC. The same molds were used by Quest in their commemorative Nike Smoke production run.

Here's another different completed model.

Old 07-15-2017, 09:21 AM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by pterodactyl
While the National Collection contains many significant artifacts from the development of MPC's rocket line, what is lacking is a detailed history of the why and how of their development. Some of that story is captured in Stine's "Old Rocketeer" columns published in Model Rocketry magazine during that period, but there are many gaps. To our loss, I don't believe Harry Stine ever sat down for an oral history interview to discuss that period almost 50 years ago.

Pat (and others),

The Stine archives at NASM have a significant amount of correspondence related to GHS and the MPC foray into the modroc market. While I do not have any copies of the documents here, the correspondence starts with an enthusiastic and optimistic tone on the part of all involved, then declines as the projected sales volumes fail to materialize, illustrating exactly what Myke Bergenske shared in his conversation with Chris Michielssen.

After MPC exits the market there is additional conversation between GHS and Myke concerning AVI, but it is hinted in the documents that the new venture lacked both the capital and capabilities to sustain the business.

James
Old 07-17-2017, 08:29 PM
Opinions mine; not of NAR or MOF!

Default MPC Week: The Starter Kit

Like all model rocket manufacturers MPC felt compelled to offer a starter kit. This one might have came and went too fast for any of us to see it in a chain store or hobby shop. The kit contained the essential elements that would allow a rocketeer to get flying. I won't picture all the components here, so if you need a detail shot let me know. You'll notice a small AVI sticker on this kit, indicating it was part of the post MPC model rocketry apocalypse.

The contents were neatly restrained for transport. To my knowledge MPC was the first manufacturer to use the parabolic ceramic deflector. It's partially visible under the arched cardboard piece.

For bonus points can anybody tell us who is generally credited with developing this type of deflector?

Like most starter kits, this one also has "some assembly required". These pieces yield a pretty cool looking launch controller that looked more like a slot car rheostat control than anything else on the market.

Here we have the first model rocket launcher to include a weather vane. However unlike its farmyard cousin, it lacked the important rooster accompaniment. An oversight in my opinion......

This style launcher would surface once again under the Canaroc label.

Old 07-18-2017, 09:00 AM
Master Modeler

I have couple of the MPC launchers, complete with "egg" deflectors, but never managed to snag a launch controller. I wish I had, back when had AVI loot!

I may have gotten one of the pads in the remains of an MPC starter set bought at a garage sale. Maybe.
NAR #27085 - Oregon Rocketry - SAM
Old 07-18-2017, 10:09 AM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

I do not recall seeing the MPC launch pad and controller items or sets in Colorado hobby shops as a kid. It may have been a regional thing. I also never saw Centuri's products. I did manage to see a catalog and ordered some motors. Ironically, those were the motors made by Estes and looked mostly identical, with the colored ink bands and company markings. I cannot believe I never ordered any kits, but I was more of a scratch-builder as a kid.

I guess the Estes influence in Colorado was very strong. We had some hobby shops that stocked every kit, motor, and part available, but not until maybe the mid-60s. It was all mail order for me in the beginning. Some of my fondest memories of childhood were hearing the doorbell ring early in the morning, and running downstairs to see the mailman standing on the porch with a long skinny box from "The Model Rocket Capital of the World" -- Penrose.

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 07-18-2017, 01:07 PM
Founder, Estes Industries

Default View from the Model Capital of the World

The MPC entry into the market was not viewed lightly in Penrose. Backed by giant General Mills, and assisted by the expertise and knowledge of Harry Stine, it looked like it might be something of real competitive concern. We watched with great interest as the future unfolded. Let's put it this way:

"MPC's rocket like high level thrust into the market soon entered the coasting phase which delayed their anticipated progress. The MPC marketing coast phase abruptly ended with the opening of a rescue parachute, drifting slowly to the ground. Like the flight of a model rocket, it didn't last long."

MPC was trying to plow new ground in how model rockets were offered to the public. Unfortunately, even with their innovative products, it was not where the market was at the time. As had been the case for many years, we focused our attention on Centuri, who continued nipping at our heals for market share. My estimate at the time would have been Estes 70%, Centuri 30% of the model rocket market. (not allowing for other smaller companies) -- Vern
NAR member since 1958, #380
Click to go to Vern's web site: Vern Estes
Old 07-18-2017, 01:48 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vern
As had been the case for many years, we focused our attention on Centuri, who continued nipping at our heals for market share. My estimate at the time would have been Estes 70%, Centuri 30% of the model rocket market. (not allowing for other smaller companies) -- Vern

With Estes and Centuri competition in mind, how did it play out for Centuri to sell rebranded Estes motors throughout the 70's while the two Damon companies still operated separately and competed with each other? I can understand that Mabel and her sisters were able to crank out more motors than Estes could sell, but it seems that holding back on the motors and allowing Centuri to wither on the vine would have resulted in that 30% migrating to Estes.
Old 07-18-2017, 03:50 PM
Founder, Estes Industries

Default Engine sales to Centuri

The only time I regretted selling engines to Centuri was a short time in the mid 1960's. Mabel was running 24 hours a day, seven days a week and could not keep up. We had orders we could not fill, and still shared the available supply with Centuri. The problem was solved when Mabel 2 came on line.

Centuri brought a lot to the table in terms of their contribution and advancement of the hobby. Lee and Betty were our friends. We traveled together to enjoy the sights of Paris, London, New York, etc. Their may have been times when we could have taken action to harm Centuri, but I do not think it would have served us well. I have frequently said that "Centuri was an important part of our success.". Nothing makes you run faster than having someone behind you nipping at your heals.

I well remember in the early/mid 1960's receiving a box from Lee. I opened it at my desk in Penrose. Inside was a brand new Centuri full color catalog, far superior in appearance to the catalog we were using at the time. Included with the catalog was a Crying Towel. Believe me, our next catalog showed a vast improvement. Thank you Centuri! -- Vern

Pat -- Sorry if my posts are a diversion form the topic. Looking forward to your next post on MOF collection. Enjoying seeing all of the historic items in the collection. -- Vern
NAR member since 1958, #380
Click to go to Vern's web site: Vern Estes
Old 07-18-2017, 04:33 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Sorry if my posts are a diversion form the topic.

Heck, Vern, these comments are invaluable business / personal context! The kind of thing that will be cited in a history book someday.

Thinking back: I learned about model rocketry through a little B&W Estes advertisement in Boy's Life in 1970. (I didn't follow through until I found an actual catalog at summer camp, which made the amazing promises in that ad real!) There was a more colorful ad (maybe 1/6th page) with a bonus kit offer later that year that I used to order my own first catalog. (Estes & Centuri also took out classified ads in the back of Popular Science and similar magazines; virtually the same ad year after year.)

MPC ran ads in Boy's Life as well, and they were full page! I imagine that required a healthy advertising budget.

I got my first rockets and motors from Estes, mail order, perhaps fall 1970.

MPC motors and Centuri kits appeared in a local (Glen Cove, LI) hardware / variety store late in 1970. MPC motors and kits, as well as the Cox line, appeared in a small hobby shop up the road at about the same time.

Estes kits started showing up in 1972 or so, at a toy shop across the street from the hardware store. I was a loyal Estes kid, and this was welcome. Oh, and a little later a "card shop" (a variety store, with a newsstand and candy counter up front, and stationary, toys, and gifts in back) carried Estes kits.

I don't recall any model rockets, other than perhaps Vashon, showing up in the big toy superstores that were starting to appear at the time.

So . . . lots of distribution in a wide variety of outlets.
NAR #27085 - Oregon Rocketry - SAM
Old 07-18-2017, 05:56 PM
frustrated aero

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeR
I do not recall seeing the MPC launch pad and controller items or sets in Colorado hobby shops as a kid. It may have been a regional thing. I also never saw Centuri's products. I did manage to see a catalog and ordered some motors. Ironically, those were the motors made by Estes and looked mostly identical, with the colored ink bands and company markings. I cannot believe I never ordered any kits, but I was more of a scratch-builder as a kid.

I guess the Estes influence in Colorado was very strong. We had some hobby shops that stocked every kit, motor, and part available, but not until maybe the mid-60s. It was all mail order for me in the beginning. Some of my fondest memories of childhood were hearing the doorbell ring early in the morning, and running downstairs to see the mailman standing on the porch with a long skinny box from "The Model Rocket Capital of the World" -- Penrose.

Lee I had nearly the opposite experience growing up in a small Arizona town...the hobby shop there was strictly Centuri! He did carry Model Rocketry magazine and it was in there I learned about Estes and the other companies I didn't start mail ordering until we moved to Tucson. The hobby shops there had more balanced stock of Centuri, Estes, and later Cox and MPC.
Get yer Barrowmans here