Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2011, 04:31 PM
CG to close to CP

Default Nar Rule Changes Call for NAR members!

With the current re-certification of the A8-0, and A10-0T, and comments about the old motor staches. It made me think about Motor Certification rule changes. NAR allows for Rule changes to the Pink Book, but what would it take to get changes to Motor Certifications. THe change would be "Once certified, always certified, unless de-certified for safety reasons". Can we do some form a petition drive? Lets call on all NAR members to see if we can get this changed!

Mike D.
NAR 74058 Level 2
Old 03-28-2011, 04:40 PM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyd
With the current re-certification of the A8-0, and A10-0T, and comments about the old motor staches. It made me think about Motor Certification rule changes. NAR allows for Rule changes to the Pink Book, but what would it take to get changes to Motor Certifications. THe change would be "Once certified, always certified, unless de-certified for safety reasons". Can we do some form a petition drive? Lets call on all NAR members to see if we can get this changed!

Mike D.
NAR 74058 Level 2

Heh, good luck. This has been attempted a number of times in the past.
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 03-28-2011, 04:45 PM
Flying since 1977

I'm not sure but isn't the decert for going OOP in in NFPA 1122, 1125, or 1127? I wouldn't mind being able to use some of my old and OOP motors.

Mike Toelle

NAR 31692 L1

SAM 0373

Last edited by mwtoelle : 03-28-2011 at 04:47 PM. Reason: Added something
Old 03-28-2011, 04:46 PM
CG to close to CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltvscout
Heh, good luck. This has been attempted a number of times in the past.

Seems to me, that if this is what the members want, then we should be able to effect change, unless there is documented safety reasons not to allow this.

I say we start a pettion drive. Not sure how to do this, on line, but if anyone has a good way to do this, then lets do it.

Mike D.
NAR 74058 Level 2
Old 03-28-2011, 04:58 PM
Launching since 1970.

Old 03-28-2011, 05:07 PM
CG to close to CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreadvector

Initially I thought that the EMTP, Expired Motor Testing Program, was an attempt to do this, I now think it is more of a way not to do it. I think it is easy to say, "Not enough people participated, so there is not enough data to say it is safe!" I think it should be the other way, as there is not enough data to prove it is not safe. And in light of old motors that go back into production, allowing the old stock to be grandfathered, to me speaks to the fact that safety is not the issue here.

Mike D.
NAR 74058
Old 03-28-2011, 09:32 PM
I do not like Facebook

Quote:
Initially I thought that the EMTP, Expired Motor Testing Program, was an attempt to do this, I now think it is more of a way not to do it. I think it is easy to say, "Not enough people participated, so there is not enough data to say it is safe!" I think it should be the other way, as there is not enough data to prove it is not safe. And in light of old motors that go back into production, allowing the old stock to be grandfathered, to me speaks to the fact that safety is not the issue here.

The Expired Motor Testing Program was a head fake. It makes people who want to fly old motors happy because it gives them a way to do it. It makes those who collect old motors happy because it reduces the supply and makes their collections more valuable.

Bill
Old 03-28-2011, 09:34 PM
I do not like Facebook

Quote:
Seems to me, that if this is what the members want, then we should be able to effect change, unless there is documented safety reasons not to allow this.

I say we start a pettion drive. Not sure how to do this, on line, but if anyone has a good way to do this, then lets do it.

A motion for change can be made from the floor at the annual meeting at NARAM. It was tried last year, but did not pass.

Bill
Old 03-29-2011, 01:25 AM
Trust me, it'll work!

I have found when they say "Not Enough data", they mean "Not Enough Data" from someone we like and will listen to!

Old 03-29-2011, 06:07 AM
MMXCVII

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwtoelle
I'm not sure but isn't the decert for going OOP in in NFPA 1122, 1125, or 1127? I wouldn't mind being able to use some of my old and OOP motors.

No, it's NAR policy.