Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Kit Collecting
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2015, 05:10 PM
Black Wolf Rocketry

Default eBay sellers and angry collectors

So, after reading and commenting in another thread, I had the need to speak my mind but I did not wish to step on another persons thread so decided to start one of my own. Thus begins my mini rant...

You see, there are a number of collectors that get very angry about others who buy collectibles and resell them at a markup. While I understand the sentiment, I have to say that once you sell your item, you no longer have the right to complain what happens to it. If an individual bids to the sky or sneaks in when you are not looking and picks up a bargain is irrelevant. If this causes the "market" of collectibles to be set askew, this is also irrelevant.

The fact is that the only way to be sure your "precious" items are never used for profiteering is to never sell them at all. If you must sell them, then hand pick who you sell them to. Either way, complaining about what happens to them after the fact is nothing more than sour grapes.

I hate rules.
Old 09-05-2015, 05:26 PM
Craftsman

I think this is directed at me.
But I agree with you.
If you have a collectable to sell,
Sell it here first.
Evil bay should be a last resort in MHO.
Keep the kits where they are appreciated for what they are.
Not an opertunity for profit as some do.
I'm most affectionate towards the kits I could not afford as a youngin.
And I truely despise those that profit which makes us whole as rockteers.
e'nuff said.
Old 09-05-2015, 05:59 PM
Black Wolf Rocketry

Woody, I apologize. I should have made it clear that my steam letting was not particularly aimed at you or any one particular individual, although it was your post that pushed me to reply. In fact, you posting on the matter is one of the more civil on the subject that I have read here over the years. Some folks get truly angry when someone buys something from them to resell instead of collect.

You are of course correct in that, if someone cares about where the kit goes, they should make an individual deal with someone they trust in a place like this. Still, that is no guaranty. Many do go to eBay however because the money can be much better there.

Anyway, please do not take my mini rant as a personal retort aimed at you, as it was not.

I hate rules.
Old 09-05-2015, 06:41 PM
Craftsman

All is good my friend.
Happy days.
Old 09-06-2015, 12:10 AM
7/21/61

I have to say I fail to see what the issue is, particularly this obsession with the behavior of Goodrocks.

He wins auctions by being the high bidder. So the issue would be, what? How, exactly is he harming the model rocket community by being the high bidder on public auctions?

Then he pays money to list his items on eBay and asks prices higher than what I would want to pay but apparently acceptable to his buyers. Every time he buys something he knows he has to sell it for at least 20% more just to break even. So, again, the issue is what?

I don't understand what it is about this that Woody finds even remotely unacceptable. Goodrocks is not cheating anyone. He tries to buy low and sell high, kind of the all-American thing to do. Every time he buys something he takes the risk that it won't sell for what he thinks it will. Again, I don't really understand what is so nefarious about this.

Buying open kits, replacing the broken parts, and then reselling the kits. Clearly these are being sold as open kits. He's not hiding that. So, again, the issue is what?

I've both bought from and sold to Mr. Wong. I've never met him or spoke to him but I've always found him to be honest and friendly. Occasionally he's put in low-ball bids on my items and ended up winning, then turned around and resold the item for more. So what? Am I supposed to dislike him for that? If you buy and sell on eBay, that's the game.

I know Goodrocks builds and flies, and he uses his knowledge of rocket kit values to finance his hobby. Again, what's the issue?

I find this obsession with Goodrocks and trying to portray him as somehow dishonest as unwarranted and really kind of weird.
Old 09-06-2015, 06:12 AM
Old Canuck Modeller

Well said!
Old 09-06-2015, 11:31 AM
Black Wolf Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus
I have to say I fail to see what the issue is, particularly this obsession with the behavior of Goodrocks.

<snip>

I find this obsession with Goodrocks and trying to portray him as somehow dishonest as unwarranted and really kind of weird.

I have to agree with Mojo, this is really well stated. I sort of wish I had taken the time to lay it out like this.

I have also had some dealings with goodrocks, both transactional and conversational. I have found him to be a very decent person, at least as it regards our dealings. I have helped him find some answers he did not have and in return he sent me some parts I was curious about. He seems very friendly and accommodating.

I hate rules.
Old 09-06-2015, 05:42 PM
BAR

I agree... That's the American way and really just entrepreneurial.... Take something you buy low, add value in the case of adding new components to damaged kits, and sell high... Let the MARKET decide...

If he's bidding to low and can't get anything, he'll dry up. If he's selling at prices to big for the market to bear, he'll dry up... So long as he's not misrepresenting what he sells, what's the problem?

If he sneaks in and gets something from you too cheap, isn't that the sellers fault for not setting a high enough reserve, or none at all, implying they'll take whatever is offered, they want it gone?

If you're picky about where it goes out what happens to it with the new owner, then hand pick who you sell it to...

Later! OL JR
Old 09-13-2015, 02:06 PM
Master Modeler

Wow, my friend Harold made a post. Kewl!
Old 09-13-2015, 04:10 PM
Black Wolf Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlazarus6660
Wow, my friend Harold made a post. Kewl!

Hello, old friend...

Yeah, I don't have a lot of time for the forums these days. It seems recreating my life at this age is more work than I thought it would be. Lots of fun but also lots of work...

I hate rules.