Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Swap Shoppe > Wanted: Dead or Alive!
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-30-2016, 09:00 PM
majordude majordude is offline
Junior Rocketeer
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 12
Default WANTED! BMS Gold Medalist Launch Tower

I am in the SoCal area.

Would also be interested in other easy to adjust towers as well.

Inbox me at: majordude at gmail dot com

Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-30-2016, 10:50 PM
Gus's Avatar
Gus Gus is offline
7/21/61
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: North of Detroit
Posts: 1,780
Default

I highly recommend the Apogee Competition Launch Tower which you can see here. Very nicely done and far more portable than a medalist, not to mention the fact that they are actually available.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  ApogeeTower.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  48.5 KB  
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-30-2016, 10:58 PM
majordude majordude is offline
Junior Rocketeer
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 12
Default

Thanks.

Actually, I have one.

But I wanted one a bit more sturdy for F-I motors.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-30-2016, 11:04 PM
Gus's Avatar
Gus Gus is offline
7/21/61
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: North of Detroit
Posts: 1,780
Default

I have a medalist tower and I've launched up to an E out of it. I would probably feel comfortable launching an F, but I'd be nervous with a G, and I definitely wouldn't put anything high power in it.

Steve
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-30-2016, 11:55 PM
majordude majordude is offline
Junior Rocketeer
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus
I have a medalist tower and I've launched up to an E out of it. I would probably feel comfortable launching an F, but I'd be nervous with a G, and I definitely wouldn't put anything high power in it.


Really? I thought it was fairly sturdy the last time I saw one. (But it's been years!)
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-01-2016, 12:17 AM
Gus's Avatar
Gus Gus is offline
7/21/61
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: North of Detroit
Posts: 1,780
Default

The medalist is made out of aluminum channel stock so it will hold up to low power black powder just fine. But the rail guides are held in place by fairly mild friction which could be easily overpowered by a higher power motor if the rocket got wedged. Likewise, the lightweight channel stock wouldn't hold up very well if directly exposed to a higher power composite flame.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-01-2016, 09:22 AM
Gus's Avatar
Gus Gus is offline
7/21/61
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: North of Detroit
Posts: 1,780
Default

I thought I'd post a couple of pictures to refresh your memory and to show those who don't know what we are discussing.

One of the drawbacks of the Medalist towers is that with many years of use they tend to bend the 6 sheet aluminum sections that maintain their overall shape (the gold colored sections seen in the photos below with the circular holes in them). The reason for this is that the only real way to transport these towers is on their sides and the thin sheet aluminum eventually bends the tower out of true. You can see on my tower that the support sections at the top of the tower (the part with the "Detroit" sticker) have been replaced with similar pieces made out of steel.

Even so, if you can find one I'd still buy it and use it for low power. I really like the Apogee tower, too, but the Medalist is a classic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  tower 1.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  328.2 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  tower2.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  142.3 KB  
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-13-2016, 03:50 AM
Royatl's Avatar
Royatl Royatl is offline
SPEV/Orion wrangler
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 2,258
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus
I thought I'd post a couple of pictures to refresh your memory and to show those who don't know what we are discussing.

One of the drawbacks of the Medalist towers is that with many years of use they tend to bend the 6 sheet aluminum sections that maintain their overall shape (the gold colored sections seen in the photos below with the circular holes in them). The reason for this is that the only real way to transport these towers is on their sides and the thin sheet aluminum eventually bends the tower out of true. You can see on my tower that the support sections at the top of the tower (the part with the "Detroit" sticker) have been replaced with similar pieces made out of steel.

Even so, if you can find one I'd still buy it and use it for low power. I really like the Apogee tower, too, but the Medalist is a classic.



My Medalist came second-hand, and came bent out of shape. The soft aluminum used for the upper and lower separators are really easy to bend out of shape, but impossible to bend back into shape. Many years ago I asked Bill Saindon about making some more parts but he had sold out of his original supply and was not eager to make more.
__________________
Roy
nar12605
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-13-2016, 09:27 AM
astronwolf astronwolf is offline
Master Modeler
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 549
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royatl
Many years ago I asked Bill Saindon about making some more parts but he had sold out of his original supply and was not eager to make more.

I last spoke to Bill at NARAM-54, and he told me that he had the upper and lower stampings already made. He also told me that he wasn't interested in moving forward with production then, but that he probably will get around to it.... eventually.
__________________
-Wolfram v. Kiparski
NAR 28643
TRA 15520
MTMA Senior Advisor
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:48 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe 1998-2018