Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Building Techniques
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2007, 04:24 PM
Cosmic American

Default Cutting Fins From Raw Balsa Stock

I'm about to be ordering our first kits that require you to cut your own fins out of raw balsa stock and was wondering:

What tools? I have an X-acto #1 with #11 blades (thanks cjl for your tip on the Estes forum!)... is that fine or should I get a razor saw? What size and tooth number is the right kind of razor saw? Where in the heck do I find a metal ruler these days?!?!?

Really, any tips and tools you could recommend for a complete newb at this (all I've done so far is use the X-acto to finish the cutting on some lazer cut kits) would be much appreciated!

For anyone who's interested in the least, I think I'm going to pick up a couple of Zooch kits... the Mercury Redstone and the Saturn V, and I've got my eye on a couple of PRD's.

Much appreciated!
Daniel
Old 02-21-2007, 05:35 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwrunyon
I'm about to be ordering our first kits that require you to cut your own fins out of raw balsa stock and was wondering:

What tools? I have an X-acto #1 with #11 blades (thanks cjl for your tip on the Estes forum!)... is that fine or should I get a razor saw? What size and tooth number is the right kind of razor saw? Where in the heck do I find a metal ruler these days?!?!?

Daniel,

Absolutely, a fresh #11 blade is fine for this job. Just don't try to make a complete cut in one pass -- let the knife do the work, not your hand. Make several passes until the wood is cut through. Change the blade if it starts getting difficult to make a clean cut. As for razor saws, they are good for cutting through blocks, but not for fins like what most of our models use.

Here's a tip: Print a pattern for your fins onto label paper, just like they would be laid out on the balsa sheet. Apply the label to the sheet first, apply a blank label on the opposite side, and gently burnish them down to make a sandwich. Now, cut through that sandwich, using the ruler to keep the cuts straight. The balsa fin has now been cut and sealed in one step. Apply thin CA glue around the outer edges to "lock" the paper to the wood, and to harden the edges. Don't coat the root edge, though. You want the grain exposed for the yellow glue to penetrate.

As for the steel ruler, look in the model railroading section of your LHS. GENERAL makes a good 12" version for the various train scales. HELIX makes some cork-backed steel rules that can be found in STAPLES, OFFICE MAX, or OFFICE DEPOT.

Quote:
Much appreciated!
Daniel

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 02-21-2007, 06:15 PM
Cosmic American

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPMcGraw
HELIX makes some cork-backed steel rules that can be found in STAPLES, OFFICE MAX, or OFFICE DEPOT.

Thank The Maker for that... we have no LHS around here! Much appreciated, I'm glad to know the #11 will handle it... all budget can go to kits rather than supplies!

Thank you very much,
Daniel
Old 02-21-2007, 07:54 PM
BAR Wannabee

Send a message via MSN to JRThro Send a message via Yahoo to JRThro

Quote:
Thank The Maker for that... we have no LHS around here! Much appreciated, I'm glad to know the #11 will handle it... all budget can go to kits rather than supplies!

Thank you very much,
Daniel

One problem I have every time I need to cut out fins from balsa stock is keeping the blade straight. So most of the fins I cut out have angled edges to them before I sand them. I'm not sure how to prevent that from happening.

Also, yes, use a steel straightedge. I have a small piece of aluminum angle that I've used a few times, and the exacto knife shaves slivers of aluminum off it. Steel would definitely work better.

Good luck, and let us know how things go!
John Thro, NAR #84553 SR
I was too old when I started! Now I'll *never* become a BAR!
Old 02-21-2007, 09:30 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRThro
One problem I have every time I need to cut out fins from balsa stock is keeping the blade straight. So most of the fins I cut out have angled edges to them before I sand them. I'm not sure how to prevent that from happening.

I have the same problem, but usually the angle adds material at the bottom of the cut than at the top. Cut to the outside of the line, and sand it back to square after stacking them.

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 02-22-2007, 08:35 AM
BAR Wannabee

Send a message via MSN to JRThro Send a message via Yahoo to JRThro

Quote:
I have the same problem, but usually the angle adds material at the bottom of the cut than at the top. Cut to the outside of the line, and sand it back to square after stacking them.

Man, I was hoping there was some really simple secret that I hadn't caught onto yet.
John Thro, NAR #84553 SR
I was too old when I started! Now I'll *never* become a BAR!
Old 02-22-2007, 08:59 AM
ReBAR Rocketeer

I got my 18" steel ruler at WalMart, in the school supplies section, and a steel yardstick in the sewing section.

If you don't use the label suggestion, then try applying a layer of masking tape to the back of your balsa before cutting to help prevent splintering/breakage.

Use a piece of heavy cardstock, like the back from a notepad, as a cutting surface. There's no grain for your knife to follow, unlike a wooden cutting surface.

Beware cutting on the kitchen table, unless you have a VERY understanding S.O.!

HTH
Randal
Old 02-22-2007, 10:29 AM
Cosmic American

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShieldWolf
I got my 18" steel ruler at WalMart, in the school supplies section, and a steel yardstick in the sewing section.

Beware cutting on the kitchen table, unless you have a VERY understanding S.O.!

I'll cruise by Wal Mart and hope for the best... that's the only place we actually have in our own town without having to drive at least a half hour, and even then the pickins are slim (Home Depot and Lowes, but still no hobby shops at that distance)!

I do all of my modeling and cutting right here at my computer desk... yes, it's got cuts on it... but that's cool... I've got a tube of Elmer's Wood Filler and a bunch of sandpaper right here! I will indeed use a cutting surface for this though.

Much appreciated folks! The Zooch kits are on their way!
Old 02-22-2007, 11:14 AM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
...I do all of my modeling and cutting right here at my computer desk... yes, it's got cuts on it... but that's cool... I've got a tube of Elmer's Wood Filler and a bunch of sandpaper right here! I will indeed use a cutting surface for this though...

I'm the same way -- working at my computer desk -- but I do protect the work surface. I use disposable kitchen cutting mats that I get from Wal Mart. They come three (or four) to a pack, and are about $3 a pack.

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 02-22-2007, 12:06 PM
Cosmic American

Quote:
I'm the same way -- working at my computer desk

It's pretty much the center of ALL operations! It's one of those angled corner desks and our bed is just to the left of it so my son can sit on the bed right beside me while we work on rockets and watch some space or sci fi movies.

I also make my living doing wedding videos here at the desk, and I keep the learning materials that my son and I work on here... Dr. Suess and other books (just got a level one reader called Rockets and Spaceships!), writing practice paper and word flash cards... we spend a LOT of time here at the desk! We've gotten our sanding mess containment and cleanup routine down pretty good now!