Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Scale & Sport Scale Rocketry
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2017, 12:56 AM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Brohm
Some good photos of the all-natural metal Atlas booster:

http://www.siloworld.net/CONST/Atla...eum/page__3.htm

A bit of scrolling will be in order.

Neet page. I 'd never known there were Atlas silos in north Idaho. I'd known there was a wing in southern Idaho, and a few years ago I was surprised to find out that a silo was only about 15 miles SE of Boise, just off the interstate.

later...

Oh wow, that is a great site. I always thought the site near Boise was Atlas, turns out it was Titan I. Wish there was an Atlas museum like the Titan museum in Tucson.

Last edited by vcp : 06-08-2017 at 02:04 AM.
Old 06-12-2017, 07:06 PM
Saturn 1b nut

beautiful job!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeppel_cpm
Like this. Yes - very thin. I haven't worked with monokote, so I can't compare, but this felt like Mylar with an adhesive back.

I'm working on another couple of Atlases. Not quite as detailed. The 1/100 is coming along.

I'm still thinking about how much of an Atlas GATV I want to make. Just the adapter and upper stage, and fly it with the Estes 2111 booster? Or build a whole new booster? I think I can get the equipment pods replicated by thermoforming. The booster pod skirts will likely have to be cardstock. I'd love to have the vernier motors 3D printed - but don't have the CAD skills. So any 'clone' is going to be substantially less detailed.

I'm going for fun, rather than competition scale, so I'm not really worried. Just pondering how much effort to put in.