Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2007, 11:05 AM
Master Modeler

Default This looks like a cool place

Hi. I'm a 44 year old guy trying to get back into model rocketry. I've been lurking around this site for a little while and looking through the threads. This looks like a cool place to visit. I hope to learn/relearn a lot of stuff around here.

Paul
aka STRMan
Old 12-05-2007, 11:41 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by STRMan
Hi. I'm a 44 year old guy trying to get back into model rocketry. I've been lurking around this site for a little while and looking through the threads. This looks like a cool place to visit. I hope to learn/relearn a lot of stuff around here.

Paul
aka STRMan

Welcome to the forum. If you are looking for information on model rockets this is the place.
Was once SAM#0132
Old 12-05-2007, 02:33 PM
Dazed and Confused

Welcome...

Tell us a little about your early rocketry experiences.
Old 12-05-2007, 05:59 PM
Master Modeler

My friend's older brother was into model rocketry and he recommended I read The Handbook of Model Rocketry. That was all it took. I started building and flying Estes and Centuri models, and I even designed and built a few of my own.

Here are some of the models I built and flew.

Scout
Vulcan
Mini Bomarc
Stilletto
Camroc Carrier
Saturn V
Andromeda

There were many more, but I can't recall them. One was a starter rocket kit that has a chromed plastic nose cone and fin assembly. I don't remember it's name

I designed and built a two engine cluster model that worked quite well, when I could get both engines to ignite, that is!

I even had one of those Estes CO2 powered rocket cars. I remember it had foam wheels. I also remember I once froze the index finger on my hand while launching one.

I actually launched and recovered a raw egg in the Camroc Carrier once. What a nice payload rocket that was.

A few years ago, my daughter built a Razor tube fin model for a school project. She flew it on a B engine at school and got an A grade. I almost got back into rocketry back then, but I didn't have the work space I wanted in my old house.

I was browsing the net, and found myself pining after an Andromeda kit. The vintage ones on eBay seem to go for big bucks. I actually found PDRocketry made a reasonably priced kit. It was in browsing those threads that I found references to this forum and started coming here.

My Brother-in-law flies larger rockets with E, F, and G engines. I think I better stay with the lower powered motors because I just don't have places to fly larger engine rockets in my immediate area.
Old 12-05-2007, 07:05 PM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:
Originally Posted by STRMan
There were many more, but I can't recall them. One was a starter rocket kit that has a chromed plastic nose cone and fin assembly. I don't remember it's name.

That would be the Citation (by Estes) Quasar Starter Set. I've got an all chrome Quasar sitting right in front of me on my computer desk. It was a favorite of mine as a kid.
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 12-05-2007, 08:14 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Send a message via AIM to MSUrocketgurl Send a message via Yahoo to MSUrocketgurl

Welcome to the forum. It is a cool place!

Middle School Launch Challenge - New Rocket Contest w/$1,000 Grand Prize.
PM me for more information

My Website: http://www.freewebs.com/msurocketgurl
Old 12-05-2007, 08:24 PM
Master Modeler

My goodness, you're right! Thanks!

My dad took me to a large parking lot on a Sunday (back when the stores were closed on Sundays). I remember we launched that rocket three times. The first time we used an A engine. I ran after it and brought it back. Then we launched it with a B engine. Once again, I got it and brought it back. On the third launch, I think we used a C engine. I lost site of the rocket and couldn't find it. I never saw the chute.

We packed up our gear and started driving around the parking lot. Sure enough, we found it. The chute failed to deploy and it did a nose dive right onto the parking lot pavement. The nose was destroyed and the tube was folded over.

Did that discourage me? Not on your life. After that I couldn't wait to build a rocket and try launching it again.
Old 12-11-2007, 09:26 AM
BAR

Welcome back, glad you found us here. Parts for cloning the bomarc are available at http://www.balsamachining.com, parts for cloning the scout & stiletto are available from http://www.semroc.com. Do you still have any of your vintage kits?

Beware, the bug can bite pretty hard the 2nd time around!
NAR #87246 www.wooshrocketry.org