Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2015, 08:11 AM
Junior Rocketeer

Default Solar Sailor Upscale

For some reason, <grin>, I'm wanting to build an upscaled version of the original Solar Sailor #1297 I had in my youth. I wanted to go with a 38mm motor tube and add on an ebay, but then figured it would be somewhere around 5-6 ft long and had concerns about whether the engine would have enough ejection charge to blow out the chute and an ebay.

Has anyone done an upscale of this particular model? I did a search here but didn't find any hits. I'd like to hear about your experiences. It's been an interesting exercise in trying to determine the final lengths and diameters using old plans not to scale and eyeballing pictures. It would help to get my hands on the original kit, but I'm not a collector and e-bay prices are nuts. If you have a spare kit you'd like to sell, let me know. Or if you have the kit and could remind me how long the top and bottom BT-50 tubes are.

Thanks!

Robert
BAR
ROSCO
NAR #95556 SR L1
Old 10-04-2015, 09:27 AM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Haven't done an upscale, but digging around when I cloned a Solar Sailer a couple of years ago turned up 6.5 in for the aft tube and 18 in for the forward tube. This sounds like a cool build!
Old 10-04-2015, 10:17 AM
NAR 85414; NARTREK Silver

My Flight Statistics for the Past Year
  • Number of Flights: 31
  • Total Impulse
    - Total: 710.01 Ns (11% J)
    - Average: 22.90 Ns (15% E)
  • Altitude
    - Total: 4,232 Feet
    - Average: 1,058 Feet
Old 10-04-2015, 10:37 PM
Craftsman

Default Solar Sailer Upscaling

If you upscale the *original* 1297 model, you will end up with an overly lanky 'dork-finned' looking deal. Especially at anything at BT60 and over.

Now, the later version Solar Sailer II, it may be shorter than the 1297, but it looks WAY better proportionally. For instance, a BT-60 version of this looks great, and in fact, you can use a PT roll for the 'base section', and two full rolls for the upper, with a BT55 in between.

Flew one made this way back in early 90s. Great on E15s, and then I flew it on a G42 (remember those, olde timers??). Got it back too.

Neat thing is, Estes has the correct upscaled cones for this in both BT60 and BT80.

Other thing, guess what my original Tripoli confirmation rocket was?? You guessed it, the BT80 version!! Made with *real* BT80s, it flew high and landed safely on an H55. Drilled the delay, too, which was 'sorta' against the 'r00lz' way back then
Old 10-05-2015, 09:50 AM
Junior Rocketeer

awesome tube resource. TY!
Old 10-05-2015, 09:55 AM
Junior Rocketeer

Default Tube lengths

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madison Alum
Haven't done an upscale, but digging around when I cloned a Solar Sailer a couple of years ago turned up 6.5 in for the aft tube and 18 in for the forward tube. This sounds like a cool build!

Thanks! I have a soft spot for the model, how ever it turns out. In any case, will post a pic when its finished.
Old 10-05-2015, 10:24 AM
Junior Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstronMike
If you upscale the *original* 1297 model, you will end up with an overly lanky 'dork-finned' looking deal. Especially at anything at BT60 and over.

Now, the later version Solar Sailer II, it may be shorter than the 1297, but it looks WAY better proportionally. For instance, a BT-60 version of this looks great, and in fact, you can use a PT roll for the 'base section', and two full rolls for the upper, with a BT55 in between.

Flew one made this way back in early 90s. Great on E15s, and then I flew it on a G42 (remember those, olde timers??). Got it back too.

Neat thing is, Estes has the correct upscaled cones for this in both BT60 and BT80.

Other thing, guess what my original Tripoli confirmation rocket was?? You guessed it, the BT80 version!! Made with *real* BT80s, it flew high and landed safely on an H55. Drilled the delay, too, which was 'sorta' against the 'r00lz' way back then

Yeah, I saw the SSII model, but never built it. Might have to find a kit and try it. Going to attempt this upscale anyway, since I like the decal scheme on it better than the II. Might adjust the upper tube to see if it will help the appearance and look at different fin sizes.
Old 10-05-2015, 11:02 AM
Old BAR

Hawks Hobbies did a really nice upscale, one of which I built and have flown several times. It's Achilles heel is the long body tube which is a bit prone to kinking. It flies on 24mm motors, nicely with E20's.

Let me know if you need dimensions.

Allen
Old 10-05-2015, 12:19 PM
Dazed and Confused

The mylar chute is what made the origina SS unique. It isn't hard to make a mylar chute, but you will have to choose silver or red unless you can figure out a way to print on the mylar. For those of you who aren't into home made chutes or parachute duration events, you can cut up survival blankets for larger ones and mylar balloons for small ones.