Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2016, 07:38 PM
Old Submariner

Default Quest back on Line?

I successfully placed a web order with Quest Aerospace.

Let's see what happens.

4 out of 3 people struggle with math.

Chemically, alcohol IS a solution.

NAR# 94042
SAM# 0078
Old 08-10-2016, 08:51 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Ahh yes the company that is famous for OVER-promising and UNDER-delivering...see the past announcements of 18mm D engines and especially the announcement years ago of 'coming-soon' 29mm SU BP Thunderjet motors...what a joke.
Why do I continue to bash ? Because they DESERVE IT !
They never offered a legitimate definitive explanation of what happened to these even though they apparently were produced in massive quantities. If they did not want to bother getting them NAR certified, sell 'em off as FIREWORKS. We would KNOW what to do with them.

ALWAYS, ALWAYS UNDER-promise and OVER-deliver. NEVER announce any product as "coming soon' if there is ANY chance it will not be released to the market. ALL it ever does is make you look BAD and IRRITATE/PI$$-OFF your customer base.

Estes did it correctly. VERY SHORTLY after their 29mm BP E and F motors were announced, they hit the shelves in unlimited quantities and they are made HERE in the USA.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !

Last edited by ghrocketman : 08-11-2016 at 03:30 AM.
Old 08-10-2016, 09:51 PM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

The last two orders I placed were refused.
Old 08-10-2016, 10:29 PM
BAR

Agree with you GH. I remember the hoopla around the announcement that FSI was returning, but I have YET to see anything like that, years later.

I've gotten jaded in my old age-- I don't believe ANY of the "press announcements" about coming soon. I really could care less, because I don't believe any of it until I see PRODUCT ON THE SHELVES (or ready to order).

I think it's rather sad that Quest sold out, especially to ErrorTech. Of course when I heard Nettie wasn't with the company any more (had been let go IIRC) I didn't hold a lot of hope for Quest continuing as it had anyway. It'd be like if Estes fired Mary Roberts... At any rate, Aerotech is a high power company, now run by the founder's son (IIRC) since he's moved on to tinkering with lasers and jet-hitch Rube Goldberg stuff, and the whole attitude of the management seems rather lackadaisical to me, at least from what I've seen and heard and read. It's therefore not particularly surprising that they don't seem to know what to do nor do they particularly seem to care about their new model rocket company acquisition (Quest). It's sad because anybody that's been involved in a model rocketry company knows well that success doesn't just "happen"; it requires a LOT of vigilance and hard work, sometimes with minimal gains in the short term and a moderate long term payoff. I don't see them being successful long term with ownership content to "phone it in".

Hopefully they're serious about being a successful model rocket company, and will bring in someone with the drive and determination and good sense to be successful, or the new management will 'bring it' and get their act together. I certainly hope so because the more successful companies we have, the better.

SO, word of advice-- do as GH says-- UNDER promise and OVER deliver-- save the energy wasted on "pressers" and big hoopla announcements and invest that energy and resources into bringing new and innovative products TO MARKET-- deliver new and innovative stuff and the "hoopla" will take care of itself.

Later! OL J R
Old 08-11-2016, 03:28 AM

Agreed, JR.
Deliver GOOD stuff and it markets itself.
You don't see many ads for Ferraris or Rolls Royces do you ?
There is a reason for that even though the market is small...the products are so good, they need little if any 'real' marketing. The last I checked, there is a TWO YEAR waiting list to puchase a new Ferrari of ANY model. I happen to have an acquaintence that bought a new Ferrari last year and was HAPPY to drop the $500K ! I doubt ANY advertising influenced the decision.
I only own ONE real 'luxury' item...an 18K Gold Rolex Datejust watch...advertising would not have influenced my decision to purchase it whatsoever...reputation alone was good enough.
I joke with my buddies that "I got a watch for my wife...and it was the best TRADE I ever made !"...lol...I actually bought it as a DIVORCE present to myself 6 years ago...my girlfriend of 5 years still thinks that joke is hilarious.

Old 08-11-2016, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke strawwalker
SO, word of advice-- do as GH says-- UNDER promise and OVER deliver-- save the energy wasted on "pressers" and big hoopla announcements and invest that energy and resources into bringing new and innovative products TO MARKET-- deliver new and innovative stuff and the "hoopla" will take care of itself.
How about starting with a small inventory and consistent production of the products you do have? They have over a dozen employees. They ought to be able to something besides just in time production, at least on the most popular products.
Old 08-11-2016, 12:26 PM

I think the liklihood of FSI returning, especially the big BP SU core-burners, is pure vapor-ware from what I have seen. A LOT of hoopla and ZERO new product.
Actually that one I don't find that irritating. Announcing that one is trying to re-launch a former COMPANY is far more complex than an existing entity saying a new 'product' is coming.
I expect 'hiccups', 'temporary stalls', and even 'failure' if one is trying to re-launch a COMPANY and also would expect announcements of such efforts far in advance of those coming to reality.
That is NOT the same as a well-established company announcing a new product as "Coming Soon", allowing select individuals 'test samples', going into limited production, showing physical examples at trade shows, then PULLING THE RUG with no legitimate explanation EVER. I find the debacle over the 18mm D and the later 29mm Thunderjets probably the worst to occur in the industry in my opinion. While I found the late 70's/early 80's debacles at company "E" over the Cylon Raider and Black Hole Cygnus Probe Ship (I REALLY wanted one of those) as highly irritating, at least they learned from those experiences and have been far more careful about announcing new products.
That is something Q should have learned for free. NEVER announce/catalog/show something as coming to market that has ANY chance of not making it short of a company going out of business.
I for one LIKE Aerotech and the way they do business and doubt the Q-line will have any future announcements like those of the past. I can't recall Aerotech announcing any products that don't actually get into production and customer hands.

Old 08-11-2016, 03:38 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Does anyone know what stalled out on the FSI comeback? Is it still in the works or did the whole thing fall apart?

Best regards,
Brian
Old 08-11-2016, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRS Hobbies
Does anyone know what stalled out on the FSI comeback? Is it still in the works or did the whole thing fall apart?
APCP is exempt. BP is not. BP is highly skill and weather based, APCP is not.

Their Facebook page says they will have the old kits "soon".

I have my 1980-90 kits NOW.

http://v-serv.com/usr/instaship-visual.htm

FSI did not fall apart. They are zealots.

Jerry
Old 08-11-2016, 05:14 PM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRS Hobbies

Best regards,
Brian

From what I've heard they were at NARAM and selling a few kits. From what I can see it is a shoestring operation and I very much doubt we'll see motors soon, and if we do, they will probably be APCP and not the black powder end- or port- burners we miss.