Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2011, 10:13 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

The 5sec burn of the E6 and the 9-sec burn of the F7 was great, but due to the low overall thrust, they assured usage in a light rocket that was an almost guaranteed loss. The F7 was too heavy to cluster as well.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 09-30-2011, 12:13 PM
Master Modeler

Lonnie Reese was a very active model rocketeer who went to NARAM and such. I remember a photo of him dressed up like Robert Goddard, igniting a replica of Goddard's first liquid fuel rocket.

Yes, he died in some sort of automotive accident in '84. I think this took a lot of the wind out of FSI's sails for many years.

Harold was Lonnie's father. He was a very old guy (and a chain smoker!) when I met him at the FSI plant in 1990. (Smoking and making BP motors seems like a bad combination . . . but I don't think that was what did him in!) I don't know exactly when he passed away, but it was probably the beginning of the end for the company.
Old 09-30-2011, 09:04 PM
Forest Sprite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
The awful E6x motors were sometimes below 20 nsec and barely equal in total impulse to the Estes D12. Think of the E6 as a REALLY WEAK version of the weak-thrusting Estes E9.
A motor that thrusts for 5 seconds at a steady level of 6 Newtons is an E-class glider motor. Too bad FSI never released a glider kit.

AeroTech makes an E6 reload for its 24mm reloadable RC glider motor case. Apogee sells an E6 as well, which might just be the same item but repackaged by AT for Tim, who then sells it as a single use rocket motor. Apogee's Medalist Motors are made by AeroTech.

In spite of its mass and heft (which must have been substantial, I assume), could the F7 have been useful in rocket gliders as well?
Mark S. Kulka NAR #86134 L1,_ASTRE #471_Adirondack Mountains, NY
Opinions Unfettered by Logic • Advice Unsullied by Erudition • Rocketry Without Pity
+09281962-TAK-08272007+
SAM # 0011
Old 09-30-2011, 09:13 PM
Forest Sprite

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanj
Lonnie Reese was a very active model rocketeer who went to NARAM and such. I remember a photo of him dressed up like Robert Goddard, igniting a replica of Goddard's first liquid fuel rocket.

Yes, he died in some sort of automotive accident in '84. I think this took a lot of the wind out of FSI's sails for many years.

Harold was Lonnie's father. He was a very old guy (and a chain smoker!) when I met him at the FSI plant in 1990. (Smoking and making BP motors seems like a bad combination . . . but I don't think that was what did him in!) I don't know exactly when he passed away, but it was probably the beginning of the end for the company.
Were any other Reese family members involved in running the company? I dimly recall reading something about another Reese, brother of Lonnie, who also worked for FSI.

FSI's motor-making machines (their "Mabels") were used to turn out motors for Quest, right? Quest Aerospace went into business in 1992, so its earliest years and FSI's last years overlapped.
Opinions Unfettered by Logic • Advice Unsullied by Erudition • Rocketry Without Pity
+09281962-TAK-08272007+
SAM # 0011
Old 09-30-2011, 10:35 PM
Master Blaster

Default FSI Motors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark II
Were any other Reese family members involved in running the company? I dimly recall reading something about another Reese, brother of Lonnie, who also worked for FSI.

FSI's motor-making machines (their "Mabels") were used to turn out motors for Quest, right? Quest Aerospace went into business in 1992, so its earliest years and FSI's last years overlapped.

Mark, I believe that there was also a Larry Reese in the FSI company.
I Don't know for sure; but the current Quest Motors are made in Germany, and look to be the same motors that were that MRC was using back in the 90's. as for the early Quest motors if they where made by any one in the US for Quest I would have to say they where made by Estes. but you could be right because the FSI 18mm motors were made on the old MPC
motor making machine and Quest was using old MPC designs and parts when they started out, so maybe there was some kind of deal with FSI and the MPC Motor making Machine.

Neal
Old 09-30-2011, 11:01 PM
Master Modeler

The early Quest motors, and the FSI 18mm motors, were clearly MPC-style motors.
Old 10-01-2011, 01:36 AM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
I thought it was Lonnie Reese who passed away. Something having to do with a motorcycle accident?

I want to see that catalog!

You are correct. Old Harold soldiered on for a few years after Lonnie's death, until he himself died. I was told that Harold had no hearing left after a number of tamping catoes. I don't know the configuration of his press, but apparently things could go wrong with little chance of injury to anything except the ears.
Old 10-01-2011, 01:57 PM
Too Many Initiators is Never Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Miller
Mark, I believe that there was also a Larry Reese in the FSI company.
I Don't know for sure; but the current Quest Motors are made in Germany, and look to be the same motors that were that MRC was using back in the 90's. as for the early Quest motors if they where made by any one in the US for Quest I would have to say they where made by Estes. but you could be right because the FSI 18mm motors were made on the old MPC
motor making machine and Quest was using old MPC designs and parts when they started out, so maybe there was some kind of deal with FSI and the MPC Motor making Machine.

Neal

In the late 1980's, G. Harry and Bill Stine were looking for the MPC motor making machines.

The machines were found but FSI beat the Stines' by a week and bought them first.

FSI only had the machines (In poor condition). G. Harry/Bill had the machine drawings and operations manuals. A deal was reached where Bill would go to FSI and get the machines running and in return FSI would make motors for Bill's company (Later known as Quest).

After this, FSI began making 18mm diameter motors.

I spoke to Harold Reese in the early 90s and he told me the MPC motor machines only had to be operated for one month to make all the 18mm motors FSI would sell in a year.

BTW, there was never any agreement for Estes to make motors for Quest (But Bill may have asked).
Old 10-02-2011, 06:21 PM
Forest Sprite

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanj
The early Quest motors, and the FSI 18mm motors, were clearly MPC-style motors.
I don't know what you mean by that. What distinguishes "MPC-style" motors? I have never seen them, either.
+09281962-TAK-08272007+
SAM # 0011
Old 10-02-2011, 06:30 PM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
I don't know what you mean by that. What distinguishes "MPC-style" motors? I have never seen them, either.

slightly smaller inside diameter; smooth white nozzle with a rounded exit.