Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2007, 09:42 AM
Old School Rocketeer

Default PDR re-issue of Estes #1343 Starfighter Combo kit

Got home last night to the lovely sight of a USPS tube sticking out of my mailbox. My toys from PDR have arrived, the re-issues of the #1343 Starfighter Combo (http://www.dars.org/jimz/est1343.htm) and #1375 Scorpius (http://www.oldrocketplans.com/estes...75/est1375.htm).

I couldn't wait to get started, so I tore into the easiest looking build first, the Torellian Invader. A bit more of a challenge than the original kit, as you have to cut all your own lumber. I was surprised to find that the TI's fins were all 1/16" balsa. Overall kit quality was decent, except the custom-molded PNC-50CA is going to need a bit of FnF to smooth out and equalize with the body tube diameter.

I was able to get her fully assembled in just under three hours. Neat looking spruce-up on a tube fin design. I'm having some issues with my camera, so I lost all the pictures I took during the build. I'll get a couple of shots of the completed build tonight.

One quick question on the decals. I was under the impression that the original decals were mostly silver instead of the gray provided. Anyone have an original to check against?

Thanks,
EV
Old 02-21-2007, 09:51 PM
Old School Rocketeer

As promised...........pictures!

Overall;

Close-up of paper cockpit area;

Business end;

Later,
EV
Old 02-21-2007, 10:04 PM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoVictor

One quick question on the decals. I was under the impression that the original decals were mostly silver instead of the gray provided. Anyone have an original to check against?

Thanks,
EV

Yes, silvery.

I built a bunch of 'em for Mary Roberts and her Built-Up program. They were my favorites of all the Built-Up rockets.

At NARAM a couple of years ago I bought a set at the NAR auction. Vern and Gleda were sitting behind me and wanted to look at them. They acted like they'd never seen them. Possible as it was around the time Vern was still pictured in the catalog but probably didn't have much at all to do at the company.
Old 03-02-2007, 09:03 PM
Craftsman

I have this kit also. After looking at your pics, EV, I'm a bit nervous about prepping for a nice finish. Getting a nice paint job between those tube fins looks like a headache. Would anyone have any suggestions for tackling the finish on this?