Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2017, 06:22 PM
Surfrajettes Fan

Default Hidden Figures

Comrades:

I took the kids and SWMBO to the show this afternoon to see Hidden Figures. It was an excellent movie and good for children. For those of you unaware, the movie is based upon a book of the same name telling the story of African-American women with high math aptitude (well into the gifted catagory) who worked at Langley Space Center during Project Mercury as essentially, human computers. It is a story of race in America in 1961. There are some uncomfortable, racial-based moments in the movie, but the kids asked good questions afterwards, so entertaining and educational.

The story played a little loose with the time lines from Gagarin to Glenn for dramatic effect. The computer effects, especially the Russian rockets, were great and the historical footage was well done as well. Any factual deviation I was aware of didn't distract from the movie or the story. Jim Parsons and Kevin Costner were great in support as were Taraji P. Henson, Octavia Spencer and Janelle Monae in the lead rolls.

It joins the list of great space movies we've had over the last several years: Apollo 13, Gravity, Interstellar and The Martian.

Two Thumbs Up/ 5 stars. Recommended for the whole family.

Awaiting First Launch: Too numerous to count
Finishing: Zooch Saturn V; Alway/Nau BioArcas; Estes Expedition; TLP Standard
Repair/Rescue: Cherokee-D (2); Centuri Nike-Smoke; MX-774
On the Bench: 2650;
Dream Stage: 1/39.37 R-7

Last edited by MarkB. : 02-20-2017 at 10:45 PM.
Old 02-20-2017, 06:42 PM
Craftsman

Agreed, excellent movie..our Grandson watched it and now wants to study Aerospace Engineering.
Old 02-20-2017, 08:29 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Also agree, and the book is also an excellent read.
Old 02-20-2017, 08:36 PM
Mr. Cut-by-hand

Just saw it this weekend and agree totally. I'm hoping to see it with my daughter at some point. The amazing thing is that it took so long for this story to come out.

Also, I'm a sucker for anything covering the 60's space program. It's so dramatic no matter how many times you see it portrayed.
Old 02-21-2017, 01:04 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil_w
Just saw it this weekend and agree totally. I'm hoping to see it with my daughter at some point. The amazing thing is that it took so long for this story to come out.

Also, I'm a sucker for anything covering the 60's space program. It's so dramatic no matter how many times you see it portrayed.
Heartily agreed! Wernher von Braun also didn't make himself popular with Alabama Governor George Wallace (this was before he had his change of heart regarding race), encouraging the NASA Marshall Space Flight Center that he headed to hire talented black engineers and technicians for the Saturn program, in disregard of their race.
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR
Old 02-21-2017, 08:53 AM
BAR

The special FX showing the R-7 launch was good, except for ONE small detail they got wrong...

Anybody know what it was?? I'll reveal the answer in a later post once you guys have had a chance to think about it and chime in...

I thought the movie was very good. I took my mom to see it at the Cole Theater in Hallettsville a few weeks ago. We both really enjoyed it. Loved the old cars and the early 60's furnishings and furniture and stuff. As someone else said, I'm always a sucker for the early space program...

Later! OL J R
Old 02-21-2017, 08:51 PM
Junior Rocketeer

I'll take a guess that there was too much exhaust smoke from the rocket
Old 02-21-2017, 10:04 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skp
I'll take a guess that there was too much exhaust smoke from the rocket

No... not as I recall... IIRC the CGI smoke was a little heavy, more like SRB smoke than kerosene rocket engine smoke, which is virtually clear once the rocket is underway when the rocket engines are hot and running right... BUT, that is NOT the goof they made...

I'll see if anybody else chimes in tomorrow and then tell yall where they totally goofed...

Later! OL J R
Old 02-22-2017, 01:52 PM
Master Modeler

I haven't seen the movie so I can't say what was wrong.
I'll take a guess and say it was a newer version of the R7 or the wrong color, just a guess!

A few other movies weren't mentioned like 'The Right Stuff' and 'Marooned'. I'll bet there is more, I just can't think of them now.
Old 02-22-2017, 04:11 PM
BAR

It was at staging of the R-7 when the four boosters fall away... In the movie, they show them detaching at the front and pivoting back and away, and then the rear of the boosters separating and all four boosters falling away pointing with their noses away from each other and the central core booster. This is incorrect.

The R-7 boosters are indeed attached by struts at the back to maintain their alignment with the core booster, but the front attachment is a "slipper", a sort of "ball and socket" arrangement that transfers the thrust from the boosters into the core vehicle at its "waist"... When the R-7's boosters jettison, the rear struts are severed while the engines are still thrusting... this causes them to pivot up and away from the core booster, with the front end ball and socket connection of the "slipper" providing the pivot point. Thrust is terminated and the booster then slips free of the core as the slipper slides out of the socket, and the boosters fall behind the still thrusting core into a tumble.

This unusual staging method leads to the famed "Korolev cross" visible from the ground when the boosters stage off the main vehicle... a "+" shaped pattern in the smoke trail of the rocket caused by the tail-off thrust of the boosters venting essentially "sideways" to the direction of flight immediately before the boosters disengage and tumble away.

https://youtu.be/Uf1Wu1BT5jo

Later! OL J R