Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2013, 04:04 AM
Seagulls Beware...

Cool Build Report: Estes Magnum (mod)

One of my many favorites is the Estes Magnum (Kit 1422)

Big, 2 stages, even multiple of 3 fins, powerful, and a payloader... What else need I say?

Well, actually a lot. I've built 3 over the years, but had mixed results (good launches, then disaster, disaster, another build and the fins got heavily damaged on landing). I don't know why I'm drawn to this one based on my history, but I am.

I modified my first Magnum by using creating a new set of fins for the upper stage (I don't like that gap between the booster and the upper stage). It survived a couple of 2 stage launches before it went and lawn darted when the upper stage didn't ignite.

The second one's booster exploded on the pad (first and only launch), igniting the upper stage, but knocking it's motor mount loose (and knocking me on my butt, as I was only 4' away due to losing my launcher/controller). The flight was reminiscent of one of those shipboard launches of a cruise missile, pointed up, but flying at an odd angle... Then the delay charge kicked in, and the rocket fell to the ground before the ejection charge could fire. I had to yell at my roommate's kid to stop as he ran to try and recover it for me. I still have the remains, and use it to mask shoulders of BT-60 nose cones when painting. I didn't get a replacement from Estes, as I didn't know how back then (I still have the remains of the engine that catoed too).

The third managed to get launched once, but the fins were badly damaged on landing. I'm now interested in taking it on again.

This time:
Fins will remain modified (However, I will use through the wall and papered construction techniques)
Upper stage will be "E" compatible
Booster will use Semroc's vented centering rings
Clear payload section will be lengthened*
Balsa nose block instead of factory issue plastic
Rocket will be primed before painting
and it will get a 1/2 Moon Baffle

*I don't have a plastic noseblock to use, so I'm lengthening the payload section to make up for the loss in length caused by using a balsa nose block.

Plans

Decals will be originals... I found two sets in my decal stash. I also have some from Gord should they fail.

All I need now is the Vagabond that I'll be cannibalizing for this and the Cougar upscale build. I have one on order with Tammie's Hobbies (my LHS).

Wish me luck
Jim

Dreaming of making the rockets I dreamed of as a kid (and then some).

"The Guide says there is an art to flying", said Ford, "or rather a knack."
"The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

Launching is Optional... Landing? That Depends on Trees.

Last edited by K'Tesh : 06-29-2013 at 01:42 AM.
Old 08-13-2013, 06:11 PM
Seagulls Beware...

Unhappy Some photos of the damaged Magnum...

I finally took pictures of the damaged Magnum... They're uploaded to my flickr photostream.

This Motor:

Did this

Old 08-13-2013, 06:11 PM
Seagulls Beware...

Unhappy

To this rocket.

The sustainer has been re-purposed into a large paint wand of sorts, but now I'm thinking about cutting away the damaged fin can, and trying to reuse the remaining tube.

I find it amazing to me, how memory is so kind to my old rockets. I could have swore that this rocket had all of it's fins sealed and the grain smoothed out. In all honesty, it did have good fillets, and wasn't finished when it was launched.

Old 08-13-2013, 07:09 PM
Seagulls Beware...

Default On with the new...

The new Magnum has been started. The clear payload section was cut from a fluorescent light tube guard, and is 1/2 inches longer than Estes' stock BT-60 payloads. This was to accommodate the balsa nose block not having the ridge that the original plastic part had.

Both the booster, and sustainer have their mounts glued in (this is old enough to still be using white glue, rather than epoxy).

The booster's tube coupler was "painted" with a Sharpie silver pen to hide the red of the original part, but not noticeably thicken it, or make it too sticky for it to allow for separation.

The old payload section is still serviceable, but then again, I have multiple payload rockets and many of them don't have nosecones, or nose blocks.

Now, if I can only get enough uninterrupted time to cut, paper, and attach fins (then prime, paint and finish).

Old 08-14-2013, 09:52 AM
Flying since 1977

I have only seen one other split D12 casing like that, but the one I saw was a 1980 vintage D21-7 that had split in storage when I checked it shortly I left the Air Force in 1993. I promptly soaked that one to dispose of it properly. I never had any additional problems with any other D12s made in 1980.

Mike Toelle

NAR 31692 L1

SAM 0373
Old 08-14-2013, 11:20 AM
Seagulls Beware...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwtoelle
I have only seen one other split D12 casing like that, but the one I saw was a 1980 vintage D21-7 that had split in storage when I checked it shortly I left the Air Force in 1993. I promptly soaked that one to dispose of it properly. I never had any additional problems with any other D12s made in 1980.

I've had three explode on me in the early 1990's (this one included). I don't know what caused it, but two of them simply blew out the nozzle, and this one just split. I'm sure that I still have the others, but where???