Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Semroc > SVDT - Semroc Virtual Design Team
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2008, 10:51 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

The B8 and C5 series were decent motors in that they could lift a good bit more than the run of the mill B6 or C6 motors, but they were no B14/original B3.
I have quite a few B8, C5 and B14 motors in my stash and still fly a few of them each year.
Needless to say I fly on my own private land and am not the least concerned whether their "certification" has lapsed.

Probably at least 25-30% of the BP SU motors I regularly fly have been de-certed....never had a CATO either with any of them except the following:
Estes C5-3's from the "bad" lot before I knew it was bad
Estes E15-x, about 30% CATO rate for everything but the E15-P, which has NEVER CATOed for me to this day & I still fly the "P" variety, but nothing else.
FSI E60-x; over 75% CATOs
FSI F100-x; at least 30% CATOs

The majority of the B14's I have are of the B14-0 variety.
I am down to around only 3-4 packs of B14-5's and 7's.
I think I only have 2-3 loose B14-6's left

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 01-31-2008, 12:40 PM
Master Modeler

As we can all see, the thread "Motor matters" has generated a lot of discussion.

When the estes forum was up and running, we also discussed motors there. From the input that we received on the forum, I passed this information along to Barry and Joe Sieberlich, their engine production manager, also, Mike Dorffler got involved.

The type of motors were discussed, and, the B14 was shot down immediately. Also requested was the C5-3, mini boosters and lower power boosters. Right now, you can purchase an educators bulk b pack that included the B6-0, but, Estes is way too stubborn to put those in three packs for whatever reason.

I was told that a lot of motors were dropped because of the units sold didn't make it worth them to produce them anymore.

Estes deals in voulume and $$$, if it's not bringing in the bucks, it's dropped.

Also discussed was bulk packs of "D" motors being sold in walMart, which, Estes will not do either.

As I have mentioned previously under "Motor matters" we need competiton, Estes is the "bully" on the block, they know they don't have competition form anyone (Quest is not a threat as far as motors go) and they feel, if your going to fly rockets, you have to buy your motors from us.

The prices have jumped up again, way, way too high in my opinion.

Last edited by Ltvscout : 01-31-2008 at 02:43 PM.
Old 06-21-2008, 09:46 AM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Carl,

I was looking at the Estes '61 catalog. What can you tell me about the B.16-x motors they made then?

http://www.ninfinger.org/%7Esven/ro...61/261est10.jpg

P.S. - I posted here to also see how things are coming along on the motor making front.
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 06-21-2008, 11:29 AM
Junior ??? Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltvscout
Carl,

I was looking at the Estes '61 catalog. What can you tell me about the B.16-x motors they made then?

http://www.ninfinger.org/%7Esven/ro...61/261est10.jpg

P.S. - I posted here to also see how things are coming along on the motor making front.
They were the core burners using Mabel I. They had the .406" ID casing and a long, drilled port. They were stated to be a 16 lb average thrust as opposed to the .8 lb of the end burner. This would have made them D impulse by todays standards!

It was difficult using early static test stands to test a core burner that created not much more than a spike. They were later designated B3-x (pre-metric) which signified 3 lbs of average thrust. After the change to metric (thrust in newtons, etc.) and the change to Mabel II with .5" ID, they were replaced by the B14-x (which was about 3 lbs average thrust also.)

We are still working with the various governmental agencies AND trying to keep everything else spinning!
NAR#4717 L2
semroc.com
Old 06-21-2008, 11:50 AM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Thanks for the info on the B.16.
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558