Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Semroc > SVDT - Semroc Virtual Design Team
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2007, 10:02 PM
The_Ripper

Bob,

It really was a good flight. It's a very stable design and flew straight as an arrow. As soon as I get my cable I'll post the flight data here.

I tried Circuit City and CompUSA today neither one had that cable. Best Buys is a little further away so I skipped Best Buys. I bought the cable from an online company called TigerDirect.com and they had it for $12.99

The guys at the computer stores were looking at me like I was from Mars wanting a cable to connect to a serial device. When they asked me what it was for and I told them I used it for a flight controller / altimeter in my rockets I got even stranger looks.

The EnerJet hat has now become part of my usual launch apparel .....

SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates
Old 10-01-2007, 11:07 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Ok now....
Fess up !
WHERE can one buy an Enerjet hat or three ?
Enerjet fans WANT to know !
The only other one I have seen was being worn by LP himself.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 10-02-2007, 06:36 PM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
Ok now....
Fess up !
WHERE can one buy an Enerjet hat or three ?
Enerjet fans WANT to know !
The only other one I have seen was being worn by LP himself.

The EnerJet hat was a "Limited Edition". A good friend of mine had these made and some were given out at NARAM-48 and that's how Lee Piester acquired his. Only a small production run of them were ever made and they were not for sale.
SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
Old 03-04-2008, 06:12 PM
The_Ripper

Default SLS Magnum-D Hornet

SLS Magnum-D Hornet

Upscale based on 5341 Centuri Magnum-D Hornet available from 1980-1983. I based this upscale on BTH-70 tubing also used in the Semroc SLS ARCAS kit. I had purchased an extra nose cone, centering rings and a couple of cut lengths of BTH-70 after I purchased the SLS ARCAS kit so I actually have most of the parts on hand.

Length: 32.9"
Diameter: 2.25" (BTH-70)
Fin Span: 9.89"
Weight: 7.44 oz

One RockSim file has the standard 29mm mount and the other file has the 24mm EM-9115 adapter installed. It's light enough to fly off a standard 36" launch rod with either a D12 or E9 black powder engine and simmed well on many E through G reloads. It shares basswood fins with other SLS type kits and fins mount through the wall to the engine mount. TTW fin tabs can be shortened some but I was looking at the worse case scenario with weight and EM-9115 installed for stability.

The decal in RockSim did not render well {and of course I could not force RockSim to make three of the fins yellow} but you get the basic idea from the 3D image. I would most likely have either Excelsior make an upscale water-slide or use Dave again with Graphix & Stuff for a self adhesive vinyl version.

My plans are to build it so it's in the queue .....

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  SLS Magnum D Hornet.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  252.3 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  SLS Magnum D Hornet EM-9115.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  255.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  SLS Magnum D Hornet 3D Image Export.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  20.4 KB  
Attached Files
File Type: rkt SLS Magnum D Hornet.rkt (89.6 KB, 14 views)
File Type: rkt SLS Magnum D Hornet EM-9115.rkt (77.8 KB, 14 views)
SAM# 0052

Old 03-05-2008, 09:59 PM
Rocket buildin' machine

OK, I just have to float the idea, even though probably only a few dozen of us would bite and buy one--how 'bout an SLS Golden Scout to follow on the great 50th anniversary commemorative model? Heck, I'll bet Gleda could wrap the tubing on that one!
Old 03-05-2008, 11:08 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaquin
...of course I could not force RockSim to make three of the fins yellow...

Sure you can...

Edit the setting for the fin count to "1", then duplicate the fin three more times, changing the radial angle by 90 degrees for each fin. Set the color for three of them to yellow and the last one to black.

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 03-05-2008, 11:34 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaquin
SLS Magnum-D Hornet

Upscale based on 5341 Centuri Magnum-D Hornet available from 1980-1983. I based this upscale on BTH-70 tubing also used in the Semroc SLS ARCAS kit. I had purchased an extra nose cone, centering rings and a couple of cut lengths of BTH-70 after I purchased the SLS ARCAS kit so I actually have most of the parts on hand.

Length: 32.9"
Diameter: 2.25" (BTH-70)
Fin Span: 9.89"
Weight: 7.44 oz

One RockSim file has the standard 29mm mount and the other file has the 24mm EM-9115 adapter installed. It's light enough to fly off a standard 36" launch rod with either a D12 or E9 black powder engine and simmed well on many E through G reloads. It shares basswood fins with other SLS type kits and fins mount through the wall to the engine mount. TTW fin tabs can be shortened some but I was looking at the worse case scenario with weight and EM-9115 installed for stability.

The decal in RockSim did not render well {and of course I could not force RockSim to make three of the fins yellow} but you get the basic idea from the 3D image. I would most likely have either Excelsior make an upscale water-slide or use Dave again with Graphix & Stuff for a self adhesive vinyl version.

My plans are to build it so it's in the queue .....

While not a true SLS-esque project, I do have an old Hornet project that I recently resurrected. In 2001, my brother in law did an upscale of Der Big Red Max based on an L.O.C. Lil Nuke. Ever since then I wanted to try something similar. That Christmas he bought me a Lil Nuke kit and I got started on what I called the Hemi Hornet. Not knowing a lot about what I was doing, I used a cheap 60 second epoxy to attach the fins and they came out wobbly. I got mad, stuffed the project under the rocket shelf, and forgot about it. I dragged it out and dusted it off last weekend. The fins look like the teeth you see on people buying scratch off lottery tickets, so I ripped them off and I'm going to start again. The decal was printed a long time ago and I don't know where it got to, so I guess that's going to have to be re-done also. Pics at this point are out of the question, but once it gets off life support I'll try to take a few.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 03-06-2008, 07:29 AM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanstevens
OK, I just have to float the idea, even though probably only a few dozen of us would bite and buy one--how 'bout an SLS Golden Scout to follow on the great 50th anniversary commemorative model? Heck, I'll bet Gleda could wrap the tubing on that one!

And it needs to use tumble recovery!
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 03-06-2008, 05:48 PM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPMcGraw
Sure you can...

Edit the setting for the fin count to "1", then duplicate the fin three more times, changing the radial angle by 90 degrees for each fin. Set the color for three of them to yellow and the last one to black.

Thanks Craig!

I never thought of applying the fins in the design in that manner. I'll have to use that method next time I need to render different colors in the same fin set. The texture screen {origin, position, scale} is what usually give me fits ..... it never does what I expect it to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
While not a true SLS-esque project, I do have an old Hornet project that I recently resurrected. In 2001, my brother in law did an upscale of Der Big Red Max based on an L.O.C. Lil Nuke. Ever since then I wanted to try something similar. That Christmas he bought me a Lil Nuke kit and I got started on what I called the Hemi Hornet. Not knowing a lot about what I was doing, I used a cheap 60 second epoxy to attach the fins and they came out wobbly. I got mad, stuffed the project under the rocket shelf, and forgot about it. I dragged it out and dusted it off last weekend. The fins look like the teeth you see on people buying scratch off lottery tickets, so I ripped them off and I'm going to start again. The decal was printed a long time ago and I don't know where it got to, so I guess that's going to have to be re-done also. Pics at this point are out of the question, but once it gets off life support I'll try to take a few.

Bill,

Sounds like an interesting project .....

"The fins look like the teeth you see on people buying scratch off lottery tickets, so I ripped them off and I'm going to start again" -

Does that mean the fins are black or are they missing?

Lil' Nuke would seem to be a pretty good basic kit to bash up and I like the name "Hemi Hornet". That LOC BT-2.14 tubing can take some serious abuse. How did you handle the upscale decal for it?

I never had an original Hornet and it seems it only ran in production for a few short years just before Centuri had run it's course. I really like the looks of the Hornet and the decal is pretty cool too.

SAM# 0052

Old 03-06-2008, 05:53 PM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltvscout
And it needs to use tumble recovery!

Spectators at the launch will be tumbling and running to get away from it .....

SAM# 0052