Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2009, 09:03 AM
Master Modeler

Send a message via Yahoo to barone

The ASP I built for NARAM 49 C-Scale Altitude.........

Old 11-22-2009, 10:27 AM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
I built a 12.5 foot tall Aerobee Hi from his book.
My son built his gap staged Aerobee Hi from the book.
We like Aerobees.

Yes, Yes we do.

I built a BT-20 WAC Corporal. It started out as an Estes clone, but I changed some things along the way to make more scale-like.
Old 11-22-2009, 11:02 AM
Scale builder

Lets see:

2 sizes of Saturn 1B- 38mm & 18mm

Sandia Sandhawk- 18mm

IRIS- 13mm
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  S1B 1.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  50.8 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  HP-S1B-a.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  63.8 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  sandhawk.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  24.6 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  iris clone.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  28.3 KB  
Old 11-22-2009, 01:34 PM
Rivet Counter

Default WAC Crayon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intruder
I built a BT-20 WAC Corporal.

Well, this one isn't even remotely close to scale, but I did use RoTW data
to help with the proportions....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  WAC_Crayon_painted.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  83.8 KB  
Old 11-22-2009, 02:40 PM
I do not like Facebook

Unlike the rest of you, mine is not an "I built", but rather an "I am conspiring to build."

I did the math years ago on this, but the tubes are finally commercially available.

I am talking about a Nike-Apache at 1/5.5 scale.

That makes the Nike a 3" tube, the Apache fin can a BT-56 or Quest T-35 (one is slightly bigger and the other smaller), the main Apache body a Quest T-30 or Semroc Series 11 and the payload section a BT-60. The nose cone is a commonly available 3:1 ogive (Loadstar or Stormcaster kit).

That leaves three transition sections. The two smaller ones I will order custom made from BMS. The big one from the Nike to the Apache will have to be a cardstock shroud to be affordable.

The only part I do not have an answer for is the swollen front end of the Nike motor. At this scale, I could not live with myself if I left it out. Learn how to turn a faceplate on a lathe?

I would like to fly it as giant sport scale in a regional contest next May. If I get to go to NARAM-52, I will not compete with it, but will fly it on the sport range.

It's either that or bash a 1/70 Saturn 1B into a Saturn 1 Block 2. The S-IV stage turns out to be a 3" tube, now commercially available.

Bill

Last edited by Bill : 11-23-2009 at 08:07 AM. Reason: Corrected S-II stage to S-IV on the Saturn
Old 11-22-2009, 06:54 PM
Custom Cone, Kit & Decal Maker

Oh, Man, where do I begin.

I have a pretty early spiral bound edition of ROTW and it has glue, paint and pencil notes all over it! Plus what more info I could get from all the suppliments.

I think I started with my early prototype Little Joe II.

Then my level 1 Nike Smoke (3" mailing tube.)

Then the Delta E

The Bumper WAC

Thern my first Roachwerks kit the Saturn 1B in 1/127th scale.

Then more kits! A lot more!

The Pad Aborts like Gus mentioned.

The RR-7 family of rockets.

Pershing

Scud B

etc, etc, etc

There is more but that's enough for now.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  PAD ABORT.JPG
Views: 45
Size:  61.6 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  R-7 family2.JPG
Views: 51
Size:  59.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  PERSHING 1a.JPG
Views: 44
Size:  48.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Scud B.JPG
Views: 42
Size:  42.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Scale kits.JPG
Views: 51
Size:  57.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  me and sat 1B.JPG
Views: 49
Size:  24.3 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  bumpwac2.JPG
Views: 48
Size:  12.4 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Delta E.JPG
Size:  69.9 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  SMOKE.JPG
Views: 46
Size:  37.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  LittleJoe.JPG
Views: 47
Size:  46.6 KB  

http://sandmandecals.com/
Old 11-22-2009, 07:40 PM
U.S. Manned Space Program Buff

I hope to do either a V2 or Bumper/WAC. Someday. Does that count?

Greg
Old 11-22-2009, 09:02 PM
Scale builder

Oh Yea! I forgot my L1 3" Nike Smoke. DUH.
Old 11-22-2009, 10:01 PM
Contest, Sport, it's all good......

I’ve done a lot that happened to be in ROTW.

But I can only think of two that were based on ROTW. Many pre-dated Peter’s first book, and/or involved vehicles I had done my own data collecting on (Juno-I, Little Joe-II, Shuttle, Delta 3914 series). Of course some were kits in the early days.

The two I can think of that were mostly or totally based on ROTW were a Thor-Able and Black Brant-V. The Thor-Able was a very crude boilerplate for an FAI Scale Altitude model, where the rules at the time for a 40mm minimum diameter for 20% of the model gave rise to 2-stage models with very large diameter first stages and very small upper stages (One of the better prototypes for FAI Scale Alt is a Bumper-Wac). The Black Brant-V was for a 19mm diameter C Scale Altitude model for NARAM-49

Scale models I have done that are in ROTW but not built from ROTW, that I can think of:

Little Joe-II’s (starting with the Centuri 1/100 kit in 1970, then 1/45. Then scratchbuilts in three scales - 1/39.5, 1/100 and 1/22).
Saturn-IB (Centuri and Cox).
Sandhawk (Estes)
Terrier-Sandhawk (predated the later Estes one, so it was a scratchbuilt Terrier with an Estes Sandhawk on top)
Shuttle - Scratchbuilt, never as a kit (except for a couple of flight converted plastic model orbiters). Many models in various scales, starting with a crude piggyback 1/80 orbiter in August 1977.
Juno-I (AKA Jupiter-C before Explorer-1). Scratchbuilt 2.6 and 4” models in the mid 1980's. The NCR kit was based on my 4” model.
Delta 3914 (around 1983 or 84)- Scratchbuilt model of one that launched the first RCA Satcom in 1976 or so. I have misplaced my data pack on it, which was mostly photos that I have not been able to find by Googling. Scaled to a BT-70 and Centuri #8's for the strap-ons (about 1/43). Those 9 strap-on noses and nozzles is what finally got me into doing vac-forming.
Nike Smoke (Centuri & MPC)
Soyuz launch vehicle (1974 or 75). Crude scratchbuilt at about 1/70 scale.
Mercury Redstone (Centuri, 2 or 3 times)
Gemini-Titan (Estes)
Saturn-V (The Estes SMALL kit based on BT-60, never a big one). Also converted a couple of 1/144 plastic kits.
Nike-Tomahawk - Built from MPC Nike-Smoke and “Tomahawk” kits. This was my first contest-type scale model (1975). Turned the balsa adapter on a drill.
Black Brant - III (Estes kit)
I.Q.S.Y. Tomahawk (1.04” Scratchbuilt) I never wanted to build an IQSY, but it was a good candidate for D Scale Alt in 1986 so I built it despite my feelings.
Plus the Thor-Able and Black Brant-V models mentioned earlier.

Also, some vehicles that are not in ROTW:

X-1 (scratchbuilt) Built one in 1984, at 1/14 scale, with R/C, that had a disaster on its only flight. In 1997, built one at 1/10 scale, R/C. That one flew in Sport Scale at two NARAMs (winning in 1997) but was intended only for fun-sport flying.
X-15 (scratchbuilt 1978) Very crude model about 24-28” long. Glided down after ejecting internal pod
Honest John (Cox kit someone gave to me, and the Centuri kit).
Nike-Zeus (Cox kit) I forget if the N-Zeus is in one of the missile drawing sets Peter made up for NARTS, but I think the Honest John was in one.

There are probably some that do not come to mind, since I’ve been in the hobby since 1970 (Though I didn’t develop good-enough scale-building skills till the mid 1980’s). And I have left out “Concept Scale” type models since to me, those really have nothing to do with the whole idea of building scale models (and ROTW does not have data for rockets that never flew).

- George Gassaway
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  Delta_1984.JPG
Views: 41
Size:  15.9 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  N-30-1988-Juno-I.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  92.9 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  ShuttleOnPad.JPG
Views: 44
Size:  33.3 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  1984-Shuttle-Fins.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  64.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Scans207.jpg
Size:  127.4 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  X_models_1978.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  25.8 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  X-1-scans201.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  60.3 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  LJoeN34onpad.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  66.3 KB  

Last edited by georgegassaway : 11-23-2009 at 07:20 AM.
Old 11-23-2009, 01:14 AM
Forest Sprite

I chose the projects that I listed in my previous post because they were all scale kits that were produced by FSI. (Hey, I have to start somewhere, right?) But I am supplementing them (and in some cases, correcting them) based on data from Peter's books (and other sources).

And talk about needing to make some corrections! FSI listed their WASP model as being 1/8 scale, but with a 2" diameter airframe, it is several orders of magnitude away from being 1/8 scale. (FSI's WASP is actually about 1:15.4 scale.) Their nose cone was also too short, their strap-on boosters were too fat, and they left off the whole free-spinning assembly in the payload section, so the model is too short overall as well. OTOH, they really nailed the Black Brant II and the Nike Smoke and they were quite close on the Nike Tomahawk. They got the basics of the Sandia Sandhawk right but left off A LOT of fin can detail. (And there is an awful lot of it, too. That's what I have been slowly, ever so slowly, working out for the past couple of years.) I haven't studied the Argo D4 Javelin in much detail yet (either FSI's or the real one), so I can't say how close they came, but I do know that their version is a bit too short for the scale that it is in.

One of my big dilemmas is that I want to build clones of the FSI kits. But I'm torn over whether to build straight clones of their scale kits (even though I know that some of them have some glaring flaws), or else build much more true scale models of those rockets that happen to be the same size as the FSI kits. If I do the latter, then they will be better representations of the actual rockets, but they won't really be clones of the kits anymore. But then, if I had bought the actual kits when they came out, and I knew about the scale issues, would I have corrected them while I was building the actual kits? Probably; at least I would have tried. So if I build my model with the scale features corrected, wouldn't I in fact be building a clone of the same rocket that I would have produced if I had the real kit? You see how this is driving me crazy? I'm having a real Hamlet moment here.

I love obsessing over scale issues. Well actually, not really, but right now I can't help it.

MarkII
Mark S. Kulka NAR #86134 L1,_ASTRE #471_Adirondack Mountains, NY
Opinions Unfettered by Logic • Advice Unsullied by Erudition • Rocketry Without Pity
+09281962-TAK-08272007+
SAM # 0011