Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2017, 08:35 PM
Almost shovel ready

Default Harvey

Our friend luke stawwalker lives right down in ground zero of this catastrophic storm. Hang in there Jeff Roberts and everyone else who is effected by this nasty monster.
Old 08-28-2017, 12:10 PM
Roger Smith/JonRocket.com

Our thoughts are with Jeff and everyone else affected by the hurricane. I know how terrible it was for us during and after hurricane Charley and that storm had weakened to barely a category 2 by the time it reached us. So, our experience can not even begin to compare to that which many in Texas are facing.

Most of our listings on eBay right now have a percentage going to the American Red Cross in order to help the rescue and recovery efforts in Texas. We will also be donating a similar percentage of sales made through our regular web site.

-- Roger
jonrocket.com
Old 08-28-2017, 10:54 PM
BAR

Default checking in...

Thanks for the thoughts folks. We appreciate it!

Lets remember the good folks associated with the Old Rocketeers #724 club in the Katy area, and the good folks over at the NASA/Houston Rocket Club (NHRC) down in the Clear Lake area. That's all some pretty low, swampy ground and lots of development-- concrete and parking lots doesn't allow much infiltration of water...

We're currently in San Antonio. My mom, who lives at Shiner in a mobile home up on a hill out on the farm there, decided that she'd rather get out of town for the storm, and so we drove her up to Junction Friday before the storm arrived, and we stayed there Saturday and Sunday. My uncle drove up from Victoria, as he's got health problems and didn't care to sit it out in the city of Victoria, since it's an hour closer to the coast (next town south is basically Rockport, where the storm made landfall). Good call because Victoria is a complete mess from what I've heard. He has health problems and wasn't feeling well, so we came back down to San Antonio Sunday afternoon, and by that evening he was feeling bad enough he went in to the hospital. He's doing alright, but not good enough to get out. Of course my mom doesn't want to leave San Antonio while he's in the hospital.

Betty and I drove back to Shiner (about 2 hours east of here, halfway back to Needville, basically) and checked out the farm, fed the dogs, etc. Everything at the farm was fine-- ponds are busting full of course, got about 15-17 inches of rain or thereabouts, so that's to be expected. Four trees on the farm went over in the wind, but nothing major. Her mobile home is fine, power is on, so all is well. Cows were fat and happy. In driving around the farm on the tractor checking fences and things, I saw a cow had a new calf this morning-- think I'll call him "Harvey"... LOL

My brother and sister-in-law both work for the county drainage district-- they couldn't leave because they're on call, but he told me that while the Needville farm has about a foot of standing water on pretty much the whole thing, the cows are riding it out on the creek levees and his house is still well above water. When we bought our mobile home, I built a pile of dirt about 2-3 feet high before they moved it in, so we're high and dry. SO far they have power and all is well there.

My sister and brother-in-law and her boys rode it out in their home in Needville... lots of water but no flooding. Things are much worse in Rosenberg/Richmond, where a roadway washed out (it was on the weather channel) and now the Brazos River is about to crest with record-breaking flooding. My wife's friend Lena and her family were confident that in 17 years their house had never flooded-- they were forced to evacuate earlier today, due to the Pecan Grove levee and retention pond becoming unsound and it's not going to hold, releasing several feet of water into the area. Hopefully their house won't flood, but I wouldn't necessarily count on it. That entire area is awfully close to the Brazos River, and it's some pretty low ground out there; of course they've built 100,000 homes out there in the last 20 years, in and area that had historically been farmland and grazing land and swamp bottom with VERY few inhabitants before, and for good reason. Of course the school Betty teaches at and Keira attends as a seventh grader is over in that area as well. School is closed until next week at least... they announced Thursday evening that they would close Friday and Monday, and then announced over the weekend they're closed all next week. School had just started last Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday. Julie is a band director at the next school up the road and of course her boys go to Needville-- not sure when Needville intends to start school-- they were supposed to Monday but that's questionable IMHO... our district has a LOT of low ground on the southern/eastern side of the school district.

Anyway, I'll post some pics here ASAP.

Later and thanks again and God bless to all who are still (and will be) dealing with this huge mess for quite some time!

Later!
Jeff
Old 08-29-2017, 12:05 AM
BAR

Default Some pics from Needville...

My brother sent me some pics by phone of the Needville farm.
The first pic is of the drainage canal and pasture in front of my house...
Second pic is my brother's house from the road...
Third pic is where the drainage canal exits the farm under FM 1236...
Fourth pic is my folk's old house and carport...
Fifth pic is the Hurta Road gate area to the launching field-- look too wet for launches for awhile... Sorry Dave!
Sixth pic is Buffalo Creek directly south and across Hurta Road from the south end of the farm... usually this is a creek about a foot or two deep, now it's about 12 feet deep or so...
Seventh pic is the canal exit from the farm under 1236 from inside the fence...
Eighth pic is Jay's back yard at the pasture gates...
Ninth pic is Jay driving the Ford 5610 tractor down to the old folk's place to turn off the electric fencer, since it's obvious the hot wire is underwater in places... water was about 18 inches deep here as seen by the half-submerged tractor front tire...

Later! OL J R
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  2017082795155051.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  360.6 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  2017082795155139.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  372.1 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  2017082795155318.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  280.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  2017082795155343.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  441.9 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  2017082795155629.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  159.7 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  2017082795155702.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  344.8 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  2017082795162047.jpg
Size:  238.8 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  2017082795165217.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  239.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  2017082795161830.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  354.5 KB  
Old 08-29-2017, 12:40 AM
BAR

Some pics I took this evening (8/29/17) near Shiner...

First, demolished steel building north of Shiner on the way in from Moulton...
Second, a line of Texas National Guard vehicles heading north out of Shiner toward Moulton and Flatonia, presumably up I-10 toward Houston...
Third, waves rolling across the big farm pond at Shiner... brimming full...
Fourth, wide shot of the small farm pond at Shiner... now brimming full and overflowing down to the creek...
Fifth, one of the four trees uprooted on the farm from the wind...
Sixth, Momma and new baby laying in the grass... "I think I shall call him 'Harvey'"...
Seventh, Momma and Harvey...
Eighth, Thank Goodness! The Brewery is safe!!! LOL
Ninth, Peach Creek, which usually a boy could jump across (if not walk across on dry land), now a new lake... (flowing into the Guadalupe River).
Lastly, as the storm moves off toward Galveston, the clouds cleared away for a beautiful sunset over the Guadalupe Valley from this pic just south of Gonzales...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_20170828_144209023.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  1.27 MB  Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_20170828_144254360.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  1.22 MB  Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_20170828_145936882a.jpg
Size:  1.11 MB  Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_20170828_153132309a.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  250.7 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_20170828_153721884a.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  714.8 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_20170828_162825766a.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  662.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_20170828_165537846a.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  918.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_20170828_183854689a.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  702.9 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_20170828_184858424a.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  864.3 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_20170828_194056206_HDRa.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  654.7 KB  

Old 08-29-2017, 07:50 AM
Craftsman

Wow!!! lotta rain, glad you all are OK. Be safe and know We are sending up prayers for the Lone Star State. PS... That newborn Harvey is a cutie.
Old 08-29-2017, 11:45 PM
Master Modeler

We had some of that in south Florida after Hurricane Andrew, but *not* to such an enormous extent, as your pictures show! Harvey wasn't as powerful, but unlike other storms it hasn't yet broken up or moved elsewhere, which is why it's flooding the Houston area and its surroundings; it just keeps rotating and dumping foot after foot of rain in that one location.
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR
Old 08-30-2017, 10:21 AM
Sci-fi Heroine

Old 08-30-2017, 09:51 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Babe

Thanks! We haven't had a drought in several years thank goodness... Last year we were about 150%above normal for rain fall for the year, this year will be more like 200%or more at least...

Must've been thinking of someone else...😃
Later! OL J R
Old 08-31-2017, 10:09 PM
BAR

http://www.haytalk.com/forums/topic...ke-strawwalker/

Here's a link to the Hay Talk forum where I posted some more pics and screencaps that I took during the storm... and some pics that my wife and brother sent to me, from Facebook and elsewhere...

Feel free to comment here... OL J R