Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Swap Shoppe > Wanted: Dead or Alive!
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2016, 12:50 PM
Amateur Professional

Default [Wanted] RMS-RC™ 18/20 Motor Case

Got one of these hanging around? At the very least I'd like you to weigh it & measure it, but a more permanent arrangement may be preferred :-)

My intent is to compare / contrast with an 18/20 and the solid plugged forward closure as well as an epoxied standard 18/20 forward closure.

Please note that this version appears to have been constructed after the same fashion as the RMS RC 32/60-100 , e.g. with a unibody case/forward closure.
Old 10-18-2016, 08:11 PM
Flying since 1977

To the best of my knowledge, Aerotech has never released an RMS RC 18/20 casing to the public. The only RMS RC casings available to the public are the RMS RC 24/40 and the RMS RC 32/100. All of those casings have only a rear closure are are machined from a block or cylinder of aluminum. In fact, from the one RMS RC 24/40 case that I have seen uses the same rear closure as the RMS 24/40 case.

Mike Toelle

NAR 31692 L1

SAM 0373
Old 10-18-2016, 10:33 PM
Contest, Sport, it's all good......

The only 18mm reload casing Aerotech has sold publically is the 18/20 casing with the screw-on forward closure. Which for the R/C reloads like the D2.3 needs to be plugged with epoxy.

Many years ago, AT experimented with an 18mm reload casing for rocket cars, which was a single-piece "Can" casing like the 24 and 32mm RC reload casings. But they dropped the idea of the rocket cars and that casing design never went into production.
Georges'CancerGoFundMe:
https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-geo...ay-fight-cancer
Old 10-18-2016, 11:31 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgegassaway
The only 18mm reload casing Aerotech has sold publically is the 18/20 casing with the screw-on forward closure. Which for the R/C reloads like the D2.3 needs to be plugged with epoxy.

Many years ago, AT experimented with an 18mm reload casing for rocket cars, which was a single-piece "Can" casing like the 24 and 32mm RC reload casings. But they dropped the idea of the rocket cars and that casing design never went into production.

Over at brand X, in the Aerotech open thread in the Propulsion Forum, the AT General manager has stated that there is already a plugged closure available for the 18mm case.

And it is on the value rockets list of AT products that has been folded into the AT web site. Also, the value rocket items are becoming available through the normal AT dealers.

Here it is:

http://www.aerotechstore.com/index....products_id=333
TRA 2150 (lapsed)
Old 10-19-2016, 12:10 AM
Amateur Professional

Quote:

Interesting. AT actually have reload instructions on their site for old 18mm loads which show the 18mm unibody, which is what sent me down this path. Judging by the dimensions of the new pugged forward, the unibody would be both shorter and lighter than a case + plugged forward.

Probably I'll just end up modifying a standard 18mm forward, but if anybody turns up pics or an example I'd love to see it.
Old 10-19-2016, 09:41 AM
Craftsman

what is the pointer to the instructions you are seeing the two I found show the jb plugged version.

http://www.aerotech-rocketry.com/up...ns%206-6-13.pdf

http://www.aerotech-rocketry.com/up...ns%206-6-13.pdf

For the 18mm you aren't really going to save any weight, the internal dimension of the casing needs to be consistent for the reload liner/o-rings etc, and the outside needs to be consistent for mounting them in standard motor mounts, so you either have a closure that screws into the case, or a thick forward solid end. It's the same amount of metal, the only part of the 18mm that sticks forward is the small ejection reservoir which is very tiny. It's not like the 24mm that has a long closure for the delay element.

Frank
Old 10-19-2016, 11:26 AM
Amateur Professional

http://www.aerotech-rocketry.com/cu...18_d2_11-96.pdf

I think the consensus is that epoxy-plugging a regular case will be the lightest. Curiosity being what it is, just wanted to sound out people who were in the hobby at the time :-)
Old 10-19-2016, 11:33 AM
Craftsman

Interesting, I wonder if they actually made/sold any of those casings/reloads, I dont' think I've seen a d2 on thrustcurve, just the d2.3...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhbarr
Old 10-19-2016, 02:25 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by burkefj
Interesting, I wonder if they actually made/sold any of those casings/reloads, I dont' think I've seen a d2 on thrustcurve, just the d2.3...

The D2 drawing shows a shall short drilled out core as opposed to the slot at the bottom of the D2.3 reload.....that likely accounts for the slight difference in designation.
TRA 2150 (lapsed)
Old 10-25-2016, 09:50 PM
Amateur Professional

Quote:

Slight update on this: it appears as if "The 27mm diameter R/C RMS casing was developed for the R/C car market.

AeroTech was going to supply the casing hardware while another company would produce the R/C cars.

Prototypes of the R/C rocket cars were displayed at the 1991 RCHTA show with AeroTech 27mm RMS cases installed."

Still a can case, and yet another interesting variant never seen in the wild.