Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Swap Shoppe > For Sale
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2015, 08:48 PM
Black Wolf Rocketry

Default Hypothetical MMI motors

Ok, so I have a question. Let's just say I could get my hands on some original MMI motors, not yet burned. I am not saying that I can, but let's just pretend for a minute. What do you folks think they might be worth dollar wise? In other words, what would you be willing to spend and how interested would you be? I have a reason for making this inquiry but nothing is set yet. Thanks in advance.

I hate rules.
Old 02-23-2015, 09:02 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by harsas
Ok, so I have a question. Let's just say I could get my hands on some original MMI motors, not yet burned. I am not saying that I can, but let's just pretend for a minute. What do you folks think they might be worth dollar wise? In other words, what would you be willing to spend and how interested would you be? I have a reason for making this inquiry but nothing is set yet. Thanks in advance.

You'd probably find some who might pay a decent amount for them (not sure just how much), but the biggest problem is few want to ship them. Have been able to get some pretty good deals on some decent collector motors off ebay before ebay 'finds' the listing and pulls it.

Are these early MMI motors.....like the ones Orville Carlisle pressed himself, or the ones Vern made in Denver (standard 18mm size stuff)?

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 02-23-2015, 09:32 PM
Black Wolf Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
You'd probably find some who might pay a decent amount for them (not sure just how much), but the biggest problem is few want to ship them. Have been able to get some pretty good deals on some decent collector motors off ebay before ebay 'finds' the listing and pulls it.

Are these early MMI motors.....like the ones Orville Carlisle pressed himself, or the ones Vern made in Denver (standard 18mm size stuff)?

Earl

I am not quite clear on exactly what is there. I believe there are some Brown motors and some Estes motors. I have not actually laid hands on them yet so I am not totally sure. I am trying to do a bit of advanced scouting, as it were.

I hate rules.
Old 02-23-2015, 09:48 PM
Apollo Nut

Well, regardless of shipping status, I'm sure many of us would like to hear more about what you eventually find out about them. And, as always, photos, if obtainable, are always a great bonus!

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Old 02-24-2015, 07:44 AM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Harold,

Being that someone just paid over $900 for an MMI box with some paper, balsa scraps, a metal rod, a hunk of wood and a piece of curved metal in it, I'd say you could make a pretty penny!
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 02-24-2015, 10:29 AM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

A few years ago I paid $60 for a box of six Denver Estes-made Rock-A-Chutes. At NARAM 50 the box was signed by Vern Estes and Bill Stine, and Bill asked earnestly whether I wanted to devalue the box with signatures. I told him it wasn't an investment, but a keepsake.

A Brown-made Rock-a-Chute would be a curiosity for me, and I might pay $20-30 for one.

A Carlisle-made Rock-a-Chute... I would have a much higher upper limit, but I would try to bargain to around $50 for one.
Old 02-24-2015, 12:24 PM
Apollo Nut

I did buy a couple of Denver produced MMI motors off Rocket Doctor a few years ago for around $60 to $70, seems like. I had NOTHING "MMI" in my collection at the time and was happy to get them.

Some Carlisle hand made ones with the yellow wrapper I would probably pay a fair amount more for.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Old 02-28-2015, 07:29 PM
Black Wolf Rocketry

Thanks for the input. I have written to the owner of the motors and am hopeful he will send a complete description and some photos. If he does, I will post them here.

I hate rules.
Old 04-15-2015, 01:32 PM
Black Wolf Rocketry

Well, in case you have not already figured it out, I have received nothing further from the owner of these motors. Oh well, easy come, easy go. Thanks again.

I hate rules.