Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Plans & Publications
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2016, 10:49 PM
Seagulls Beware...

Question Any other Variants of the OMEGA (K-52) out there?

Here's the only version of the Estes OMEGA (K-52) (w/o payload section) I've seen. I suspect that there may be others showing different shock cords, parachutes, or updated company info.

I'm looking for scans of the Instructions, as well as the Parts List/Countdown Checklist, hang tags, and facecards.

This is the only version of the instructions I've seen. Unfortunately for me, I didn't think to note the hang tag when I got it, but I do remember that it wasn't yellow.

Ideally, scans would be 600 DPI, and in a .pdf or .png format.

Thanks!
Jim

Dreaming of making the rockets I dreamed of as a kid (and then some).

"The Guide says there is an art to flying", said Ford, "or rather a knack."
"The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

Launching is Optional... Landing? That Depends on Trees.
Old 11-09-2016, 11:59 AM
Seagulls Beware...

A clue to look for to see if you've got a set of instructions I could use... Look at the recommended motors. For the OMEGA (K-52P) D13 motors were appeared in the 1970 and 1971 catalogs. Beginning in 1972, they were changed to D12 motors. My (K-52) instructions recommend D13s, and lack a part number for the instruction page.

Old 11-09-2016, 08:57 PM
TRFugee

I was heavily into rocketry from 73 through about 77 and I had a 1974 vintage Omega (sadly, no Cineroc). here were only two major variants of the Omega, the plain version with the payload section and the Cineroc launch vehicle version. The plain version was changed sometime between 1975 and 1975 when the two piece black (and heavy) nose cone was replaced with the blow molded cone. I lost my first Omega and bought a replacement in 1980, but eventually lost it as well.

Rob
Old 11-10-2016, 06:47 AM
Seagulls Beware...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Campbell
I was heavily into rocketry from 73 through about 77 and I had a 1974 vintage Omega (sadly, no Cineroc). here were only two major variants of the Omega, the plain version with the payload section and the Cineroc launch vehicle version. The plain version was changed sometime between 1975 and 1975 when the two piece black (and heavy) nose cone was replaced with the blow molded cone. I lost my first Omega and bought a replacement in 1980, but eventually lost it as well.

Rob

The plain version, as you put it underwent a number of changes throughout its run. Intoduced in 1970, it used a BNC-60AH nosecone which changed to the injection molded nosecone soon after. I've yet to pin down that date. The injection molded nosecone shipped in white, and IIRC also in black (however my photos were lost with the HD dump back in September). Later K-52Ps and the 1200 shipped with blow molded PNC-60AH motors and were 2mm longer than the previous version.

The K-52P also underwent changes in the recommended motors over time. In 1970 and 71 they used the D13-0/D13-7 motors for payloads up to 5 oz. and D13-0/D13-5 motors for payloads over 5 oz (D13-5 motors for single stage). In 1972, and for the rest of the production of the OMEGA, the recommended motors were D12-0/D12-7 motors for payloads up to 5 oz, and D12-0/D12-5 motors for payloads over 5 oz (D12-5 motors for single stage).

Presumably, the K-52 (which you called the Cineroc Launch Vehicle (shortened as CLV)) also changed motor recommendations in 1972. However, my instructions are older than that, and I've yet to seen newer instructions.

Old 11-10-2016, 03:31 PM
Flying since 1977

Keep in mind that the D12s were introduced in 1972. The blow molded PNC-60AH was released after 1975. The all numeric catalog numbers first appeared for all the existing K-kits is the 1975 catalog. It took a bit of time to change the face cards depending on how well a particular kit sold. Some of the instructions changed faster than others. Even today, the production runs of Estes kits are not very large.

Mike Toelle

NAR 31692 L1

SAM 0373
Old 11-11-2016, 12:17 PM
TRFugee

Also, I seem to remember the black 2 piece nose cone being the same one used on the Citation Patriot and Red Max. Later Red Max kits were shipped with the white blow molded PNC-60AH nose cone.