Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Kit Collecting
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2009, 08:55 PM
Low Tech Rocket Dude

Default Build or keep in the wrapper?

I was shopping around in the local hobby shop today and they have the same old usual Estes kits that they always have, but they have had a pile of boxes sitting on the ground under their display ever since I can remember, so I started digging, and I found this. They had it marked (from 10 years ago) for $75.00. I offered them 65 and it came home with me.

Is this a good deal? Should I keep it and not build it or should I (as I probably will do) build it and fly it? What good is a kit unless you build and fly it right? But is this something that should be kept in its sealed box? Thanks.

Old 03-31-2009, 08:59 PM
Master Modeler

Build it and fly it! I did......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  K-36 Saturn - V Build & Progress 003.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  38.1 KB  
Old 03-31-2009, 09:40 PM
Master Modeler

Send a message via Yahoo to barone

Well.......I see a few options here.........

1. Sell it on ebay and try to double your money. Why? Semroc is coming out with one if Estes doesn't first. Then the value of this one will decrease. If you want to build, you'll have either the Semroc version or another Estes version.

2. Keep it sealed. Well, that would imply that you want to have it for a collectors item which usually means you'll eventually sell it. See option one........

3. Open it, build and fly it. What's the harm? After all, it's just a model rocket and you might have it built in time for the Apollo 11 40th anniversary. Estes or Semroc is coming out with one so if it breaks, you can always get another. Besides, model rockets were meant to be built and flown, not hoarded (DO NOT LOOK IN MY GARAGE!)
Old 03-31-2009, 09:54 PM
Low Tech Rocket Dude

You are correct. I will likely never sell it, so I believe I will build it and either just display it or launch it. I really want to try it out on an AT F24W. I think that would look rather interesting.
Old 03-31-2009, 10:46 PM
Addicted Collector.. now Rockets

For $65, you bought it cheap. As mentioned in early post, you can easily double your money on eBay.

Rocket kits were meant to be built and flown. Typically, I look for opened kits to build and mint unopen kits to collect. In your case, she will be a great build for the price.
Old 03-31-2009, 10:52 PM
Low Tech Rocket Dude

I can't believe it sat there as long as it had. They have had it for at least ten years they said. Rocketry is truly dead around here. I am going to build it and cluster it with a D in the center surrounded by 4 C's and launch it on the anneversary in the park across the street from me.

It should be interesting.
Old 04-01-2009, 01:00 PM
Hooked Badly

Quote:
Originally Posted by DM1975
I can't believe it sat there as long as it had.

Me neither.

Sell it now on ebay, get your money back and use the proceeds from the sale to buy the Semroc version (I'm still doubting Estes will reissue) when it comes out.
Old 04-01-2009, 02:51 PM
Craftsman

Thumbs up Saturn V

Go ahead and build it.... My 2 cents now.......
Get the Sirius Rocketry fin and capsule set. It's MUCH sturdier than the Estes parts(and it'll leave you with a spare part set for the upcoming kits)
I'm currently building the exact kit for NSL.
You will need nose weight if you are going to power it with a cluster.
I'm flying mine with 24mm E15 reloads. D12's are great if you want to take a chance.
Again, my 2 cents
Mark T
Old 04-01-2009, 04:45 PM
Low Tech Rocket Dude

That sounds like a good idea. Being cheap like I am I thought about filling the fairings and fins with expandable foam. do you think this would work or should I just go with the Sirius set? I do not plan on gluing the escape tower on, but just have it on for show and take it off to fly it.
Old 04-01-2009, 04:59 PM
Craftsman

Talking Estes Saturn V

Get the set from Sirius. Yeah, it's kinda spendy, but the fins are molded to the fairings.
They look plenty strong to me.
Take your time sanding them, get them to fit on the bare tube first.
I used epoxy to install them.
If you can get it Apogee has a REALLY neat Saturn V instruction manual DVD with tips on how to install the plastic corrugations ,works really slick.
The Sirius Tower is molded in one piece, added strength.
I have read where you can install a piece of wire in the Estes Escape tower for extra strength. drill through the CM and install the wire in line with the escape rocket and mount the tower pieces around it.
Mark