Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Building Techniques
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2008, 03:26 PM
BAR Apprentice

Great job on the rockets! Thanks for sharing the pictures. Just curious what kind of flight difference you have noticed between your original design and the Y-wing design.

Just having a Blast!
Old 09-30-2008, 03:34 PM
Rocket Dad

The Y-wing is not as fast, nor does it fly as high. However, it does seem to fly straighter and is a much easier and faster build. Both flew excellent on C's and I'm sure will do great on B's. "A" motors take both to about 200' + or -. I'm a poor judge of distance. Once the tube fins get a bit out of round on the design I did, it tends to spin a bit more. Even after the one got stepped on, it still flew great but had some wobble.

I'm not sure how much of a difference the altitude will be as these two are very heavy with paint.
Old 10-30-2008, 11:20 AM
BAR Apprentice

Hey gang, my 6-year old daughter has been after me to build her a rocket so she could fly with her big brothers so her's her rocket based on the Y-Wing design.

Just having a Blast!
Old 11-02-2008, 11:20 AM
BAR Apprentice

I forgot to mention in my previous post that I took HDR's suggestion about coating the outside of the paper towel (body) and toilet (fins) tubes with a few coats of some thinned glue (white glue/water mixture). I was surprised at how well it worked as a sort of a base coat sealer and its ability to add some structural rigidity to the tubes. I also put a top coat over everything after I had finished painting (my first experiment with an airbrush) and it seemed to seal well.

Thanks to HDR for the coating suggestion, Mike Bar for the link to the Y-Wing design, Cheeseman for the glue gun tip and everyone for so patiently answering my questions and sharing tips.

Just having a Blast!