Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2010, 11:39 AM
Your typical BAAAR...

Default Estes U.S.S. Atlantis build and blog

I decided to start a spacemodeling blog as a way to share projects with friends that I don't live nearby anymore. I thought it might be fun to share it here also. My first project is an Estes classic, the U.S.S. Atlantis. Follow my progress at:

http://spacemodeling.blogspot.com

It's already in progress, so you'll have to scroll back back a few posts to find the beginning... I look forward to your suggestions and feedback!

Don
Old 12-29-2010, 12:46 PM
Too Many Initiators is Never Enough

Looking good, Don!
Old 12-29-2010, 07:01 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrent
I decided to start a spacemodeling blog as a way to share projects with friends that I don't live nearby anymore. I thought it might be fun to share it here also. My first project is an Estes classic, the U.S.S. Atlantis. Follow my progress at:

http://spacemodeling.blogspot.com

It's already in progress, so you'll have to scroll back back a few posts to find the beginning... I look forward to your suggestions and feedback!

Don

Don

I'm going to go back and read through the article, but I noticed you are using the Midwest balsa filler technique. I have the products listed, but it seems such a laborious process just to get the fins filled...is there a trick to this? I also use the filler primer first and then sanding sealer. I think the norm today is Elmer's Fill and Finish, but I think no matter how you slice it; in order to get the right finish you have to just take your time and repeat the process until everything is filled. One quick mention. I've been using the Rustoleum Filler primer and also Duplicolor makes a high build primer that works great! I've been real happy with both both products.

Dan
Old 12-29-2010, 07:12 PM
Your typical BAAAR...

I'm definitely open to suggestions... I used to use Hobby Poxy Stuff to fill balsa but alas it is no longer available.

This fillercoat method is indeed laborious but it's the only other product I could find at my LHS designed to fill balsa. I hadn't heard of the Elmers filler.

Thanks for the paint tips... I was actually less than happy with the primer I was using. It covered well enough and didn't run but was not that sandable.
Old 12-29-2010, 07:21 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
I'm open to suggestions... I used to use Hobby Poxy Stuff to fill balsa but alas it is no longer available.

This fillercoat method is indeed laborious but it's the only other product I could find at my LHS designed to fill balsa.

I hear you on that. I guess it just boils down to whatever works best for you. I have the sanding sealer and primer filler in my cabinet. I haven't used it in awhile, but you it's one of those things where you want to try it again, because I think we all are looking for ways to make the building experience more enjoyable and not so time consuming.

As far as balsa this is what I do.

I use Elmer's Fill and Finish. I mix it up until it looks like creamy peanut butter. I apply it to both parts of the fin or balsa part. I take a putty knife and I evenly scrape off the excess so it leaves an even surface. I suppose you could also use a playing card. After it dries I lightly sand with 400 grit. I do mean lightly. I repeat the process a second time and that's it. When I primer the rocket and I notice any grain or imperfections in the balsa I come back and repeat the process and then spray it again with high build primer. Just a note usually the first coat of primer is a "tell all" you see all the imperfections. After I fix the area that needs attention. I don't primer the whole rocket, just that area only. Saves on primer reduces the weight of the rocket. When everything looks good...I wet sand the last coat of primer..let it dry for a few days and spray the color.
Old 12-30-2010, 12:12 AM
Your typical BAAAR...

One reason I primer the whole rocket is that if you are going to paint the entire rocket white as I will with the Atlantis, it will have an even shade over the entire model. Otherwise the nosecone and the bodytube will look slightly different due to one being brown paper, the other white plastic...

I also have found that a good primer coat will reduce the likelyhood of runs with gloss enamel colors.

Don

Last edited by dbrent : 12-30-2010 at 10:04 AM.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:37 AM
Craftsman

Quote:
One reason I primer the whole rocket is that if you are going to paint the entire rocket white as I will with the Atlantis, it will have an even shade over the entire model. Otherwise the nosecone and the bodytube will look slightly different do to one being brown paper, the other white plastic...

I also have found that a good primer coat will reduce the likelyhood of runs with gloss enamel colors.

Don

I agree with you on that...when I get the body the way I want I give it one final coat of primer. I just spot paint while I am making the repairs.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:17 PM
Some place far,far.away.

Default Gift cards

I use elmers filler also. I found that useing old gift cards (credit card stock) works well applying and works well scrapping off excess. I picked up about 20 dif (blank) cards over the holidays. Im also working on useing them (gift cards) for fins