Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Mission Control
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2007, 09:52 PM
BP Mafia

Default Flying this weekend?

Did anyone have weather that cooperated? I was all packed to go on Friday night for the Saturday Quark launch, but it was cancelled due to high winds. I went out and bought a bunch of motors while my daughter was having her skating lesson on Friday afternoon and I had enough to fly everything I built over the winter. Today was supposed to be lousy, but it was actually pretty nice, at least down here in Ft. Thomas. Unfortunately all of our local small fields were literally under water due to the snowmelt and rain. Pretty frustrating, and the future looks no better.
Man, I've never managed to get the hang of February and March.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 02-25-2007, 10:04 PM
Incurable SEMROC Fan

Unhappy "No-fly" zone here, too

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
Did anyone have weather that cooperated? I was all packed to go on Friday night for the Saturday Quark launch, but it was cancelled due to high winds.
We had sunny, breezy conditions on Saturday, and snow last night and today.

Fortunately for me, I didn't have anything ready to fly... but my kid brother who owns a fencing company (*no,* not like Sulu on the original "Star Trek") came over yesterday to figure out what all he needs to do to fix my fences that are in various stages of falling down.

*And* earlier tonight I called Mike Jerauld in San Diego to wish him happy 45th birthday a day early, and ended up talking for half an hour. That was cool.

Cheers,
Semroc SAM #0029
NAR 86131

"I think about organizing things all the time. Never seems to happen. I find something that piques my interest and I'm off on a quest. Or a Centuri. "

--Bill Eichelberger, 02/22/2022

“Centuri fret buzz in an updated form.”
Bill “Wallyum” Eichelberger re: Estes Flutter-By
03 Sept 2014
Old 02-25-2007, 10:25 PM
Master Modeler

Unhappy No Fly Zone

Quote:
CenturiGuy Quote:

We had sunny, breezy conditions on Saturday, and snow last night and today.

Me too . Woke up to 2 inches of snow Saturday morning and then rained it all away the rest of the day and Sunday. I guess that is why they call it a rain forest . Forcast is for more snow on Tuesday and Wednesday so lookout Jay its coming your way soon after.

James Pierson
NAR# 77907
Old 02-25-2007, 10:34 PM
AL Swackhammer , power freak

Quote:

hmm.. me neither, although I have photos of us flying in the snow flurries, back in my (much) younger days

guess stay in and build more - like I did this afternoon, while taking it easy trying to beat this cold I'm coming down with :-( ... ( isl balsa dust good medicine for the common cold ?)

nothing to write about yet, or pics ( soon, I promise :-) , sanded down the vintage Estes Explorer for repaint this spring, got mu Big Bertha fins on and filleted ( first Bertha I ever built, in 30+ years of active rocketry, go figure ) , also cut some fins, and even glued a few on , lol ( original Sizzler, Little John, EAC Viper, MRI Theta 37,Astron Scout ).

~ AL
Old 02-25-2007, 11:17 PM
Cosmic American

We had an entire weekend of wind... it was steadily 10mph with lots of gusting to over 20, and our field gets pushed to its limits in 7mph, at least with my flying skills as they are. We did launch our air rockets though... took em over to my mothers house today, my son wanted them to see... we also took some of our "real" rockets to show her... they didn't even know such things existed so it was kind of cool to do a little show and tell with my boy.

We also walked up the side of the little mountain in my mother's back yard which we had never done (she hasn't lived there too long)... it was really nice to get to spend a little time in woods.

Last edited by dwrunyon : 02-26-2007 at 08:41 AM.
Old 02-25-2007, 11:38 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
Did anyone have weather that cooperated?

Windy here in Mobile on Saturday, mostly all day and gusting like a front was coming through. Today was better, but I had other duties to attend to. Hopefully this coming Saturday will be better...

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 02-26-2007, 07:49 PM
Rocket Scientist

It was fairly mild for our monthly launch in Battleboro, with a very light breeze that tailed off as the day went on. We got to fly our TARC rocket 5 times (E28's) and get some more practice in with it, so it was a fairly good weekend.
NAR#77967
http://www.Semroc.com
Old 02-27-2007, 09:52 PM
Forest Sprite

Quote:
Did anyone have weather that cooperated? I was all packed to go on Friday night for the Saturday Quark launch, but it was cancelled due to high winds. I went out and bought a bunch of motors while my daughter was having her skating lesson on Friday afternoon and I had enough to fly everything I built over the winter. Today was supposed to be lousy, but it was actually pretty nice, at least down here in Ft. Thomas. Unfortunately all of our local small fields were literally under water due to the snowmelt and rain. Pretty frustrating, and the future looks no better.

I did make four flight tests in my driveway today of a micromaxx motor adapter that I had constructed (I kept launching it until I got a flight that I liked). The weather was sunny and fairly warm - about 30 deg., and was the fifth straight day of sunny weather, and the warmest. (I had also made one test launch of the same mod on Monday.) The first three flights today looped and landed in waist-deep snow in my backyard. The problem turned out to be launch lug drag caused by a bit of residue on the rod. After I finally figured that out and cleaned it off, the last launch was good: straight up, with decent height (for micromaxx) and nominal recovery a few feet from the pad.

Mark Kulka
Mark S. Kulka NAR #86134 L1,_ASTRE #471_Adirondack Mountains, NY
Opinions Unfettered by Logic • Advice Unsullied by Erudition • Rocketry Without Pity
+09281962-TAK-08272007+
SAM # 0011
Old 03-11-2007, 06:20 PM
BP Mafia

Flight one of the day was the much maligned Cosmik Debris on a C6-3. It was a great flight although it windcocked considerably, but still recovered within 200' of the pad. Very cool. I'll download the flight video when I get home. I'm pretty sure that I mentioned Craig's name once or twice during the flight. After an impressive flight of the Argus II (a D.O.M. plan rocket,) I bowed to peer pressure and bought a D21 for the second, and last, flight of the Cosmik Debris. It left the pad with three fins, only to return with one amid a shower of balsa confetti. I was able to scavenge most of the pieces, but I'm afraid that new fins will have to be cut if it flies again. Pics of the carnage are still on my camera, but I'll download them before I go to work.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper

Last edited by A Fish Named Wallyum : 03-11-2007 at 06:38 PM.
Old 03-11-2007, 07:22 PM
Dazed and Confused

I had to make a tough choice today. Motorcycle or rockets....I chose motorcycle this time.