Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2010, 03:25 PM
Craftsman

Default Estes Super Alpha (0717) help!

Please help me complete the collection...feed the addiction! A while back I decided to build every version of the Estes Alpha. The different versions consist of different Alpha number (I-IV), kit numbers (K-25, 1225, EK-25, 1408, 1421, etc.), fin shapes and contouring, nosecone shapes & materials, and so on.

Here's a pair of crappy photos of the collection of just Alphas (I-IV). Not pictured, but part of the collection are the Maxi Alpha, Maxi Alpha 3, current Super Alpha, 4" upscale Alpha, and Phantom (clear Alpha III parts).

From Left to Right:

-1967-1969 Catalog Scheme K-25: Balsa NC, "streamlined" fins. This one got stuck on a roof and was weathered by a storm, so it looks like it came from the late 60's

-1970 Catalog K-25: Balsa NC, "streamlined" fins.

-1971-1981 1225: Paint per instructions and pamphlets/brochures of the era. Balsa NC, round leading edge, tapered trailing edge of fins.

-1971-1981 1225: Catalog scheme, Balsa NC, round leading edge, tapered trailing edge of fins.

1982-1990 1225: Catalog scheme, PNC-50KA nose (first listed as PNC in 1983), round leading & trailing edges of fins.

1991-1997 1225: Catalog/Header scheme, PNC-50K nose, round leading & trailing edged fins, waterslide decals.

1998-Current 1225: Catalog Scheme, PNC-50K nose, flat leading, trailing, & tip edges of fins (as shown in catalog), Pressure sensitive stickers.

1971-1981 EK-25/1419 Alpha II/Metric Alpha II: Painted in scheme from 1971-1981 instruction set, round leading, trailing, and tip edges per 1408 instructions. No decals.

1971-1972 K-56 Alpha III: Red NC & fincan, white airframe; no decals.

1973-1992 K-56/1256 Alpha III: Red NC & fincan, white airframe, black decals

1993-current 1256 Alpha III: Catalog/Header Scheme Note black decals and more orange airframe paint (this contradicts supplied decals).

1993- current 1256 Alpha III: Supplied Decals scheme (primarily orange which contradicts catalog/header card).

1998: 1258 Alpha IV: Self explanatory

The only missing link is the Super Alpha, Ready to Fly, kit# 0717. Here's where I need your help verifying the following.

1)I have seen a photo once, but have since forgotten color scheme. If you have a photo, or can help shed light, I'd be appreciative .
2)I believe the nosecone to be a PNC-50Y. Can you verify this?
3)I believe the body tube to be a BT-50H (7.75" long). Can you verify this?

Thanks in advance for your assistance!

-Eric-
Old 11-17-2010, 08:30 PM
Paper Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECayemberg
Please help me complete the collection...feed the addiction! A while back I decided to build every version of the Estes Alpha. The different versions consist of different Alpha number (I-IV), kit numbers (K-25, 1225, EK-25, 1408, 1421, etc.), fin shapes and contouring, nosecone shapes & materials, and so on.

<snip>

The only missing link is the Super Alpha, Ready to Fly, kit# 0717. Here's where I need your help verifying the following.

1)I have seen a photo once, but have since forgotten color scheme. If you have a photo, or can help shed light, I'd be appreciative .
2)I believe the nosecone to be a PNC-50Y. Can you verify this?
3)I believe the body tube to be a BT-50H (7.75" long). Can you verify this?

Thanks in advance for your assistance!

-Eric-

Hmmm... This is the first time I've ever heard of that one. According to the Starter Kit List, it was produced from 1985 to 1987, and it isn't shown in the catalogs from those years. Like you, Eric, I am an Alpha Maniac (haven't built a collection like yours but I have built and flown several Alphas of different sizes and vintages - it was my first rocket back in '73 when I started). I'm really hoping someone can provide a photo of this bird!

Greg

PS - really nice collection, BTW!
Old 11-17-2010, 08:39 PM
Dazed and Confused

I am only familiar with the current Super Alpha, which is BT-60 based. I've never heard of the "classic" Super Alpha. I don't recall ever seeing it in a catalog. Does this mean it was a retail only product?
Old 11-17-2010, 08:44 PM
Dazed and Confused

I like your earliest Alpha. It's very similar to one I did that is based on a late 60's Boys' Life magazine ad.

Old 11-17-2010, 09:36 PM
Paper Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
I am only familiar with the current Super Alpha, which is BT-60 based. I've never heard of the "classic" Super Alpha. I don't recall ever seeing it in a catalog. Does this mean it was a retail only product?

According to the Starter Kit List here on YORS:

http://www.rocketshoppe.com/info/es...er_kit_list.pdf

Number 0717 Super Alpha was produced from 1985 to 1987. It does not appear in any of the catalogs archived on Ninfingers. That makes me wonder if it was sold through some special deal, such as the Sears Wishbook or something similar (I seem to remember Estes did that sort of thing at one time or another). Where or how it was sold is not in the Kit List.

Which begs the question - who compiled the Kit List in the first place and where did they get that info? You guys have gotten me super curious now - I gotta know what it looked like!

Greg
Old 11-17-2010, 09:49 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpoehlein
Which begs the question - who compiled the Kit List in the first place and where did they get that info?
I wanna say Neil Tarasoff did one back in the rmr days, but this doc was done in 2008, and Neil's been out of rocketry longer than that. Maybe John Brohm? I did a ctrl-D on the pdf, but there was no author info included.

Doug

YORF member #11
Old 11-17-2010, 10:23 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpoehlein
According to the Starter Kit List here on YORS:

http://www.rocketshoppe.com/info/es...er_kit_list.pdf

Says it was an RTF to boot. That makes me even more curious to know if it was just a regular Alpha that was pre-assembled, or if it was like these 200 lb beasts we have now with the plastic twist-on motor retainers.
Old 11-17-2010, 10:52 PM
Old Submariner

I don't have any helpful info. for you, but I LOVE your collection!

4 out of 3 people struggle with math.

Chemically, alcohol IS a solution.

NAR# 94042
SAM# 0078
Old 11-17-2010, 11:46 PM
Paper Rocketeer

Well, no dice on the Sears Wish Book angle - I found a Flickr set of the complete Wish Book from 1986 and there are no rockets in there at all. A few RC airplanes and a couple of model trains but no rockets.

Greg
Old 11-18-2010, 06:29 AM
Craftsman

It's a rare one; that's for sure! Scott Hansen has one or more that I'd like to purchase in the near future

Here's a link to the set of instructions: Click me

The photo I saw was one being sold on Ebay....probably 5 or more years ago. I bid, but hadn't really started the project at that time, so the price tag quickly elevated beyond my willingness to bid!

Thanks for the comments so far!!!

-Eric-