Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Building Techniques
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2006, 10:15 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Default Flight of the Semroc Mars Lander

Greetings all. I found this web site recently and like it very much. I am a BAR, having got back into the hobby off and on over the last 10 years. My 8 year old has gotten the rocket bug and it is a great way for us and all the rest of my children to spend enjoyable time together. I built the Semroc Mars Lander after wanting one for years but being discouraged after seeing what they go for on Ebay. Anyway, I flew it for the first time Sunday on a B4-2. It took off straight but pretty much started flying almost horizontal. The chute deployed and it landed safely. I believe a more powerful engine would have had it fly into the ground. Has anyone else had a similair experience with flying the Mars Lander. I believe some weight might be needed up front, but what do you all think?
Old 06-01-2006, 11:00 PM
BP Mafia

Chan Stevens had a similar problem with his Lander. He solved the problem by adding 1/4 oz. of noseweight in the form of a washer and it seemed to do the trick. He flew it at this past weekend's Quark launch on a C6-3 and the flight was perfect. (Very low-level, but spot-on for stability and it recovered well.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  semroc mars lander liftoff.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  76.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  semroc mars lander drops the hammer.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  75.5 KB  

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Mini Dactyl Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Groonie Der V 1/2
Old 06-02-2006, 08:43 AM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekafant
Greetings all. I found this web site recently and like it very much. I am a BAR, having got back into the hobby off and on over the last 10 years. My 8 year old has gotten the rocket bug and it is a great way for us and all the rest of my children to spend enjoyable time together. I built the Semroc Mars Lander after wanting one for years but being discouraged after seeing what they go for on Ebay. Anyway, I flew it for the first time Sunday on a B4-2. It took off straight but pretty much started flying almost horizontal. The chute deployed and it landed safely. I believe a more powerful engine would have had it fly into the ground. Has anyone else had a similair experience with flying the Mars Lander. I believe some weight might be needed up front, but what do you all think?

Can't help you with the lander (haven't built mine yet), but welcome back to rocketry and YORF! If you haven't found it yet, Thrustline Aerospace is a great place to get clone kits.

-Paul
Old 06-05-2006, 06:23 PM
Craftsman

I've flown my Lander clone 3 times with B6-2's and had great success. I might try a C6-3 tomorrow. I did add nose weight to mine, 2 lead discs. Don't pack the parachute to tight, on my last flight I did this and it did not have time to open. The lander only makes it to about 80-100ft.

I posted a movie of the launch over at the yahoo marslander group. Sorry the quality is not great.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  ml.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  91.7 KB  
Old 06-11-2006, 07:28 PM
Craftsman

Default Mars Lander first flight

I launched my Semroc Mars Lander for the first time today. Not being a big fan of B motors in her I used a C63. IT WAS COOL. Nice straight boost, nosed over..... seemed to take a LONG time for the chute to deploy..... Out she came for a nice landing. Didn't stick it though.
Looking forward to many more flights. I agree with the fact that you really need to wait for a calm day to fly it. I believe she would weathercock badly in a breeze.
Mark T
Old 06-22-2006, 03:05 PM
Craftsman

I launched mine on a C6-3 the last week, It went much higher than I expected. A nice flight up to about 200-250 ft. I think the C6-3 was made for the lander! 2 of the 4 days I launched were windy and I had no problems.

On the 3rd flight the bottom leg dowel broke when the 'chute did not open. It was fixed with some epoxy and seems 100%. I'm not sure how many more times I will launch it.

Mark
Old 06-27-2006, 08:07 AM
Craftsman

Default Mars Lander

I have read numerous posts about extra nose weight in the ML, and I chose to ignore it.
I flew mine last Saturday in not a lot of wind(2nd flight) it was unstable as heck, crash landed. THEN ejected the chute(the infamous "Wile E Coyote"ejection system).
Mine suffered a jammed leg,and dented body wraps by the nose.
I am putting nose weight in it as soon as I am done typing this. Please let my misfortune be a wake up call to all of you ML owners.
My ML will fly again.
Mark T
Old 06-27-2006, 09:34 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

And why did you choose to ignore the posts about adding nose weight ?
Interested in a wacky rocket-destroying flight ? That should be performed with a piece-o'-junk rocket, not a time-consuming build such as the ML.
I will be adding nose weight to my Semroc Mars Lander.
Interestingly enough, I built 3 original Estes Mars Landers (one is still flying, one was a C5-3 CATO victim, one was a Cox 18mm D8-3 CATO victim) and NONE of them required any nose weight to fly stable.
Perhaps some of the lower components (harder/denser balsa for legs, etc.) in the Semroc kit weigh significantly more than the old Estes parts in the original kits.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 06-27-2006, 09:40 AM
Craftsman

The ML was built for me,I had one flight which worked beautifully,I didn't see the need.Now I do.
Mark
Old 06-27-2006, 09:51 AM
Craftsman

As I posted before, mine is not the Semroc kit it is a clone. I did use the Semroc wraps they are very nice (as are all the parts in the Semroc kit). I did use nose weights, And I did overbuild/paint the lower half of the lander. I have not put mine on a scale but I know it is heavy. I have flown it 6 times, once on the C6-3, and in winds gusting to about 10-12 mph with no stability problems.

The parts in the Semroc lander are all high quality so I don't think it is the kit. Could it be the new Estes motors? are they heavier than in the past? Has anyone launched the lander on Quest motors?

Mark