Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2014, 12:06 AM
BP Mafia

Default Painting backlog

I swear it's never been this bad in the past. I managed to get out in the yard on Friday to get a coat of paint on my StickerShock Orange Max, but before I got back outside with another bird it started raining. Not much, mind you. Just enough to make it so I'd run the risk of a stray raindrop in the paint. I've got a mess of recent builds that are flyable, but only a few are in primer. Most are still nekkid. The primer fleet includes my El Gato, a squat cluster made with junk pile parts. Also in primer are a vintage Estes Wizard, Quest Flash, an Estes Black Brant clone, Semroc Aphelion, Starlight Super Tiger, Semroc Triton, Penetrator, Nomad, Cherokee C, New Way Check-It, and an Estes Flutter-By. The Logix Explorer has a coat of f&f. Nekkid birds include the Estes Monarch, Vector Force, Stratocruiser D, Leviathan, Payloader II, Maverick XL, D-Region Tomahawk, Cosmic Explorer, Army Hawk, Mosquito, Reflector, Phoenix Bird, Hornet, Custom Sunracer, Custom ATW (currently treed), and an Inflight Mach 10. Today would have been perfect for painting, but I had family obligations all day. Today looks promising, but the insurance guy is coming to see the damage from the pipe that burst in the family room on Tuesday, and my wife has a SVDP meeting so I have to have dinner ready early.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Mini Dactyl Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II, Xarconian Cruiser Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Groonie Der V 1/2
Old 01-13-2014, 10:56 AM
Master Modeler

Wow. I thought I was running behind on the painting.

Everything I have is at least primered. Let's see, lemme takea real count:

An Aero-Dart that's been in primer for what seems like two years.
A Texas Firefly—about the same.
A Tau Zero that only needs a good coat of silver on the body tube and I've screwed it up three (count'em—three) times. A really serious re-sanding has to take place.
A 220 Swift that I want to add some neon orange to.
An Aphelion in primer for the last month.
A Launch Missile with some serious runs and needs re-sanding.
A Drifter that I'm going to have to re-sand (screwed-up the masking).
A Starfire that I finally got an acceptable coat of white on. I was getting tired of sanding that one.

Still, nothing compared to your backlog, 'fish. I don't feel so all alone in this painting jam-up, now.
Old 01-13-2014, 04:01 PM
BP Mafia

So much for the promise of Monday. It's been raining since I woke up. Not anything biblical, but it kills any painting chance I had. At this point I'd take a primer coat day. At least then I could get into the F&F part.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Mini Dactyl Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II, Xarconian Cruiser Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Groonie Der V 1/2
Old 01-13-2014, 04:54 PM
Master Modeler

In Primer:

Texas Firefly
Semroc Maxi-Micron
Semroc . . . Vega? Their Big Bertha type.

Need to finish painting my Hawk's Hobbies Bandit upscale.

I have a few models waiting for decals, including two different Aerobees (Semroc, AAA) and a Deep Space Transport that I built 20 years ago.

Now I really regret not finishing off the one bit of home improvement I meant to do last summer: Screw in some drain boards under my balcony. This would have given me some "dry" space in my townhouse's little back yard. The dog could have hung out there, and I could have painted in it.
NAR #27085 - Oregon Rocketry - SAM
Old 01-13-2014, 04:56 PM
Skill Level VI

This time of year, I just run out on the porch paint quickly as possible and then put the rocket in the heated shop before the paint starts behaving badly. Or just airbrush in the shop with the exhaust fan going...
All you have to do is initiate and propagate a combustive reaction between kerosene and oxygen and direct the resultant gasses through a small aperture in a nozzle at supersonic speed without blowing the whole thing up. It's not rocket science!
Old 01-13-2014, 06:54 PM
Old Submariner

I got caught up today--on primer anyway. The weather in N. IL today was in the 40's, dry, and NO WIND, so I managed to get almost everything primered that was ready for it!

The very long three-stager (yes, three) in the photo is actually an "order mistake", but a welcome one!

Any guesses?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_2393.JPG
Views: 49
Size:  54.6 KB  

4 out of 3 people struggle with math.

Chemically, alcohol IS a solution.

NAR# 94042
SAM# 0078