Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-10-2019, 11:53 PM
BEC's Avatar
BEC BEC is offline
Master Modeler
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Auburn, Washington
Posts: 2,346
Default Conflicting versions: 1980 Centuri catalog

In pulling together the history data in support of the Viking build thread I promised to do in exchange for Sandmanís last Centuri Viking decal (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=15860) I was looking into when the Viking appeared as a variant of the Akela-1. Thereís lots of good info here in various threads (more on that shortly).

As a byproduct of that search I got to looking at the 1980 Centuri catalog, where the Viking first appeared. However, I just noticed something of a discrepancy in posted versions of the catalog. The paper copy of the catalog I have, and the one posted on estesrockets.com (https://www.estesrockets.com/media/...980_Catalog.pdf) shows the introduction of the Viking on pages 34-35 (and the table on contents calls it out on page 35 as new). The catalog as posted on ninfinger.org (http://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/no...a/80cencat.html) has the same table of contents but pages 32-47 donít match my catalog or the one on the Estes site.

My first thought was a different version, but since some pagesí contents are duplicated, Iím more suspicious that the one on ninfinger was assembled from two different catalogs before being scanned and posted.

Has anyone else noticed this....or does anyone else really care ?

Iíll post my own summary of the Vector-V to Akela-1 to Viking to Estes Viking (and Black Diamond) chronology in the beginning of the promised build thread either later tonight or tomorrow. Iím still trying to decide if it should be here in Model Rocket History or Projects.
__________________
Bernard Cawley
NAR 89040 L1 - Life Member
SAM 0061
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-11-2019, 12:55 AM
astronwolf astronwolf is offline
Master Modeler
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 580
Default

I just checked out the discrepancy on the ninfinger site. Starting at page 32, the Ninfinger Centuri 1980 catalog turns into the 1979 Centuri catalog.
__________________
-Wolfram v. Kiparski
NAR 28643
TRA 15520
MTMA Senior Advisor
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-11-2019, 12:29 PM
BEC's Avatar
BEC BEC is offline
Master Modeler
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Auburn, Washington
Posts: 2,346
Default

I figured it was something like that. Thanks.
__________________
Bernard Cawley
NAR 89040 L1 - Life Member
SAM 0061
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-11-2019, 12:46 PM
GlenP's Avatar
GlenP GlenP is offline
Craftsman
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 116
Default

The Viking character showed up in the catalog in 1982, but did he ever make it onto the actual decal sheet?
http://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/nostalgia/82cen02.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  VIKING.PNG
Views: 13
Size:  84.3 KB  
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-11-2019, 02:30 PM
BEC's Avatar
BEC BEC is offline
Master Modeler
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Auburn, Washington
Posts: 2,346
Default

Thatís an interesting question. Heís on the early Estes Vikings (1986 catalog introduction) but I have no idea about the Centuri 1982-1983 releases.

Anyone else know?
__________________
Bernard Cawley
NAR 89040 L1 - Life Member
SAM 0061
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-12-2019, 12:09 AM
blackshire's Avatar
blackshire blackshire is offline
Master Modeler
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Fairbanks, Alaska
Posts: 5,634
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
In pulling together the history data in support of the Viking build thread I promised to do in exchange for Sandmanís last Centuri Viking decal (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=15860) I was looking into when the Viking appeared as a variant of the Akela-1. Thereís lots of good info here in various threads (more on that shortly).

As a byproduct of that search I got to looking at the 1980 Centuri catalog, where the Viking first appeared. However, I just noticed something of a discrepancy in posted versions of the catalog. The paper copy of the catalog I have, and the one posted on estesrockets.com (https://www.estesrockets.com/media/...980_Catalog.pdf) shows the introduction of the Viking on pages 34-35 (and the table on contents calls it out on page 35 as new). The catalog as posted on ninfinger.org (http://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/no...a/80cencat.html) has the same table of contents but pages 32-47 donít match my catalog or the one on the Estes site.

My first thought was a different version, but since some pagesí contents are duplicated, Iím more suspicious that the one on ninfinger was assembled from two different catalogs before being scanned and posted.

Has anyone else noticed this....or does anyone else really care ?

Iíll post my own summary of the Vector-V to Akela-1 to Viking to Estes Viking (and Black Diamond) chronology in the beginning of the promised build thread either later tonight or tomorrow. Iím still trying to decide if it should be here in Model Rocket History or Projects.
I no longer have my 1980 Centuri catalog, which could have shed light on this. If you want to build an initial Estes (BT-20 size) Viking (with the molded-in-red nose cone; it first appeared in the 1986 Estes catalog [see: http://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/ca...86/86est26.html ]), that nose cone can be kitbashed from the Estes Moon Mutt launch/starter set (some had a single, bagged 13 mm motor slipped into them, as I found...). I definitely prefer the original Centuri version of the Viking (with its "borrowed" Vector-V fibre fins), though.
__________________
Black Shire--Draft horse in human form, model rocketeer, occasional mystic, and writer, see:
http://www.lulu.com/content/paperba...an-form/8075185
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6122050
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-12-2019, 12:19 AM
BEC's Avatar
BEC BEC is offline
Master Modeler
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Auburn, Washington
Posts: 2,346
Default

Jason - I built what I would call a Centuri Viking reproduction. See the thread in ďProjectsĒ.
__________________
Bernard Cawley
NAR 89040 L1 - Life Member
SAM 0061
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-12-2019, 01:55 AM
blackshire's Avatar
blackshire blackshire is offline
Master Modeler
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Fairbanks, Alaska
Posts: 5,634
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
Jason - I built what I would call a Centuri Viking reproduction. See the thread in ďProjectsĒ.
Thank you for the nod to me regarding the Akela-1's introduction in Boy's Life. The unusual shock cord mounting method was also used--on a possibly slightly smaller scale; it was 1/2" x 1" in size--in the original Centuri Star Trooper kit (the "long version" with nose ejection, see: http://plans.rocketshoppe.com/centu...M-3/cenKM-3.htm ). Also:

If you want an exact duplicate of the Centuri Viking nose cone, Sirius Rocketry www.siriusrocketry.com makes hollow-cast polyurethane resin duplicates (in molds that are made from the original nose cones) in their "Moldin' Oldies" line. They make more resin duplicate nose cones than are shown in their "Type C" and "Type E" listings (see: http://www.siriusrocketry.biz/ishop...s-and-parts-26/ )--I have a few of their unlisted ones, which include the #7 Akela-1/Viking nose cone.
__________________
Black Shire--Draft horse in human form, model rocketeer, occasional mystic, and writer, see:
http://www.lulu.com/content/paperba...an-form/8075185
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6122050
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-12-2019, 02:21 PM
BEC's Avatar
BEC BEC is offline
Master Modeler
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Auburn, Washington
Posts: 2,346
Default

Star Trooper! Good heavens. That shock cord mount (even with a more compact knot than I tied) in a ST-5 tube? I would expect the thing to be almost blocked.

Thanks for the lead on nose cones....but I think I've carried it about as far as I really want to.
__________________
Bernard Cawley
NAR 89040 L1 - Life Member
SAM 0061
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-15-2019, 06:42 AM
blackshire's Avatar
blackshire blackshire is offline
Master Modeler
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Fairbanks, Alaska
Posts: 5,634
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
Star Trooper! Good heavens. That shock cord mount (even with a more compact knot than I tied) in a ST-5 tube? I would expect the thing to be almost blocked.

Thanks for the lead on nose cones....but I think I've carried it about as far as I really want to.
When I built mine, I used tweezers to install that thin card stock shock cord anchor. Speaking of which, the removable shock cord anchor that I came up with (my friend, Dr. [and Col.--USAF, retired] Roy F. Houchin II, kindly wrote the article and built the prototypes, see: http://www.apogeerockets.com/educat...wsletter231.pdf ) would obviate the need to replace a glued-in shock cord mount). Also, *here* (see: http://www.rocketryforum.com/thread...rd-mount.13279/ ) is coverage--with "after-flight" photographs--of a flight-tested one built by 'McKailas Dad' (and thank you, Chris ['hcmbanjo'], for pointing out in that article that I'd designed it!), and:

You're most welcome for the nose cone leads. The Sirius Rocketry resin duplicates are quite inexpensive, though--their hollow-cast Centuri PNC-70 (used in the Centuri Lil' Herc II and Hummingbird kits) is just $3.95 (see: https://www.siriusrocketry.biz/isho...pnc-70-521.html ), and their PNC-71 (used in the X-24 "Bug" kit) is also $3.95 (see: http://www.siriusrocketry.biz/ishop...pnc-71-174.html ). Their hollow-cast duplicate PNC-76 (which was used in the Centuri Viking and Akela-1) is--if I recall correctly--just ~$5 - ~$7 or so.
__________________
Black Shire--Draft horse in human form, model rocketeer, occasional mystic, and writer, see:
http://www.lulu.com/content/paperba...an-form/8075185
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6122050
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:34 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe © 1998-2018