Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2017, 06:56 PM
Opinions mine; not of NAR or MOF!

Default Sixty Years: The Space Race Begins

In the first weeks after Sputnik the West began to respond. Everything was under examination, from the perceived inadequacy of our rocket technology to fears of sub standard science education standards for youth.

As Sputnik silently crossed America this magazine was on thousands of magazine racks below.

Inside the magazine was an article by G. Harry Stine that would introduce Orville Carlisle and model rocketry to the world. Mr. Stine had an impeccable sense of timing.

Millions of dollars were poured into upgrading science education in the United States and Canada. The N.A.C.A. suddenly found itself obsolete and was soon replaced by NASA. Billions of dollars of defense contracts were signed to accelerate rocket development budgets.

Along with the increased awareness of space and rocketry came home rocketry experimentation and the "Youth Rocketry Problem" otherwise known as the rise of the "Basement Bomber". Thankfully a quiet shoe salesman from Norfolk, Nebraska would come to the rescue with his invention of a safe and reliable motor technology. His invention would save untold thousands from injury and even death.

Here we see a somewhat shelfworn example of a Carlisle Mark II from the Stine Collection.

Orville Carlisle perfected reusable rocket technology long before Space X.

Old 10-07-2017, 07:13 PM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

The ignition method is a punk for the fuse.

cite:
http://v-serv.com/usr/images/rocket.pinup.jpg

Rock-a-Chute safety code 1957

http://v-serv.com/usr/images/1stSafetyCode.jpg
Old 10-24-2017, 04:15 PM

Default Sixty Years Ago

Sputnik 1 created a problem for G. Harry Stine; he no longer had a job. As the author of Earth Satellites and the Race for Space Superiority he was one of the first people asked for reaction to the Sputnik news. His answer to a reporter was a paraphrase of what had been written in his book months before. Nonetheless his words got him canned by Martin Corporation.

Despite outrage and appeals on his behalf from his friend and mentor Robert Henlein, Stine still lacked a paycheck. With increased urgency he began to put the finishing touches on a project that had been brewing in background; creation of Model Missiles Incorporated.

Deep within inner realm of The Museum of Flight lies a dusty and somewhat mysterious crate. It could be easily overlooked by a casual observer. It's open wooden lathwork sides reveal a hidden treasure, obscured by over a half century of dust, a holy relic for both a hobby and a rocketry association on the cusp of it's 60th birthday.

When will it see the light of day?

Old 10-24-2017, 06:55 PM
Craftsman

Open the crate!!
Old 10-25-2017, 12:49 AM
Craftsman

Look's like Rocket Doctor's dream is finally coming true:

https://forums.rocketshoppe.com/showthread.php?t=5140

I hope the Seattle Museum of Flight will be able to display these rare unique items for all to see.

Kind regards,
Jeff Jenkins
aka: Faithwalker
NAR #46879 SR
Old 10-25-2017, 01:16 AM
Craftsman

Quest has a photo on their Model Rocket Museum Photo Library archive site of the Model Missiles, Inc. booth being set up at the 1958 Chicago Hobby Show:

https://web.archive.org/web/2016030...seumgallery.htm

Quest link for additional G. Harry Stine history:

https://web.archive.org/web/2016030...om/q-museum.htm

Kind regards,
Jeff Jenkins
NAR #46879 SR
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  MMI Booth Chicago Hobby Show Feb 5, 1958.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  238.3 KB  

Last edited by Faithwalker : 10-25-2017 at 01:32 AM.
Old 10-25-2017, 01:50 AM
Craftsman

Default G. Harry Stine - Paying Forward video

FYI. James Duffy (Rocket.aero) made a nice tribute video to G. Harry Stine commemorating several of his accomplishments:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXmpnknOOlc&t

Kind regards,
Jeff Jenkins
NAR #46879 SR
Old 11-05-2017, 01:32 PM

You'll be seeing more of this Project Apollo inspired logo very soon! Can anybody find the hidden symbology?

Art by Dave Ginsberg of Planet Pixel Pictures http://pixel-planet-pictures.com/about/about.htm
Old 11-05-2017, 03:05 PM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by pterodactyl
You'll be seeing more of this Project Apollo inspired logo very soon! Can anybody find the hidden symbology?

Art by Dave Ginsberg of Planet Pixel Pictures http://pixel-planet-pictures.com/about/about.htm

Sorry, but I really don't like "patch" inspired logos, unless they really are going to be only patches.

The NAR logo is fine as it is. Though, I've always preferred the gold finned version of the 60's/early 70's (see attached file). The version we've had since the mid 70's always looked clunkier, but probably saved spot ink costs and registration errors. Having the name spelled out, with 'Pay Forward' as the motto is nice.

As for symbology, the only things I can see are four stars and eight planets, or could be 12 stars. At first thought, it doesn't seem fit into any tribute that I can see other than the 12 who walked on the moon. The Bahamas seem to have gotten huge, along with the polar ice cap!

There's a path to the moon (one way, it seems). Is this meant to connect us to the 50th anniversary of the moon flights?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_0611_corrsm2.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  86.4 KB  
Old 11-06-2017, 11:09 AM
Member in Good Standing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royatl
Sorry, but I really don't like "patch" inspired logos, unless they really are going to be only patches.

The NAR logo is fine as it is. Though, I've always preferred the gold finned version of the 60's/early 70's (see attached file). The version we've had since the mid 70's always looked clunkier, but probably saved spot ink costs and registration errors. Having the name spelled out, with 'Pay Forward' as the motto is nice.

As for symbology, the only things I can see are four stars and eight planets, or could be 12 stars. At first thought, it doesn't seem fit into any tribute that I can see other than the 12 who walked on the moon. The Bahamas seem to have gotten huge, along with the polar ice cap!

There's a path to the moon (one way, it seems). Is this meant to connect us to the 50th anniversary of the moon flights?

I agree with much of what you say here, Roy. I would like to see the old gold NAR patch come back, as well as a "Special Edition" NAR Nozzle patch. Limited edition sales to raise some money would be cool. I'd sure buy a couple!